The "Everything is Different" Vanilla feature and bug discussion

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    John, I saw something similar (where I thought I was double-posting) but if I refreshed the page, there was only one. I think it may be related to draft saving, because that is when I typically notice it. Not sure if that is the same behavior you are referencing.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Hrm, I've had a similar experience except in my case deleting the second post results in the first one being deleted as well, not really a big issue because the draft feature saves what I was writing but eh.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Hrm, I've had a similar experience except in my case deleting the second post results in the first one being deleted as well, not really a big issue because the draft feature saves what I was writing but eh.
    I have encountered this as well. Very frustrating.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I've noticed that in the occasion when two posts appear, one is a phantom. If I reload the page, there is actually only one post afterall.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    I've noticed that in the occasion when two posts appear, one is a phantom. If I reload the page, there is actually only one post afterall.
    Ok, I THINK I tried that and it did not always work, but it is interesting that it even happens in the first place. It happens in more than two browsers and in Linux and in Windows, so I think it is nothing here on my end. Happens mostly to me in Trading Post, weirdly enough.

Ah, well, Matt will eventually make sense of it, I do not code in PHP at all to understand what is up here. I also know that vBulletin, for all its failings, never has done this to me.

But, thank you folks and CB, for suggesting this page reloading can help sometimes(for me at least). Will report if it happens again and whether page reloading fixed it. or not.

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Alright I think I know what's going on with the double post thing (Of course this applies only to articles I still have no clue as to why it happens on standard discussions.)

I was posting in the article page for the Mega Man and Pac-Man announced as PS3 exclusives for Street Fighter X Tekken article and when I went in to view it as just the discussion I saw that my in article post had been doubled up so I saved the original text, deleted the original (Which caused the second to be deleted as well) and simply reposted.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    I think it's auto-fetching new comments that's doing it. I've disabled it for now so let me know if the issue persists.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Found a minor bug:
    Appeared as I posted a comment in the discussion. The spoiler bar was about at the top of my browsers window. Not sure if that would mean anything. Also messed around with the added button and it functioned like normal. It was like two light switches for the same outlet.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    When I click on the bookmarks tab this pops up.

wtf?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    HAHA, Hilarious find Canti. Replicated.

-Digi
    edited February 2012
    'wtf' is my universal 'did the script make it this far' code when I'm debugging. I done goofed. :D
    I done awesomed. :D
    FTFY
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    This thread: http://icrontic.com/discussion/95200/the-unsung-heroes-of-ces-2012#Item_2

There are 3 posts (Bobby, Prime, and Branmyson) after Thrax, yet Thrax is seen as the last poster on the "all discussions" page as well as the category "icrontic".
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    That's weird, because I see myself as the first poster logged in or out.
    edited February 2012
    Yes, when I go into the thread, you are first poster.

I mean on the "All discussions" page, when you see the thread "unsung...." it lists you as "last comment posted by.. Thrax at blah blah", it should say Branmyson.. right?
    Looks like that field isn't being updated by front page comment. Hmm.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Can i filter posts from showing up on my "all" tab by forum?
    edited February 2012
    yes, go to the categories tab, hover over a "forum" and you will see a gear appear at the right, just unfollow it. Those you unfollow, will not be included in the "all" tab
    edited February 2012
    Can i filter posts from showing up on my "all" tab by forum?
    Particular threads are not filterable, just a forum/subforum. I asked this at one point and do not believe it changed.
    yes, go to the categories tab, hover over a "forum" and you will see a gear appear at the right, just unfollow it. Those you unfollow, will not be included in the "all" tab
    Danke schön.
    TIL unsubscribing from Minecraft and Bronies eliminates like 80% of forum posts.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Yep... Makes the list MUCH shorter and less disturbing.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Probably a bug. Probably.

Was in my messages inbox reading a PM when I was added to another conversation in messages. I clicked on the pop up notification that informed me of this (the one in the bottom left) and got taken to a white page with the following error code:

{"FormSaved":false,"DeliveryType":"BOOL","Data":"MQ==","InformMessages":[],"ErrorMessages":"","RedirectUrl":""}
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    ...and less disturbing.
    /eyeroll

haters gonna hate.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    I'm still adjusting to the new flow of things, not that I'm a particularly active poster.

For me, personally, having every discussion as the default forum page is intimidating and makes me avoid posting just about anything. I'm hesitant to eliminate entire categories from displaying in "All" because then I never see conversations from those areas. Some of them are easy to ignore because they don't interest me enough to keep them in there.

Most of my replying/posting comes from noticing new replies in threads I've already participated in.

Not really asking for changes, just wanted to share my experience so far. If I were going to recommend a change, it would be to allow us to pick a preference when logged in of what shows up as our default view in the forum. Even something as simple as the ability to set it to a specific category, commented threads, or all would be awesome. Even if it were a "subscriber's only" thing it is certainly something that would send me over the edge for buying a subscription.
    (If any of this doesn't work for you, maybe it is "supporter" related)

I don't know why the default view having all posts makes you more hesitant, as anyone could have seen the post before with one extra click. :/

I ignored a couple categories and haven't looked back yet :)

New replies in threads you've participated in:
    http://icrontic.com/discussions/participated

The preference you might think of could be remedied by setting your IC bookmark to the link above or something similar so that you don't default to the discussions page.
  • Like Tushon pointed out, you can set your default bookmark/link/shortcut whatever to any of the views:
    http://icrontic.com/categories/all (All categories list)
    http://icrontic.com/discussions/participated (participated list like Tushon pointed out)
    http://icrontic.com/categories/fitness (A single category, in this case fitness)

etc.
    edited February 2012
    I know I can set bookmarks. I've had this discussion before, but I don't use bookmarks...ever.

I literally open up chrome and type in every address I'm looking to go to. I always come into Icrontic via the front page because I've ignored the article categories.

Edit for clarification: Not that this isn't a way to get what I'm looking for, but its very hard for me to change my workflow and I'd only be doing it on Icrontic.

The biggest reason I don't use bookmarks is the second a site changes it's scheme (perfect example is Icrontic moving to Vanilla) I have to actively track down the changes that have been made and either edit the old ones and add new ones. It might not happen often, but it's enough to deter me from using them. It's the same reason I don't auto-open windows when I open my browser.
  • Having to change something maybe once a month (most likely less unless you go to stupid sites) is worth being annoyed at your 'workflow' (god I hate that term/ideaology. "HERP DERP THIS SOFTWARE MAKES MY WORKFLOW FEEL LIKE ASS.") every damn day for months on end?

Makes no sense to me.
    edited February 2012
    It's not so much that I'm annoyed now, just find it cumbersome and intimidating.

Simply sharing something I thought would make an awesome addition. I guess not.