No Power to keyboard, mouse or monitor

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    KiwiMutant wrote:
    I was recently given a computer. Gigabyte GA- 7N400 Pro 2 motherboard with AMD Athlon CPU. Had 430w power supply but swapped for 350w from another comp. Had variety of cards : SPDIF, TV, etc. Has no onboard graphics so have installed Geforce FX5200 so can attach monitor. Had no Ram so put in 2 x DDR 400 512mb as per mobo specs. Had no HDD and replaced a faulty DVD RW drive. Removed heatsink. cleaned and reset with new ArcticSilver 5. Cleared CMOS and Bios. Have detached all PCI cards except FX5200. When power on fans run so CPU is good. There are no beeps. Have usb optical mouse which lights up but no keyboard, either usb or ps2, and no monitor so can't access bios. Have tried the ramless boot but no luck. If perhaps this thread is still running does anyone have a suggestion please?

Your PSU should be adequate, assuming it is known good. The mobo should have an AGP connection on it, but you may not have that ancient cable :D . The fans spinning up do not necessarily indicate a good CPU.

The most important part I saw in your post was the lack of beeps, which can mean a bad mobo, especially if you get no beeps with either CPU or RAM not in the board. How do you plan on accessing the computer without a monitor for at least initial setup?

KiwiMutant wrote:
    Sorry I may be seeing things incorrectly as I have only learned by messing with computers but I have an ASUS P5VDC mother board which has two DDR slots and two DDR2 slots which cannot be run simultaneously.

That I have seen, though I think those wishy-washy transitional products are silly.
  • KiwiMutantKiwiMutant Dannevirke, New Zealand
    edited December 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    Your PSU should be adequate, assuming it is known good. The mobo should have an AGP connection on it, but you may not have that ancient cable :D . The fans spinning up do not necessarily indicate a good CPU.

The most important part I saw in your post was the lack of beeps, which can mean a bad mobo, especially if you get no beeps with either CPU or RAM not in the board. How do you plan on accessing the computer without a monitor for at least initial setup?

That I have seen, though I think those wishy-washy transitional products are silly.

Thanks for the reply. As far as the beeps go, I get no beeps with or without ram installed. If I remove CPU I get loud buzz and power switches off. The ATX power supply works but showed low voltage (2.89) on the 3.3v in bios on computer it came from but still ran. Aside from ps2 x 2, USB x 4 and Ethernet as well as usual audio connectors the only other available ports are an LPT and 2 x 9pin serial. Would the onboard AGP connector be one of those please? The other odd thing about this board is it is Dual Bios (has 2 bios chips). I only assumed that fan spinning means CPU works because someone stated that earlier in this thread but logic suggests that only indicates power getting to the board.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    KiwiMutant wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. As far as the beeps go, I get no beeps with or without ram installed. If I remove CPU I get loud buzz and power switches off. The ATX power supply works but showed low voltage (2.89) on the 3.3v in bios on computer it came from but still ran. Aside from ps2 x 2, USB x 4 and Ethernet as well as usual audio connectors the only other available ports are an LPT and 2 x 9pin serial. Would the onboard AGP connector be one of those please? The other odd thing about this board is it is Dual Bios (has 2 bios chips). I only assumed that fan spinning means CPU works because someone stated that earlier in this thread but logic suggests that only indicates power getting to the board.

Well, power supplies can go partly bad, or weaken so that they go to low voltage, and underpowered power supplies can also undervoltage motherboards and RAM and other things like video cards. That can hide the problem with a set of other things looking like they are bad (they could be bad, but PSU is likely also to be bad or damaged inside).

The PSU I would replace with a new one as a try at fixing - many times with many computers things have been fixed with a new power supply after a surge got to it and it gracefully partly died rather then surging other stuff.

John.
    edited December 2011
    Thanks John. I know the power supply to be faulty. The computer it came from was crashing periodically and the 3.3voltage in CMOS was showing low and there are no more crashes after I replaced it. I was hoping it would at least boot this machine as I don't currently have a spare PSU. I'll shelve it until I can get another and then try again. Thanks for the help. This has been the most responsive forum I have joined and I'll be back with any future issues I have. Thanks again.

Remember, There are no problems only solutions yet to find.
    edited December 2011
    Houston, we have liftoff. I was about to pack up and leave the machine until I could replace the PSU when I thought I'd give it one last shot. I thought perhaps there might be a device trying to draw off the faulty 3.3voltage suplly and if I disconnected any unnecessary devices it might work. The only cards that I had left in aside from the graphics card were a modem card and a 3 port USB 2 card. I removed those and voila it boots up. Am now loading an OS onto drive and will eventually replace the PSU. Needless to say, this makes me very happy.

"There are no stranger, but friends yet to meet."
    edited December 2011
    KiwiMutant wrote:
    Houston, we have liftoff. I was about to pack up and leave the machine until I could replace the PSU when I thought I'd give it one last shot. I thought perhaps there might be a device trying to draw off the faulty 3.3voltage suplly and if I disconnected any unnecessary devices it might work. The only cards that I had left in aside from the graphics card were a modem card and a 3 port USB 2 card. I removed those and voila it boots up. Am now loading an OS onto drive and will eventually replace the PSU. Needless to say, this makes me very happy.

"There are no stranger, but friends yet to meet."

Happy it worked.... :D
  • StarBreakerStarBreaker Spain
    edited December 2011
    If smeone is interested how i resolved my problem with my PC here you have it . i recently updated my PC . i changed my CPU and motherboard , power suply and metal box ( sorry , dont know how to say it ) and today i started the PC but it doesnt work . no power to Dysplay , keyboard and mouse . i was streesed up , i tryed to change the RAM slots but nothing , till i touched the VIDEO CARD FAN while it was running , imediately the screen and mouse and keyboard comesto life . so it was the VIDEO CARD to me . i hope , i really hope this will be read by them who have the problem and help them . :rockon:
    edited December 2011
    If smeone is interested how i resolved my problem with my PC here you have it . i recently updated my PC . i changed my CPU and motherboard , power suply and metal box ( sorry , dont know how to say it ) and today i started the PC but it doesnt work . no power to Dysplay , keyboard and mouse . i was streesed up , i tryed to change the RAM slots but nothing , till i touched the VIDEO CARD FAN while it was running , imediately the screen and mouse and keyboard comesto life . so it was the VIDEO CARD to me . i hope , i really hope this will be read by them who have the problem and help them . :rockon:

The metal box is a case in computer-speak. The video card might have been loose in the place it goes into (socket), or dusty and then being overheating real quick(which would make it turn off), or bad.

Thanks for sharing.

John.
  • I have a similar problem: when I turn the PC on, hard disk is working, no power to monitor (does'nt turn green), no power to keyboard, and probably no power to mouse too. I don't hear beeping sound. Is this a motherboard issue? I'm thinking of buying a motherboard if I can confirm that this has something to do with the motherboard. Appreciate any help. Thanks.
    d1g1t8 did you ever solve your problem ??
    I'm currently having this issue. I just moved my computer from my old apartment to my new apartment and before i packed it up i cleaned up the CPU a bit it was clogged with all this dust.

Right now my computer doesnt have power to the keyboard and mouse and i have no functioning monitor (both monitors have power). Fans are running. No beep sounds when i turn it on.

I tried to unplug all the ram 4x1024 corsair ddr2's and turned it on but it still doesnt work.
    tried replugging power and all.

Help please?

had it in the storage for a month before today.

Thanks alot.

Hi, everyone I have the almost extact problem as all of you but I have replaced my mobo and I still get no power signal to monitor and no power to keyboard, mouse. I have been trying to fix this for about a month now off and on, on my own and still no luck anyone got any ideas that I have missed to try. I get a green light on the motherboard, all fans come on, sounds like it power ups all right but I get nothing of a beep code can't remember if I supposed to.

What I have tried is reseting everything, taking everything out and puting back in, tried using monitor, keyboard, mouse on other systems they work fine. Also tried using video card on another comp worked fine, tried powering the system on/off several times to no affect. I have tried different power supplies still nothing. I have even tried puting parts in piece by piece and powering it up still nothing on monitor, keyboard, mouse, I hope I gave you all enough info on whats going on with it. Please anyone help me
    Try this: careully remove the Battery, keep it out for 30 seconds to a minute, put back in. Then see if it starts. If not, read motherboard manual to find out what jumper needs to be set.

Why: some motherboards come with a jumper block (little thing that connects two pins) disconnected, so the BIOS is not enabled (then computer will not start up or show video at all, no power to run the Setup program automatically that adjusts settings for stuff and then lets computer start up). Some come with tape on CMOS battery that needs to be removed. Please tell us if this does not work at all.

I have a similar problem: when I turn the PC on, hard disk is working, no power to monitor (does'nt turn green), no power to keyboard, and probably no power to mouse too. I don't hear beeping sound. Is this a motherboard issue? I'm thinking of buying a motherboard if I can confirm that this has something to do with the motherboard. Appreciate any help. Thanks.
    d1g1t8 did you ever solve your problem ??
    I'm currently having this issue. I just moved my computer from my old apartment to my new apartment and before i packed it up i cleaned up the CPU a bit it was clogged with all this dust.

Right now my computer doesnt have power to the keyboard and mouse and i have no functioning monitor (both monitors have power). Fans are running. No beep sounds when i turn it on.

I tried to unplug all the ram 4x1024 corsair ddr2's and turned it on but it still doesnt work.
    tried replugging power and all.

Help please?

had it in the storage for a month before today.

Thanks alot.

Hi squeeze me, It's possible that when you cleaned the dust from the CPU you may have loosened a connection inside the case. Check all connections and make sure all cards are seated correctly. If you removed the heatsink to clean it then you may need to reseat the heatsink with new thermal paste. Generally speaking if the heatsink is not seated correctly then you'll get a loud buzzing sound when you try to boot.

As a tip I use a small electric compressor (can buy for about $10) with a needle valve attached (used to pump up footballs). This way I can get inside the fins to blow the dust out. Especially useful on laptops and avoid having to take them apart.

Hope this helps.

• hi guys, this seems to be the place to ask this question,, but ive had same issue, i connect a mutimedia keyboard on my asus tower, then everything died on me, i have no lights on my monitor,, no signal, mouse lights up tho, and fans all fire up,, i can hear any noise from hard disk tho, i have tried monitor on another pc and its fine, also tried gfx card and thats ok too, have tried putting in another hdd and still no luck, ive reset all the ram as suggested above all connections have been unplugged and re plugged, but stil have nothing,, any ideas??? please help
    hi guys, this seems to be the place to ask this question,, but ive had same issue, i connect a mutimedia keyboard on my asus tower, then everything died on me, i have no lights on my monitor,, no signal, mouse lights up tho, and fans all fire up,, i can hear any noise from hard disk tho, i have tried monitor on another pc and its fine, also tried gfx card and thats ok too, have tried putting in another hdd and still no luck, ive reset all the ram as suggested above all connections have been unplugged and re plugged, but stil have nothing,, any ideas??? please help
    I have an ASUS P5VDC motherboard which requires a jumper to be set depending on whether you are using a 4x or 8x graphics card. May be worth looking at. Also, if there is an onboard agp, connect the monitor there and remove ALL pci cards. If it boots then reconnect the cards one at a time starting with the gfx and you can find out which is causing the issue. I had exactly the same issue with a GA-N7400 mobo. It didn't have any onboard agp so had to leave the gfx card in, but when i removed the ethernet card and a multi port usb 2 card, the machine booted up. I was able to later reinstall an ethernet card and all has been fine since. Also if you get it to boot as far as the Bios settings hit the default settings. Also try resetting the cmos. Assuming the mm keyboard is usb, try it in a different slot. Or go back to the old keyboard. Hope some of this is usefull.
  • edited February 2012
    hiya, thanx for the reply, but it only had 1 card in, and that was gfx card,, but i tried that in diff pc and that was ok there, i did a soft build, with just hard disk in for start, and nothing still, i will try removing the litle lithium battery as i heard thats 1 way of resetting bios to defaults,, other than that i havent got a clue, weird that all i did was plug a new usb keyboard in and this happened, im quite good with pcs anyway so i know i have all my data safe, and if i really have to will build another pc, jst that i really liked this 1 and im confused as to why this would happen,, its been running great for well over a year, and i look after it,, another help on the matter would be really appreciated, thanx again for the reply,,

to help also with this probb,, it doesnt have an onboard gfx card, just pci,, verything else inonboard tho,, its an asus p50 se plus mobo,, 2 gb ram, 500 gb hard disk asus dvdrom,, and as i say, been running perfect til now,

//edit: sorry asus p5Q SE PLUS, LOL
    Ok, weird old question-- even some modern BIOSs still have this quirk with USB cards (and not built-in USB sometimes):

When you get video, can you try enabling Legacy USB? in your BIOS Do you then, after powering down and inserting card, get video?
  • hi guys, thanx for all support here, but ive fixed rhis prob now,, i took out lithium battery, left if for half hour,, stripped it right down to bare bones, plugged battery back in, and reconnected parts 1 by 1 until i finally heard bios beeps, luckily didnt take long as i only had hard disk, dvd rom, and gfx card to plug in 1 by 1, but glad to say its all workin again, then was just a case of updating info in bios and few settings here n there, but was well worth the few odd mins,, thanx sooo much for help,, if any1 has same prob, thats what i did to solve my prob, so may work for any1 elses,, cheers again guys,, im a mooocho happy man again, lol
  • Hey i had the same problem with my hp desktop. my computer was down for a year due to a bad power supply. i replaced my power supply. then it powered on, fans running,cd drive running. but i had no connection to monitor n no power to mouse or keyboard. I then replaced that little round lithium battery that is on the motherboard n it started up!!!! The first screen was a recovery screen n i got all my old files back.
  • thanks for all your help i have now sorted my problem i kept trying the ram idear cleaned all dust then finally it worked got the beep sound and i just needed to put the ram back in a few times before it would work but at least i didnt have to replace any thing took for ever but it works keep trying
  • i hv the same problem.. and i just remove 2stick of my 2gb ram n put back then it everythg fine... btw... the problem occurs several times recently... any solutions to solve it permanently?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    i hv the same problem.. and i just remove 2stick of my 2gb ram n put back then it everythg fine... btw... the problem occurs several times recently... any solutions to solve it permanently?
    You should check your RAM with Memtest86+ while it is installed. Also try flipping their locations into different slots and see if the issue persists/follows a stick.
  • hi there guys,,, i am also experiencing that kind of matter but mine was weird because my monitor is on but the keyboard and mouse had no sign of power... those two are fix im sure cause i was just using it then when i turn on again my PC there the problem occur.... can u give me some hint how to fix this?

edited March 2012
    Did you unplug the keyboard and mouse while computer is off????

IF they are old PS/2 things and you did unplug them and plug them back in with power off (power off needed for PS/2), then make sure the keyboard and mouse are plugged into correct PS/2 ports. Mouse is green port, keyboard is purple port for PS/2 connections. Reversing PS/2 mouse and keyboard plugins will leave BOTH not working

IF the mouse and keyboard are USB, wait and see if they get "found" after a minute or so. Plugging in USB things in different ports while computer is off causes Windows to have to remap USB connections at start up/power on, and depending on what you have plugged in different than last time the computer ran, and how much is plugged in (how many USB ports are busy with things plugged into them), this could take a minute to two to be "auto-fixed" after power on as a one-time thing (for each time what is plugged in where while computer is off changes).

John.
  • yes my mouse & KB are PS/2 and i do unplug those two while the PC is off because im cleaning it... im just wondering why they cant have power when iturn on again my PC after cleaning it,,, while the monitor is working fine... i still dont know what to until now... any more ideas? by the way, thanks for the response john..:)
    edited March 2012
    Well, is possible that if you plug them into the wrong sockets that the computer chip that controls the ports gets confused and does not understand what they are trying to say because it has one PS/2 port for mouse only and one for keyboard only. And power for mouse is less than power for keyboard.

If windows is confused because the computer is confused, Windows will think you have no keyboard and no mouse.

So, it will appear no power to mouse or keyboard but real problem is wrong port connection. If you have two black PS/2 ports, TOP one is for mouse only, BOTTOM one is for keyboard only if computer case is on side so that the PS/2ports are one over other.

If you have taken a multimeter wire and plugged into the power pins of the PS/2 ports one at a time and taken the other multime)ter wire and connected to a black wire (for return) and get no power, then something is bad on motherboard (power circuit or PS/2 controller chip) or the sockets for power are maybe dust-filled. You can vacuum dust out of the sockets if you are careful.

If none of this works and you indeed have no power to PS/2 ports, maybe you can get PS/2 to USB adapters (cheap) and plug your keyboard and your mouse into USB ports which will also power them. If the only thing that is bad is the PS/2 circuitry and/or PS/2 chip or power supply to PS/2 ports, then using USB will let you have a keyboard and mouse again.
  • thanks for that info sir... ill try it... wish me luck and i hope it'll work thank you so much sir for the replying on my post:)
  • sir i dont know what happen but i tried what you've said i clean it again and there my problem was solved... a very, very thank you so much sir... :)
    sir i dont know what happen but i tried what you've said i clean it again and there my problem was solved... a very, very thank you so much sir... :)
    Welcome.

• I have the same problem. I turn the PC on, hard disk is working, no display to monitor, no power to keyboard (ps/2), and probably no power to mouse(usb) too. I don't hear beeping sound. i tried matsg's suggestion, but it didn't work for me :( any help?
  • :) hi..same problem here folks...after using my pc , i shut it off normally, day after when i open it again . no display on monitor(but green lihts ON) keyboard is not functioning but mouse is working fine...fan is working too. but this time i cant hear the sound coming from the hard disk ...it seems that after booting or turning the PC power ON, there no continuity to HDD infact it was silent. whats the problem? tried cleaning and removing the USB connections of mouse & kboard and monitor too.and return it one by one. nothing happened. :(
    Hi, Am having a major issue with an Asus P5 VDC-MX Mobo. The problem I was first asked to resolve was that on starting the machine the CPU fan would rev up and slow down a couple of times and then power off altogether. When I was finally able to get it to stay on long enough to get into the bios settings I discovered the CPU temp was instantly going to about 165 degrees before shutting down. I removed the heat sink and cpu cleaned them and reseated with fresh paste (ArcticSilver 5). Upon reboot the fan ceased to fluctuate and the CPU temp remained at a steady 86 degrees.

At post I was getting a CPU ucode error so I cleared the cmos (removed mobo battery and moved clrtc jumper for 30sec and back again) but was still getting ucode error. I decided to flash the bios to latest revision 0810. As with most machines these days there is no floppy drive so burnt bios revision to cd and hit Alt + F2 at boot to launch EZ Flash util. I selected CD drive as target and flashed bios. I immediately lost display (there is no card attached just runs off onboard graphics) and on subsequent reboots get no video input to monitor. Attached graphics card but no change. Tried clearing cmos again but now I get no power at all other than SB Power LED on mobo lighting up. Detached 24 pin power connection from board and connected to psu tester. All LEDs on tester light up and both psu fan and chassis fan power up. Reconnected 24 pin power connector to board but again get no power. Nothing goes except SB Power LED. Can anyone please suggest as to why clearing cmos would cause total loss of power please. Am coming to end of patience but as is not my machine I can't just give up on it. Please please please I need help.