The Keto diet

Comments

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    I'm not on keto, but I do try and reduce empty/pointless carbs when possible. Watching what you eat doesn't end when you're in the neighborhood of your goal weight. "Keeping weight off" is something that requires a lifetime of habit change.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    A taco without cheese is hardly a taco at all blasphemy.
    Fixed
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Betsy and I frequently make an easy meal we call 'taco boats'.

Cut a couple bell peppers in half, fill with taco stuff (we just use taco spiced chicken and onions), top with cheese, bake at 350 for about ten minutes, broil for the last couple minutes for browned cheese.

If you skip the cheese, also skip the broil, and cover them with something else or the meat will dry out a bit on top.

We like this so much, and it's so easy to make, we have it at least once a week.
  • WattyzWattyz Michigan Icrontian
    making a list to start this again. All this talk of tacos and cheese...nom.
    Cheese is the spackling paste of the culinary world. Doesn't taste good enough? Dump some cheese on it. It's used to hide the flaws and weaknesses of most of the stuff it's put on. Give me a taco brimming with properly seasoned, spiced ground beef or pork, some fresh greens, sliced scallions, and bright, vibrant salsa. You can keep the cheese.

There are a number of dishes where cheese is truly an integral ingredient, not able to be omitted, and I care for none of those. Enjoy your chicken cordon bleu and broccoli cheddar soups, I'll be over here with the stuff I find delicious. More cheese for you!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Heresy.
    edited March 2012
    Why do people get pissy about this? What part of

MOAR CHEESE FOR YOU

is a bad thing? I'm not trying to ban cheese, for gouda's sake!
    I am seriously impressed by the Baco™ Shell.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    No one is pissy, I think, we just want to make sure you understand how completely wrong you are about cheese. :p

Friends don't let friends disparage cheese ;)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    Why do people get pissy about this? What part of

MOAR CHEESE FOR YOU

is a bad thing? I'm not trying to ban cheese, for gouda's sake!
    I'm not pissy, I am a foodie. Or, as CB puts it, I am a bread-and-cheese-itarian.

Cheese is the farthest thing from culinary spackle; cheese is worthy of its on food group, in fact.

This is my homage to fromage: a good cheese, or selection thereof, can replace any course of a meal. It is something to be savored. Cheese is more delicious than even the chocolatiest of desserts.

On top of that, cheese is the perfect keto food. Almost no carbs, nice and fatty, and some protein.

The 'food' industry uses HFCS as you describe cheese. Adding more HFCS to a processed item covers up the item's inherent shittiness of flavor because the human physiology is programmed to hoard anything with sugar.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    @RyanMM, the oldest young man I know.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    No one is pissy, I think, we just want to make sure you understand how completely wrong you are about cheese.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    When I get out of work, I'm going home, unwrapping the extra sharp cheddar I got yesterday, cutting myself off a big hunk of it and going to town. It will be glorious.
    I would love to do a cheese tasting at Expo.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    So game for that.

Good stuff, too. I got some unpasteurized sheep's milk gruyere at Whole Foods once. It was 1000% amazing.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    The 'food' industry uses HFCS as you describe cheese. Adding more HFCS to a processed item covers up the item's inherent shittiness of flavor because the human physiology is programmed to hoard anything with sugar.
    Also, actually ESPECIALLY, MSG.

• WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    IN
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    Betsy and I frequently make an easy meal we call 'taco boats'.

Cut a couple bell peppers in half, fill with taco stuff (we just use taco spiced chicken and onions), top with cheese, bake at 350 for about ten minutes, broil for the last couple minutes for browned cheese.

If you skip the cheese, also skip the broil, and cover them with something else or the meat will dry out a bit on top.

We like this so much, and it's so easy to make, we have it at least once a week.
    Something else that is good and similar to this, is to use zucchini cored out as the boats, with taco meat inside and baked. Delicious!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I have put together a wine and cheese tasting before and could do so for EPIC ... though the wine isn't keto
    By EPIC, I will be off of keto.
    @RyanMM, the oldest young man I know.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
    I wish this forum supported the "Like this post" feature so I could like the hell out of that. ;)
    edited March 2012
    Ryan Macho Man's only fear is cheese.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I am also in!!
    It's official. I've lost 50 pounds. :)
    Too awesome. :clap::rockon:
    Congrats, buddy! Few people can ever say that, and considering how long I know we've both battled with our weight, it is quite an accomplishment on many fronts.
    Goooooo Brian!
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    Congratulations!!! Keep it up and I won't recognize you at Expo