Interesting radio piece: should sugar be regulated?

2»

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    eat what you want. why you trying to live to 120 anyways... :D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    Zuntar bows to Mr. MT_Goat.

Sad truth: it is expencive to eat heathy.
    Actually think of it like having money taken out of your pay put into a 401K. You may miss a little now but by the time you file your taxes you are way ahead. In this case, eating healthy is paying forward on your health so you don't spend so much on after care!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    The HFCS issue is entering the zeitgeist in full now. I can tell when this happens because I start to get lots of student papers on an issue. :p
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    This whole sugar thing is nothing but a bunch of politicians trying to get re-elected, and they have jumped on sugar as the latest health threat to "show that they care". They care, all right. About keeping their easy high paid jobs and getting lots of cash on the side.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    ... What politician is running on the "sugar is bad" platform? :wtf:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    William Crest of the Fluoride Party.

He also has general appeal from his time serving in the Toothopolis Defense Force during the Cavity Creep Wars of the early 80's. He earned a metal of valor for his service during the Cake Party of '82, and was instrumental in overhauling the Tothopolis Coast Guard a few years later. Everyone loves a veteran.

Unfortunately, he's very small, and lives inside my mouth, so he's gotten very little media attention, and only about 3% of primary votes.

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    Follow the money.
  • waxwax the neroberg Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    JIMMY MCMILLIAN! SUGAR DISTRIBUTION IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

edit: check this out: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/by-2606-us-diet-will-be-100-percent.html
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    If governement should be involved in any way it needs to be in accurate public health education and discouraging misleading marketing.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'd be happy with an overhaul of deceptive food labeling; maybe QR codes to bring food labeling into the 21st century, no more serving size bullshit (for example, a "one packet per bottle" tube of Crystal Light lists its serving size as "1/2 a packet", even when the instructions say "pour one packet into a bottle of water").
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    I'd be happy with an overhaul of deceptive food labeling; maybe QR codes to bring food labeling into the 21st century, no more serving size bullshit (for example, a "one packet per bottle" tube of Crystal Light lists its serving size as "1/2 a packet", even when the instructions say "pour one packet into a bottle of water").
    Agreed, I'd say its gotten better though. I like that many lables give the serving size as well as facts for the entire package. I'd say that falls into the marketing aspect as well. I'm just saying marketing a food as "LOW FAT!" while its loaded with calories from carbs and sugar isnt fair to someone who is trying to lower their fat, but doesnt know any better. Organic vs all organic vs natural... all these buzzwords that have crazy FDA definitions behind them. Thats frustrating too.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Honesty in labeling (like the serving size BS) and reduction in the acronym soup that graces the labels on food would be great steps in the right direction.