An Intimate Request

AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and HubrisAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited February 2012 in Hardware
As most of you know, Prag and I are in the market for wedding rings. I figured I would outsource the project a bit. What is your favorite wedding ring style? Vendor? Metal? Why? Any opinions at all? Let us have 'em!

*we may not give any weight to your opinion at all, but hell, we will read them!

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    My ring is titanium, my wife's is white and yellow gold with diamonds. Nothing matching about them. As for vendor, no clue. We bought them at Ultra Diamonds because they were inexpensive.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    You should each cut off your ring fingers and have them attached to the other person, that way you will always be together, and the scar can be a permanent, unremovable ring.
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    All I know is - don't get a tension setting on the rings (if you're putting stones in)! It looks cool, but unless you've got a really hard metal in the ring, the stones can really easily get loose/lost :( Also, keep in mind the things you like to do - for instance, in my field, its amazing how many people (women especially, but not always) forget that they have to wear gloves all day and get ginormous diamonds that just end up cutting the latex.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I think you guys should get something industrial and classy. One metal that looks amazing for rings is Damascus steel
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I mean, check this out. Incredible

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    ^That looks awesome the lines are just so cool.

My two cents, Irish pattern silver looks beautiful I can't find any pictures just yet but the winding/braided nature of Irish silver work is simply great.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    Second vote for industrial and classy.

lol @ posting this in "Hardware"
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Tungsten carbide for dudes. Immortal and science.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Platinum provides a nice heft while maintaining a small profile.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    Immortal perhaps, but not everlasting?

Tungsten carbide, also called cemented carbide, has become a popular material in the bridal jewelry industry due to its extreme hardness and high resistance to scratching. While the material’s hardness contributes to its scratch resistance, this trait translates into low ductility (a type of plasticity) which results in a material that is brittle. This can be improved using a cobalt or nickel binder. Using nickel as the binder also makes the ceramic extremely resistant to corrosion from acids or sea water.

Other structural factors influence durability. When fashioned into a wedding band, any grooves, plastic, metal inlays, diamonds, precious or non-precious gemstones set within Tungsten Carbide create additional voids beyond what is already a non-solid material. These voids, or lack of material, translate into a lack of support under compression or pressure. When Tungsten Carbide is dropped or repeatedly tapped on a hard surface (like a table top or stair railing), a tungsten carbide wedding ring may fracture, chip or break. This is due to fatigue, the combination of low ductility and lack of material support within any given void.

Design variations can make a tungsten carbide wedding band even more prone to fracture. Holes formed to hold gemstones leave a maximum of only two points of support, while both “grooved" and “channeled” designs, which are popular within the jewelry industry, further weaken the structural integrity of the ring. When coupled with low ductility, all three design motifs magnify the rings ability to break. Tungsten Carbide is not a solid metal – it is a ceramic. "Cemented carbide" is formed by sintering fine powders (powder metallurgy) of tungsten ( or sometimes tungsten oxide) and graphite which will form the carbide along with powdered nickel (and / or cobalt) based alloys as bonding agent, creating a metal matrix composite through high pressure. It is the gaps between bonding agent and aggregate that creates the brittleness that leads to structural failure. A SEM micrograph of cobalt and of tungsten carbide reveals the crystal-lattice differences.

(Not a vote one way or another, and apologies for the sidetrack - was just interested in learnin'.)
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    This is what I have, it's pretty swank. I think you guys saw it at the wedding.

Unless you're going to put it in a press, it's unlikely that it'll shatter.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Just this:

Yellow Gold, while valuable, is, in my opinion, the ugliest metal on Earth.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    I have tungston, I love it , my wife has white cold with diamonds
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Gotta say it, damascus can make some pretty cool patterns.
    TiberiusLazarus
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    Charity went with a simple white gold band, and I went with a tungsten carbide. We bought them from Blue Nile. I also bought the engagement ring from there, and I've been using them for a while for jewelry. Never had a bad experience. Her thought was that having anything more than a simple band would detract from the engagement ring, and she was happy that she could get it engraved. Of course, to each her own. :)

Charity's: http://www.bluenile.com/wedding-ring-white-gold_20377

Mine: http://www.bluenile.com/tungsten-carbide-wedding-ring_20337
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    Just get it from NewEgg. I got the ceramic version before the Tungsten came out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=00E-0009-000E7
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    I second (or at this point, fifth) this. Only issue is that they are virtually indestructible so if you have an issue in which someone would need to cut the ring off your finger, it ain't going to happen... May as well cut your finger from your hand first. But this may also show your dedication to the one you love (as was the line I used to my wife when I got this type of ring)...

:)

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Just this:

Yellow Gold, while valuable, is, in my opinion, the ugliest metal on Earth.
    Racist.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    I think a hammered metal finish would be awesome, and would look great with yours, Anne. Something not too harsh, but more of a natural look. We may have to set up a chat date and peruse Etsy. ;)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Platinum is awesome except a bit softer than I'd like. The 14 years with my ring and it is a bit misshapen but I LOVE the weight.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Platinum is awesome except a bit softer than I'd like. The 14 years with my ring and it is a bit misshapen but I LOVE the weight.
    That's because you're not supposed to beat people whilst wearing it.
  • Or fling them from a moving golf cart.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian

Its a bit hard to see but we got CB a cool square ring with an infinity on each side. My wedding band is just a boring plain band that meshes up with my engagement ring. I would have to root through my ancient emails to find where we bought it, but we bought it online for not very much.
  • @snarkasm talk metallurgy to me.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    smelt me, smelt me!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    I say Beryllium is the way to go. It is unique, durable, very light and geekish beyond the dreams of other materials.

• I'm gonna go ahead and call it: Depleted Uranimum is going to be the wedding band of choice in the twenty-teens.