If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

The Keto diet

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    Hypo/Hyperthyroid still end up utilizing the same mechanism. People with hypothyroidism have a lower metabolism and burn fewer calories per-time than normal. Hyperthyroids have a higher metabolism and burn more.
    Right, the same total is true, but it is much harder to get rid of calories than a "normal" person because their baseline is so low.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Which is one of the reasons I got so fat, so fast.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited Feb 2012
    Just keep in mind that alcohol metabolizes into sugar. I don't know why vodka is on keto.org, but they're wrong. There's nothing keto about alcohol.
    This came up in discussion on twitter last night, and while I'm not going to say that alcohol doesn't mess up keto, it ALSO does not metabolize into sugar or a carb.

Alcohol is metabolized into acetaldehyde, then to acetic acid, then to carbon dioxide and water. None of those are carbs.

There are byproducts of the reaction, though, that may fuck with the way fat in the bloodstream is metabolized and may lead to the anti-keto benefits. But I don't know enough about this to say whether or not alcohol counts against or messes up keto.

But it's more complicated than "alcohol turns into sugar." That part isn't the case.

Sorry for pedantry, but it seemed worth pointing out.
    I'm also on the "any alcohol is bad" bandwagon. I don't know why they would say that vodka is okay... it's definitely not. While it doesn't have any carbs, it also turns directly into sugar.

One of the easiest ways to look at keto is: pretend you're diabetic.
    Funny you should mention diabetes.

Via webmd:

"Use discretion when drinking alcohol if you have diabetes. Alcohol is processed in the body very similarly to the way fat is processed, and alcohol provides almost as many calories as fat. If you choose to drink alcohol, only drink it occasionally and when your blood sugar level is well-controlled. It's a good idea to check with your doctor to be sure drinking alcohol is acceptable."

Vodka, 80 proof. 0 Glycemic load.
  • CannonFodderCannonFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    So, yesterday I decided that I would severely limit my sugar intake (but not go full on keto.)

Today the only carbs I've had in 24 hrs have been some steamed potatoes for lunch today.

I notice that I have a huge headache, having trouble concentrating, my heart is racing a bit more than normal, and I feel very warm.

Its like a combination of having caffiene withdrawal and having just jogged a half mile.

I'm guessing this will pass as my body starts to get used to it, so I bought some lettuce to replace my normal sandwich bread, some low carb soups, some nuts, eggs, cheese, and bacon today.

And a 12 pack of diet mountain dew.

Its going to be a rough week till I get used to this! :)
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    I notice that I have a huge headache, having trouble concentrating, my heart is racing a bit more than normal, and I feel very warm.

Its like a combination of having caffiene withdrawal and having just jogged a half mile.

I'm guessing this will pass as my body starts to get used to it, so I bought some lettuce to replace my normal sandwich bread, some low carb soups, some nuts, eggs, cheese, and bacon today.

And a 12 pack of diet mountain dew.

Its going to be a rough week till I get used to this! :)
    That's pretty much how I felt on day 3. By the end of that day, though, I was feeling fine.

You will also be amazed at how quickly the first 10lb goes. I dropped the first 6 in 48 hours.
    If I can lose 10 lbs, I'll be winning :) I've been stuck at this weight for 5 years...
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek IREEELAND Icrontian
    First bit of weight lost isn't fat though, it's glycogen and the water stored with it.

First 'normal' meal you have will put it right back on.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    True, but if he keeps on the extreme low-carb train, that won't happen.

That's the beauty of Keto (at least for me). It's self-regulating. I don't overeat, I don't snack, and I don't cheat. I'm just plain not as hungry anymore.
    LOOK at this BEAST of a man. LOOK AT HIM

Pee-on-stick and weigh-in day today.

Solidly moderate.

264.2. That's 20.2lb since 1/4/12. And all by eating bacon, butter, cheese, and sour cream (among other things).
  • WattyzWattyz Michigan Member
    I've been on a break. (suck it...whatever. winter 'blues' have struck. It is what it is.) I haven't gained any back though. Still at 9 down. So, no. I haven't gained it back with my first, second, third meals.

Congrats guys. You're doing a great job.
    Weighed in today. 238. That puts me 47 down and I'm now lighter than when I met Nicole. One more pound and I'll be at the size I was in 2007, when we did the 30 pound challenge that I failed miserably at.

Now, I don't think I'll have any trouble with the 30 pound challenge :)
    I was down to 180 (5lbs) before I left for Cali. Goal for vacation... Not gain that back.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    You did a pretty good job of sticking to it last night, at least up until the point that I left; there were talks of In-and-Out, did you go bunless or did y'all end up somewhere else.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    I commend you, its not easy to pass up a fully loaded Double Double after a few drinks.
    Had one of those wonderful moments this morning.

Put on a pair of jeans fresh out of the dryer and didn't have to suck in/squeeze myself into them. There was actually some room to spare. My belt is currently AWOL and it's been giving me fits all day trying to keep my stupid pants up.
    Good story @AlexDeGruven! Keep it up!
  • waxwax Birmingham Icrontian
    nice job guys! i cant wait to see brian's belt once he retires it. display it as art/motivation in the new ichq.
    Had to share this.

My employer does a healthy rewards program. I can get $100 in my check for completing a wellness survey and a wellness consultation (Weight, cholesterol, consultation, BMI, etc).

I did the wellness survey today and got flagged as "High Risk" on the diet portion because I don't eat 5 servings of whole grains every day.

Even when I'm not on full keto, I couldn't imagine eating that much carbohydrates.
    Aye aye aye....
    It will be interesting when I do the consult. I set it for the first Monday in April (I targeted my keto plan through the end of March). By that point, I should be around the 255 range, which is almost my end goal (240-245).

That's still a BMI of 30.9, which is considered obese. To get to "normal", I'd have to get down to 210 (24.9 BMI), which is patently ridiculous quite frankly.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Feb 2012
    That's because BMI is bullshit, and you should be going by your body fat percentage. Fit is 6-15ish % for an adult male.
    That's why I give it no credence. I think it breaks down even further when you start getting into people built like me or Sledgehammer. When you're tall and big-framed like us, there is a LOT of bone mass that BMI doesn't account for, not to mention the basic fact that volumes don't scale linearly.

When I first reached this height, I was 180lb, which is considered perfect by BMI (21.3). At that time, if I turned sideways, I'd disappear.

When I'm getting toward my numerical goals, then I'll start looking at fat% goals. Even if I hit my current target (245 by 3/31), I'll still be at 29ish, which is right on the edge of overweight and obese.

Man. @Wattyz did a before-and-after TV appearance pic for me. Sheesh. Normally I don't feel like I look that much different, but wow.

edited Feb 2012
    Who's the serial killer in the right photograph? And why are they taking mugshots in front of cityscapes?

AND OH GOD WHY IS HE WEARING BRIAN'S SKIN AS A SUIT???
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    I want there to be a like button on that pic. :)
    This forum is in dire need of like buttons.
    I want the old comic that someone drew after your interview to be side by side with a Wolverine pic...
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    Wolverine looks good on you, bro. Do it.
    Posted this on G+ this morning:

I haven't weighed myself in 3 weeks. gasp

I haven't needed to. I've just been keeping track of the fact that I keep getting smaller.

This week, I noticed that my wedding band (which was a little snug when I got married) is almost loose enough to shake off my hand.

This morning, I put on pants that were a little snug on our honeymoon (11 years ago), and they fit perfectly. I even went down to the last notch in my belt.

Seriously loving this.
    Dear Keto people - Please invent a taco shell that is not made of cheese. Love, Me.
    Dear Keto people - Please invent a taco shell that is not made of cheese. Love, Me.
    I made one with bacon :) Or use a lettuce leaf and make it a taco wrap. :)

Bacon. This is a good idea. Here I was thinking, "I guess you could try and make a keto crepe somehow, and scorch it till its crispy," but crispy eggs doesn't exactly sound like a good idea.
    Dear RyanMM: It's time to stop being seven years old about cheese. Love, Me. :p
    lol. <3 you too. ;)
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    A taco without cheese is hardly a taco at all.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    You're not really on Keto, are you Ryan? Weight-loss diets are for people who are, you know, fat.
    I'm not on keto, but I do try and reduce empty/pointless carbs when possible. Watching what you eat doesn't end when you're in the neighborhood of your goal weight. "Keeping weight off" is something that requires a lifetime of habit change.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    A taco without cheese is hardly a taco at all blasphemy.
    Fixed
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian
    Betsy and I frequently make an easy meal we call 'taco boats'.

Cut a couple bell peppers in half, fill with taco stuff (we just use taco spiced chicken and onions), top with cheese, bake at 350 for about ten minutes, broil for the last couple minutes for browned cheese.

If you skip the cheese, also skip the broil, and cover them with something else or the meat will dry out a bit on top.

We like this so much, and it's so easy to make, we have it at least once a week.
    making a list to start this again. All this talk of tacos and cheese...nom.
    Cheese is the spackling paste of the culinary world. Doesn't taste good enough? Dump some cheese on it. It's used to hide the flaws and weaknesses of most of the stuff it's put on. Give me a taco brimming with properly seasoned, spiced ground beef or pork, some fresh greens, sliced scallions, and bright, vibrant salsa. You can keep the cheese.

There are a number of dishes where cheese is truly an integral ingredient, not able to be omitted, and I care for none of those. Enjoy your chicken cordon bleu and broccoli cheddar soups, I'll be over here with the stuff I find delicious. More cheese for you!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Orange, CA Icrontian
    edited Mar 2012
    Why do people get pissy about this? What part of

MOAR CHEESE FOR YOU

is a bad thing? I'm not trying to ban cheese, for gouda's sake!
    I am seriously impressed by the Baco™ Shell.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian
    No one is pissy, I think, we just want to make sure you understand how completely wrong you are about cheese. :p

Friends don't let friends disparage cheese ;)