The Machete Order (Star Wars)

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited March 2012 in Lifestyle
So Brian posted this on Twitter: The Machete Order.

It's a detailed analysis of what the best order to watch the Star Wars movies is. Now, you might immediately write this off as ultimate neckbearding, and that's fine. I'm a fan of Star Wars, but nowhere near the rabid spectrum. I liked Episode 1 when I first saw it in high school. Time has colored my perception of the entire prequel trilogy though.

The tl;dr summary of the article is the hypothesis that the best-possible viewing order is IV, V, II, III, VI. He makes a really, really compelling argument that doing it in this order A) refocuses the entire series on Luke, making II & III like a 2-movie flashback; B) Maintains the surprise of Luke's father; C) Makes legit the suspense of who the emperor is; and D) Vastly improves VI by heightening the drama and parallels it draws between Vader and Luke.

All this is done while eliminating Ep I, not out of fanboy rage, but because it does no service to the story arc and can be safely eliminated without confusion or loss. In fact, it makes the story BETTER by simplifying it and eliminating it's most heinous plot points. He describes Episode I as Star Wars' Animatrix and I completely agree.

Anyway, I highly recommend reading it. I'm excited to re-watch the series in this order and will use it from now on when showing it to new people.

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I enjoyed this theory and find it incredibly relevant.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    find it incredibly relevant.
    Ditto
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    I must do this.
  • Let me state, that I know without a shadow of doubt.... If you can preserve the surprise at the end of Empire, it is worth doing. The look on my daughters face was priceless, it just blows your mind if somehow you can protect a future viewer from that knowledge going in, it makes everything better. For me, 4,5,6 then 1,2,3.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Wait...how is 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 better than the proposed where you get both surprises?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    @Cliff_Forster Right, this order does that, AND preserves/heightens the new-trilogy "surprise" of Palpatine's identity. It's a double-win.

Also, in the Release Order (your noted order), you get creepy Hayden Christensen at the end of VI without knowing who the hell he is.

I can't fathom preferring Release Order after reading that analysis.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    I feel the sudden need to buy Star Wars II, III, IV and VI on DVD (I already own V) just so I can watch them in Machete Order.
    You should...
    Alternatively, you can watch the original editions with no creepy Hayden at the end.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Good luck finding them.
    I have them in my possession currently.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I have the Harmy remixes mentioned in this article. Usenet.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    I might have to try this. Though I loath giving George Lucas any more money for the Blu-Rays.
    Do what many other do and say Arrrrgh! as you do it? =D
  • Now that I've read Brian's logic more completely, I can completely see where skipping back after 5 leaving 6 last makes dramatic sense.
  • Of all the threads on Star Wars this seems to be the most appropriate place for the most important thing posted online today. Fascinating read about an upcoming documentary defending the prequel films.

https://www.inverse.com/article/19900-defending-the-star-wars-prequels?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=inverse-ent&utm_campaign=promoted