Windows 8 Consumer Preview

_k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
edited February 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    Going to try this as soon as I can get all my data backed up properly; downloading the ISO now though.
  • TushonNick Travis I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Cool, dl-ing now.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    How long is the consumer preview good for?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Preview will probably be good until sometime in early 2013.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Excited to see what has changed since the dev preview, which was already pretty close to daily-driver territory for me.
  • This testing methodology did wonders for Windows 7. I'm happy to see Microsoft sticking with a winning plan.
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    i wish they release the ARM version of win8 beta....
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Might have to download for my wife's touchscreen laptop then. I foresee a lot more touchscreen laptops with Windows 8.
  • Sp00nmanSp00nman Ferndale, MI
    Well, Windows 8 installed in 9 minutes in a virtual machine (on my Mac no less). Everything runs smooth. Nice to see a little bit of polish on a consumer preview. We'll play with it for the next couple of weeks and see how it goes.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    I used the Developer Preview on my netbook and found it the UI to be a burden for a non-touch interface, however, I can see Windows 8 winning a lot of converts in the casual user category.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    The Metro UI is such a phenomenal waste of desktop real estate. Its coexistence with the ribbon and Aero UI is terrible Ux. And to top it all off, force-feeding Metro to desktop/laptop users is actually a reduction in productivity and usable desktop space.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    The Metro UI is such a phenomenal waste of desktop real estate. Its coexistence with the ribbon and Aero UI is terrible Ux. And to top it all off, force-feeding Metro to desktop/laptop users is actually a reduction in productivity and usable desktop space.

This is why I decided NOT to sell my Macbook pro, Going back to windows made me shudder
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

This is why I decided NOT to sell my Macbook pro, Going back to windows made me shudder
    inb4 you can disable it for a normal desktop experience via Thrax
  • quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    1) It's very easy to disable (yay for freedom!)
    2) If you still don't like that option, buy Win7 as Win8 hasn't even been released?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    But it is still windows! hehe
  • quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    :rolleyes:
  • Sp00nmanSp00nman Ferndale, MI
    I hope this isn't turning into the usual Mac/Windows discussion, there are plenty of other shitty sites to read that on.

But I agree with the statements about UI. Having used it for a while, Metro is clearly meant for fingers, not mice. I think there are some cool things, like docking (snap) to the sides. But those will have to be easier with a mouse than they are today. Overall, it's heading in the right direction if you can have phone-tablet-desktop with a similar and working interface. The trifecta that no one else has been able to create.