Capture the flag night!

UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big NastyIndianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
edited March 2012 in Minecraft
Hello friends, I purpose a night that we play capture the flag in the IC town with the use of only bow and arrows and no armor. The city is big enough that we could hide around corners and/or windows of the buildings and defend and attack the oppositions flag. (which would be like a red torch or a colored wool) Depending how many people want to do it we could have two very large teams. It would be like guerrilla warfare PVP style with the two rules that you can only use bow and arrows and no armor. I dunno, I am just trying to think outside the box and get some more community events together. Let me know what you all think. Hell we could even make a big capture the flag arena outside of town somewhere, there are no limits.

Comments

• UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Love it. In.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Perhaps the flag can be a helmet, so it would be easy to see who has the "flag".
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Or you have to carry the flag in your hands? I do like the idea of a helmet to give the carrier a bit of an edge, but you'd also have to consider possible breakage. Question is do we want to have an advantage or disadvantage when you have the flag?

This sounds fantastic, but we'd have to make certain that everyone in town was in, or not on. Otherwise, we'd possibly have to find a different place to do it. Don't want to get people accidentally dead.

So, rules for bow enchantments? Carrying the flag? Block use (breaking blocks to dig, putting up walls, etc)? Area of play?

Also, is there any way we can distinguish the teams from each-other (preferably without giving one team an armor advantage or having to change our skins)?
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    As for the bows, I'd suggest allowing Punch and Infinity, but I think Flame or Power would be too unfair. I know not everyone wants to spend tons of time enchanting, and we don't want to exclude anyone from playing because they'd be at a disadvantage.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I'd do this. Could be awesome. Close quarters battles!

If we do it, we NEED to make sure every dog owner has securely locked up their dogs, else this gets messy.
    We could just limit it to level 1 enchants?
    I think it might also be a good idea to go on a string collection run and just make a crapton of bows for this. We could even have Digi or SHitman or a couple other people enchant them all so people can just take their pick. Have a box for each team full of equivalent sets.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    It should be away from town, so that teams can devote part of their time to building defenses and such. It would be a good use for a new PvP island of sorts
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I love the idea of an Urban play style through town. I would also like to encourage the use of TNT and cannons. You can see how this would not play well together.

What I am thinking is pick a certain time to take a backup of our map. I would edit it to have 2 "bases" (to be defined later). Then on a scheduled night, we swap the map over to the play map, teams set their spawn at their team's base. There is a setup time while teams can fortify their base, then we say go and battle it out. There may be a way that I can lock all the chests on the server so that we can control resources. If that is the case then we do that and the flag is a diamond block. While this would not 100% kill the ability to forge a "flag" it would make it extremely difficult.

As for Gameplay, there may actually be mods out there for CTF. We might look into one to aid us in doing game nights.

-Digi
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    This sounds sweet! Great idea Hitman.

OK so I definitely agree with midga about the idea of having a battlements area in each team's spawn. We're gonna be losing a lot of bows and arrows out on the battlefield.

I also think that, if we're not going to be able to use picks, we should limit what the defenses and flags are to be made of. I'm not really sure how long it takes to punch through certain materials. But it shouldn't take so long that you have to sit there for 30 seconds while being shot at by opponents. Same with the flag.

One more suggestion. There should be a set build-time at the beginning of each match. Say something like 8 min. This way, teams really have to work together to get their defenses up. Once the build time is up and the battle begin, the teams should not be allowed to rebuild or refortify their defenses. This makes it possible for weak spots to open up, causing a team to have to concentrate their defense more towards that area.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    So in, especially if there's TNT involved, I miss KOTH and PvP island.
  • GorzoGorzo Columbus, OH
    edited March 2012
    I love this idea. Absolutely love it.

Going on what's been said here, we could build 2 team forts on opposite ends of town, say 50-100 blocks away from town limits - this way tnt can be used as defense and offense of the forts, but not within x blocks of town walls. House rule of not detonating more than 1 or 2 tnt at a time or something to keep from splashing, of course. Now there's tnt fun outside of town, and the main part of the game is in the town itself.

As for the flag itself...hmm... If we use armor as a flag, it's gonna break. Fast. Even if we used diamond (I went through a full set of diamond armor in a day, and all I did was dick around, no heavy mob fighting...total waste of resources, sticking to iron from now on). And we'll certainly have to have a rule that the flag-bearer must hold the distinct flag item at all items - no firing back even. We gotta know he has it. Maybe use the brightest of the bright wools?

I kinda like Weezers thought above about not being able to repair your fort (assuming we make it hard to punch through them). Maybe each team could have 1 designated member who can repair with a very limited amount of supplies, but has no bow, can only punch...wait, I'm starting to totally over-complicate things now into team fortress minecraft.
  • I want in on this sooo bad. Also I would agree with setting a level limit for bow enchants not a enchant type limit.
    Pumpkin head for flag?
  • GorzoGorzo Columbus, OH
    Do pumpkin heads have durability like helmets? if not then I think we have a winning idea there.
    Pumpkin head for flag?

-Digi
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    These are all great ideas. I think this would really be fun. I really like (if possible) digis idea about making a copy of the server and play on it for an hour or so. and I love the idea what the person who has the flag must hold the object at all times and wear like a helmet or somthing. I also agree with Spencer about level limit on the enchant. We really need to make this possible folks!
    It should be away from town, so that teams can devote part of their time to building defenses and such. It would be a good use for a new PvP island of sorts
    By all means I do not want to destroy anything, I just love the idea of a guerrilla warfare battle with bows and arrows. So if we cant do the copy of the map idea then lets find a area (once the new update hits) and make a big battle area that we can make buildins and fortresses and such.

Pumpkin head for flag?
    GREAT IDEA!!!

I think the enchantments are random enough that a team should be able to bring their own XP to the event. They then have a choice of enchanting the tools that are given to them, or risking loosing the XP while searching for better tools.

Luck is going to come into play a lot the first time we do this. I say we roll with it simple, not a lot of rules and then step back and tweak it to make it balanced.

I'll set aside a date after The End trip and then we can work on the details of the map.

-Digi
  • UPSMatLUPSMatL Metal Maniac Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I am FREAKING IN , great idea HITMAN!! ctf arena would be amazing for future battles
    Since the idea of playing on a copy was brought up, I had an idea a while back involving doing that and having a mass amount of monster spawning in and around town. Sortof like a survival/invasion/horde style game.

Ideally it would involve a mod (or admin setting or something) that would keep it night all the time (or 90-95% of the time to separate "waves"), monsters spawning in waves (dunno how to work that out quite yet, but I've a feeling that if it's not easy to do vanilla, it should be easy to make a script to do it), and if you die, you're held in the moon (or somewhere else, but c'mon, it's the friking moon) until the end of that "wave" (round, turn, etc).

Just a thought.
    Once digi gets back from his time away I will discuss with him all the possibilities and hopefully get somthing going for next week.
    ??

My Time away was like two weeks ago :-P

-Digi
    HAHAHA I thought that was new. HAHAHA I feel stupid....
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    HAHAHA I thought that was new. HAHAHA I feel stupid....
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    This sounds frickin sweet.

We should definitely use a copy of the map with bases added. That way we can blow the shit out of town and it won't matter. Consider a second server so non-players are unaffected.

As for team colors and flags... I considered everyone holding a red or blue block of wool to denote teams, but then we can't use bows. And the problem with wearing a pumpkin as a flag is that it takes a few awkward seconds to open inventory and equip it. I can see problems happening if someone makes a dash for the flag and keeps running and doesn't have the time to equip it.

So I think the best option is to suck it up and everyone pre-choose teams and switch skins to red or blue (skin-switching is super quick anyways). Flag-bearer should carry a diamond block, which you can switch-change to with mouse-wheel while running. Plus that way they can't attack, just run. Makes things interesting.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I would counter that we should build a specific area for this, so that we can build more elaborate traps, and keep from having server switching stuff.
    I would counter that we should build a specific area for this, so that we can build more elaborate traps, and keep from having server switching stuff.
    This would probably be best

You suggest an area similar to PvP island from our old map?
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    ^this