If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

MLP: FiM discussion thread

Comments

• colacola the dick man himself Right behind you Icrontian
    We also need to watch Mulp Phim: The Redemption. We don't watch that nearly enough.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    I'm watching 5 right now, just to try and catch up.

Edit: 5 is a little drop-off but still not bad.
    The Gildasode isn't that great, yeah. Trixie's a little better, but she's mostly awesome because of all the fandom stuff about her.

The first half of season 1 is kind of hit-and-miss, and you probably won't like the "Cutie Mark Crusaders" all that much at first. The show ramps up in quality as you go along, though.

Season 2 is -amazing-. There's only been two episodes this season I haven't much cared for, and one of them is alright because a talking minotaur makes it awesome.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Sorry I missed you guys last night. I have a pretty awful sinus infection that now has me incapable of hearing out of both ears. Who's going to urgent care later today? This guy.
    edited Mar 2012
    Tara Strong (the voice of Twilight) has had her trollface working on Twitter for the past couple of weeks, but now she's taking it to the next level. Something was posted by her last night while our Ponystream was going on.

She's now directly sending out stuff in Twilight's voice.

Personally, I vastly approve of this. New content is always welcome. Plus the remixers/Youtubers have more stuff to work with.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    As a side note, so far Twilight is best pony.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout New Mexico Icrontian
    I'm pretty sure Cola approves of both of these posts.

Also, hope you feel better soon MiracleManS! I just got over my sinus infection, and during midterms too! D-:
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited Mar 2012
    What the hell have you people done to me? I had the choice between Sonic Rainboom, Read it and Weep, Boast Busters or Sweet and Elite and I chose Sweet and Elite...
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Mar 2012
    Tara Strong (the voice of Twilight) has had her trollface working on Twitter for the past couple of weeks, but now she's taking it to the next level. Something was posted by her last night while our Ponystream was going on.

She's now directly sending out stuff in Twilight's voice.

Personally, I vastly approve of this. New content is always welcome. Plus the remixers/Youtubers have more stuff to work with.
    Dude this is awesome. People are going to animate the crap out of this.
    I already have the keyframes done in my mind.
  • So, I was at lacrosse practice. (yes, I play sports as well) And as I was taking off my jersey, It gets caught on my shoulder pads. I say "dumb fabric!" but then get very sad because all of my team fits the "jock" stereotype very well. I would probably get attacked if they knew I was quoting ponies... So, I came here so I could share the laugh with somepony else. That is all.
    haha. I've lost count of how many times I've done something similar. I find it fun to see how many references I can put out there without making it obvious.
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Heh, I do stuff like that all the time without realizing it (Go back a few pages and you'll see my most obvious blunder) When I began work and a customer would ask me I'd say 'Sure thing' nowadays I find myself saying 'eeyup' in its place and no one has ever caught me on it.

Beyond it there's ten seconds flat, etc etc.
    edited Mar 2012
    Twilight's rap thing has been animated
    Wow. That didn't take long at all.
    I'm not surprised. A lot of em have been able to crank things out pretty fast. Imagine if this production & quality rate kept growing exponentially. We'd have episodes right after an episode and then seasons after an episode.
    edited Mar 2012
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm about to break your goddamn brain with just how awesome this is. And to think, EqD was shortsighted enough to just jam this into a Nightly Roundup instead of giving it it's own post.

So most of you probably know about all of the Dance Dance Revolution/Stepmania dancing-game stuff. A couple of you might have even seen folks who are REALLY good at the game to the point where you wonder how they manage to move their legs that fast.

Well, there's apparently some sort of small event that goes down somewhere called a "Sightreading Tournament", or SRT, where folks who are crazy-amazing at this game go to compete with one another/celebrate/whatever.

The SRT game itself is crafted as an independent game with it's own story and such, different each year, usually consisting of Touhou and the like, it seems. It starts off intermediate-to-high, but cranks up in difficulty to really high levels later on. what makes it unique however, is that, as if playing tough DDR isn't hard enough, they use visual gimmicks/obstructions/warping to make even seeing the right arrows to press really difficult.

I suppose the Touhou stuff is kind of appropriate, given the absurd difficulty.

Well. This year...the SRT's theme was...ponies.
    Complete with intro and all.

(Try to ignore the guys commenting in the background.)

I've gone through the trouble of organizing everything into a playlist, as their page doesn't do exactly the best job of making sure everything is in order, so I've went ahead and collected them all together from this year's event. I HIGHLY recommend checking it out if this seems interesting to you at all (and even if it doesn't).

The playlist is here.

The tourney's split into two acts, each with a boss battle of sorts, and then finally a Phantasm Stage, which is supposed to be the balls-to-the-wall final battle.

To give an idea of what this whole thing is like, I'll select a few videos to show here. I'd highly recommend checking these out if nothing else.

First off, a small taste of what the skill level hereabouts is like. This is Stage 2 of the first act. This is still while the whole thing is warming up, before they do any actual sightjacking.

There's some minor sightjacking in the first act towards the end, with it all coming to a head at the Possessed Twilight Boss Battle

(Yes, Tom is made good use of here. Also, DAT NIGHTMARE TWILIGHT TRANSFORMATION)

Act 2 is where sightjacking regularly comes into play, with actual warping being made use of now. I decided to pick this one because I thought it was, visually, very impressive use of the song's beat. Plus, Lynx, you HAVE to see this one. (It's got Vinyl Scratch in it)

Boss Battle of Act 2 is Rainbow Dash, and DAMN. It's great.

And of course, if you skipped all of the other videos...
    Yukari and Discord for the final battle to save the fabric of reality.

Again, the whole thing is just amazing. Check out the playlist for the full thing, plus goodies I haven't told about.

Thoughts?
    edited Mar 2012
    Ok, ok, hold on a second.

This is incredible.

Those people you mentioned that move so fast that you can't think its possible - I'm one of those people. Though I'm a couple years out of regular practice, I mastered the three PS2-era DDR games by Konami, and all but destroyed the first In The Groove (Which was LEAGUES better than Konami's games). I play everything on the hardest difficulty and love it. (I also lost a TON of weight playing the game during college).

A lot of those distraction effects and techniques are in In The Groove, but they seriously took the difficulty to the next level with some of those effects. The Tom sequence... my Lord. How?

Do you know if these people are actually playing by standing on a pad, or are they using their hands in some way? It sounds like it might be a pad, but it's hard to tell. I know Stepmania is generally played with a keyboard. Some of the patterns on the Nightmare Twilight boss fight were so fast, I can't imagine that someone held combo and did so well. I've seen some of the best out there play DDR on a pad, and even at that, some of these patterns just look impossible.

Awesome stuff though. I wonder if I can get my hands on that, I'd love to play it.

*edit - found this video. It's the same cabinet that the above videos are recorded off of, so they're definitely playing with their feet. Pads look modified, looks like it just requires contact to trigger, so that may be helping with these players' speed. Incredible effort by these players. Considering DDR is all but dead these days, I would assume players like this to be the best of the best.
    edited Mar 2012
    Sad, sad news about the current state of Equestria Online.

As the founder and owner of Equestria Online, I feel it is my right and duty to inform you all about what has happened. In a nutshell, the team has broken apart. Currently this project has ceased to continue on any further development and I will tell you why:

In early summer 2011, I started this project in hopes of creating a fun and free MMORPG where you could live in the world of Equestria as your very own pony. After several weeks of working on the project myself and investing my own money, I decided to recruit a team of volunteers to help me. To my great astonishment, we had become a huge success in very little time. I was happy to see such a large amount of fans growing and supporting the project. As summer ended, I accepted more and more help from fellow bronies around the globe, but was not able to keep up due to school. This made me decided to temporarily delegate my duties to someone else until I had the time to contribute more again. I was still very much active in team meetings though. Time went on, and I felt the project slipping away as there was little respect for my attempted contributions and requests. After a recent and very alarming argument with my temporary leader, my last straw was pulled. I removed him from the team temporarily until we could work something out. The leaders of each development department felt I had no such right to do so, even though I let him have that position in the first place. Most of the department leads then threatened to leave unless I stepped down as the owner of the project and gave away the name (Equestria Online). I refused.

It upsets me to see such a huge portion of the team leave, but that's life I guess. As of now, I hope to continue this project and maybe work on some more. I want to thank you all for your support and I hope you keep up with this website because we will try to get over this bump!
    I saw their current work at the previous BronNYCon, debuted alongside the current progress of "Fighting is Magic" at the time, and it was pretty damn good what they'd had thus far.

Sounds like inter-team politics got the best of them. Though what this story sounds like, the guy in charge got pissy because people weren't liking his ideas, he removed one of them that got in a debate with him, and the others mutinied, picked up their collective creative balls, and took 'em home. I think it might be interesting to hear the perspective of the other team members.

What a terrible way for a great project to end.

This is the latest video on their YouTube channel displaying the latest published state of the game's development.

I was so looking foward to flying around as a pegasus. They had some amazing ideas, TONS of custom music made for this thing, and months of work with this, and it's sad to see this all blow up in catfight drama. Damn it.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    This video is private.
    Neat.

Too bad though, I hadn't heard of this but it probably could have been fun to just screw around on once in awhile.

edited Mar 2012
    Oh wow, did he seriously go and private all of the videos?

That's kind of a dick move. Yeah, I have a feeling this is all about something childish.

Either he's trying to pretend right now that it doesn't exist, or he's hiding the videos to spite the work of his fellows.

This is bullshit. It sucks for EVERYONE that this had to happen. Why is he just going and making it worse?
    edited Mar 2012
    Googledocs statement from the rest of the EO team on their side of the story.
    Statement from the ex-development team of Equestria Online

Okay, we’ve gotten this request. We’ve read the comments and heard the demand to know what happened on the other side of the story. At first, it was our intention to keep this matter private, since it had nothing to do with the production of the game and we wanted to stay professional about the matter. But since the outpouring of sentiments about the current status and future of the project, we feel we owe you an explanation.

First, just let us explain: none of us wished for the outcome that happened, but this statement will hopefully make you realise that there was no other option.

While RainDrop was away in school our team leader for PR and Business (SweBow) took over somewhat as team leader. He started to build up a democratic way to control the project that allowed everyone to have a say (3D team, Audio Team, 2D team, etc.), by allowing their team leaders to be able to bring up their questions to the rest of the team leaders at weekly meetings on Fridays. We then started to develop a Code of Conduct/NDA. This paper not only said that the project was allowed to use your files if you left, but it also protected you as the creator of the work. It stated you still owned your work, and you were protected so that no team leader could single-handedly kick you off for no good reason, but in fact needed the majority vote of the Team Leaders to get removed. The team member who might be getting a kick had all rights to appeal a decision like this. It never happened, no team leader ever had to implement a kick after the Code of Conduct was proclaimed.

Now, lets go on with the explanation now that you’ve got a bit of the background story.

What caused the split of the development team was actually about the Code of Conduct. RainDrop wanted absolute power since he founded the project. We wanted to continue with the democratic way of handling things as we had done the last six months while RainDrop was gone - something that had worked out in our favor for the project as whole.

But what do you mean by absolute power? To explain it simply, everything created, developed, coded or whatnot would become his. We, as the development team, wouldn’t get any say about our assets. RainDrop refused to agree with the Code of Conduct even though we asked for his input during the development process. So he was aware of the Code of Conduct and what it meant long before last week.

Some have pointed out that since he started the project, it is his to do with as he pleases.
    We agree. That's why we now have parted ways. He is left with the project as it was before September. Anything that was created by team members now affiliated with LoE is no longer part of EO.

99% of the team has left to continue a new 3D Pony MMO. We did so with great reluctance.
    None of us wished this would happen, none of us wanted this to end like it did. We tried to compromise, we tried to find an agreement (several times, in fact) but there was none to be found. Therefore, the Team Leaders acted as any good leader would. We acted to protect our team members’ assets and time they put into the creation of the game. We gave all of our members the full story and notified them of our intent to form a new project. None were forced. They all left of their own free will, for the same reasons we did.

As a final note, we’d like to ask everyone to please not spread rumors, speculation or lies about what happened. We have no ill will toward EO or RainDrop. We do not wish either party to have to deal with any negativity as a result of this.

Thank you for your patience and we hope to see you at www.legendsofequestria.com
    tl;dr, I was right on the money.
    What a disgrace.
    Well, if he wants to control and own everything on a group-based project, he got half of his wish.
    There's no rumors, lies, or speculation in the fact that I certainly wouldn't want to do a project FOR FREE under a guy like that.

On the other hand, great news on the fact that the 99% of the staff that left (and did most of the actual work we all saw) seem to be working on a very similar project, with the same intent. So at least it's still coming, albiet under a different banner.
    Man, that sounds like a total mess. Too bad, really. It would have been awesome.

At least we're 99% sure to get a completed Fighting is Magic, and I think PonyKart is likely to finish as well.
    edited Mar 2012
    Man, that sounds like a total mess. Too bad, really. It would have been awesome.

At least we're 99% sure to get a completed Fighting is Magic, and I think PonyKart is likely to finish as well.
    I tried to highlight it, but let me make this completely clear.

99% of the staff of Equestria Online has taken all of their work from September and beyond (for a frame of reference, most of what we've currently seen of the project was showcased in JANUARY) and slapped it into Legends of Equestria. So essentially what's happened is that they're pretty much doing business as usual, without a grabby project leader who wants lordship over all of the (FREE!) work they're doing, and knew about all of the terms and stuff they'd come up with well in advance while all of this was going on.

Essentially, we're getting the same thing, just under a different name, and under new management. So it's still -coming-. That's the good news in all of this.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Until Hasbro shuts it down.
    Until Hasbro shuts it down.
    IF they do.

No money is being charged for this, and the mane six will not actually be in the game. They're being rather careful about that sort of thing.

Their videos went over that issue better than I could, but unfortunately they're unavailable.
    edited Mar 2012
    While looking through the Show Notes for the latest Bronyville podcast, I discovered something~

This latest episode was written by Merriwether Williams.

This says several things to me:

- The episode itself was actually pretty good, even if it IS "My Little Dragon: Frat-Boys are Magic". The concepts themselves were outlined by Lauren for all of the episodes this season before she departed from the team, so the fact that this whole thing kind of throws up a lot of question marks about what was explained to us about dragons in "Secret of my Excess" can't really be pinned on her.
    - Hopefully this means they're getting better about placing her with certain episodes. Her writing seems to have improved to fit the show at least some.
    - This makes 3 1/2 (since she co-wrote "Putting Your Hoof Down") episodes she's written this season. I guess that means she's here to stay and be more prominent. So I really hope that second point is true.

She took a pretty bleh concept and made it better than it was (being a former Spongebob writer, I'm sure Crackle was her idea), so I -will- give credit where it's due. She's at 2/2 right now on good/bad episodes. i hope this is the start of an upward trend and that any of her work in S3 is improved.

EDIT: Yes, I -did- count "Putting Your Hoof Down" on the bad side. It's not really a -terrible- episode per-se, but there's a large section of it that's honestly pretty painful for me to watch. Iron Hoof really saved the episode for me.
    I was going to bring it up after I saw it, but once I saw you hadn't said anything, I figured I should leave it alone.

I thought the episode was OK, there were some really funny bits (spike and that beard), but I felt like all of the frat Dragon competition stuff was just filler that didn't really entertain me that much. I don't really blame the writer for it, the concept was just pushed too hard for me. I would have rather learned more about the dragons and expand that part of the universe, but being a kids show, you know how that all goes.

The one thing that did bother me about this episode is how rude the main characters are to Spike at the beginning. Seemed pretty harsh. If anything, I expected you to mention that stuff as being a Merriwether weakness.

But dat Spike Rarity canon! So good!
    edited Mar 2012
    I was going to bring it up after I saw it, but once I saw you hadn't said anything, I figured I should leave it alone.

I thought the episode was OK, there were some really funny bits (spike and that beard), but I felt like all of the frat Dragon competition stuff was just filler that didn't really entertain me that much. I don't really blame the writer for it, the concept was just pushed too hard for me. I would have rather learned more about the dragons and expand that part of the universe, but being a kids show, you know how that all goes.

The one thing that did bother me about this episode is how rude the main characters are to Spike at the beginning. Seemed pretty harsh. If anything, I expected you to mention that stuff as being a Merriwether weakness.

But dat Spike Rarity canon! So good!
    I thought I shouldn't HAVE to mention it being a Merriwether weakness. I assumed after all of my criticism of both MMDW and PYHD, that my statement of Merriwether having an affinity for turning on the "Jerk Switch" for her episodes was kind of a given at this point. It really is one of her major faults as a writer for -this- show, since none of the mane six are really jerks. In fact, there aren't many ponies that -are- outright jerks in this show in the first place (which is what made "Putting Your Hoof Down" a rather jarring episode, especially with it following the awesome "Smile Smile Smile" episode).

I know I'm going on this rant again, but what she's done to Dash this season is pretty damn terrible, and it's a really big magnifying glass on what's wrong with her writing. That's what really pisses me off is that, normally, Dash pranks or makes jokes of opportunity (such as the whole "tied up" thing in "Secret of my Excess") at worst. Merriwether's Dash can be an outright asshole though- her interpretation is Dash outright putting people down or doing anything to boost herself up. Both the Spike thing, and that (very unnecessary) part of Dash trying to put down the dragons as lame to make herself look better is way out of whack. Sometimes it slips out in other writers VERY seldom, but Merriwether's episodes are very guilty for putting this sort of thing out. Dash is far from the only pony she does this to (hell, my biggest complaint about MMDW is that she makes all of Dash's -friends- look like jerks), but Rainbow Dash seems to be the one character she does this with a lot.

You can be playful and rib people without being a dick, and Dash usually isn't bad about that. Merriwether makes Dash tread right into "dick" territory. It's kind of why I'm REALLY thankful she wasn't in "Putting Your Hoof Down" (though what she did to Rarity instead wasn't any less shameful at all) since that honestly was what I was dreading in context to that episode's premise with any OTHER writer, much less Merriwether.

For the record, I'm not entirely saying Merriwether is a BAD writer, but I really don't think she's quite right for this show, not entirely anyway. That sort of writing is ok for stuff like Spongebob or (ugh) Johnny Test where you can afford to be loose with the characters, but this show doesn't really work that way.

As for the other dragons in this episode, they pretty much acted exactly how I thought they were going to act, and that's why my expectations for them (and for this whole episode really) were pretty damn low. It's the classic "late-80's/90's teenage gang" schtick, and while the show sometimes surprises us every once in a while by dodging/subverting tropes or cliches, it's also surprised us in NOT surprising us too. they were pretty flat, and almost kind of boring and served mostly as a "fluffy" convenient conflict device, as this sort of cliche mostly does.

I think that's perhaps why I'm not -so- down on this episode, because I was honestly expecting this stuff going in, and to be fair, despite character attitude missteps, Merriwether is showing at least some promise. Dash maintains her loyalty and DOES show that she cares, RariSpike is maintained, plus Fluttershy's assertiveness. This episode could have been much, MUCH worse, and it's through some good scenery, setting of world, and some actual glimpses of smarter writing (what they did with Twilight this episode was actually pretty good) they managed to save this one.

Plus, and I will admit, I wholeheartedly think that Merriwether is at least mostly responsible for Crackle. It's honestly a very Spongebob-esque gag. Giving us our legendary Derp-Dragon is worthy of SOME kudos.

EDIT: I will say that for an episode that's supposed to tell more about dragons, the only thing we really learn this ep is that in MLP, dragons are usually dicks (Or at least the Chromatic ones seem to be. Have we really seen any Metallic dragons thus far? I'm still holding out hope for a really wise Gold or a benevolent Silver), and that by growing up in pony culture and morals, Spike seems to have subverted that nature thus far. I suppose it''s fine that Spike is happy with that, but it still leaves a lot of his questions unanswered. I really hope it's just a case of them just leaving that as future episode/plot fodder.
    Just a heads-up guys- if you're looking for a pony news source that doesn't futz with fanfiction and all that other stuff, and knows what they're doing, give this one a try.
    Wow, am I the only person that posts in this thread anymore? maybe i should make a different thread for pony news.

Anyway.

Check out this auction. it's a Fluttershy Doormat.

At the time of posting, this baby is up to $10,000 after 36 bids.
    10,000 dollars? What in the WORLD?
    No, I can't get over this. Is this a joke? Do these people realize how much money $10,000 is? I mean, that thing is cool, but I wouldn't pay more than 15 dollars for it. Materials don't even account for sliver of that much money.

So many things - good things - that 10k could go towards. This boggles my mind.
    And to think it started at a penny. How much you wanna bet the winner isn't even gonna use it like a doormat?
    This season finale is going to be BIG. HUB is kind of pulling out all of the stops for this one.

First of all, this was released in regards to the episodes themselves, and is as of time of writing, the promo bump for the event. I posted it in the pictures thread already, but it can go here too for the sake of organization.

Looks awesome, right? All-out Mane Six war with each other's dopplegangers? ALL DAT PONI.

Well, apparently the Hub is not just satisfied with that.

According to this article on Huffington Post, apparently, The HUB has roped Tori Spelling into doing a legit "Bridle Shower" for the event, and they'll be having her doing actual commercial bumps for the episode.

About a day later, The HUB sent an actual official press release to Equestria Daily (source is here) about the whole thing.
    “Bridle” Episode of Pop Culture Phenomenon Prances Down the Aisle April 21

Tori Spelling, Actress/Author and Wedding Aficionado,
    To Be Featured in Special Wedding Interstitial Programming on The Hub

LOS ANGELES – The Hub TV network, a television network for kids and their families, will celebrate the wedding event of the year with a very special two-episode presentation of the animated hit series “My Little Pony Friendship is Magic,” Saturday, April 21 (1-2 p.m. ET) a series produced by Hasbro Studios. Two half-hour, back-to-back episodes will culminate with a spectacular wedding in the beloved series that has become a pop culture phenomenon, with a passionate and broad fan following.

As part of the celebration of the episode, TV actress/author, wedding aficionado -- and mom -- Tori Spelling (“Beverly Hills 90210,” “Tori & Dean: sTORIbook Weddings”) will be featured in The Hub’s interstitial programming in addition to hosting a celebrity “bridle” shower event.

[Youtube Link Removed for the sake of redundancy, it's the same as the one above]

“My Little Pony Friendship is Magic,” set in the magical land of Equestria, a kingdom populated by colorful ponies, follows the studious young unicorn Twilight Sparkle and her five pony friends as they teach one another about the most powerful magic of all, the magic of friendship! In the two-part episode “A Canterlot Wedding,” the kingdom is in a frenzy preparing for the wedding of Princess Celestia’s niece, Princess Cadance, to Twilight Sparkle’s brother, Shining Armor. However, Twilight Sparkle discovers a dark secret about the bride that could ruin her brother’s “happily ever after.”

To capitalize on the growing excitement that is swirling around what legions of “My Little Pony Friendship is Magic” fans are calling “the wedding of the year,” The Hub will launch a robust marketing and publicity effort to reach the audiences of all ages who are captivated by “My Little Pony Friendship is Magic.” The series, produced primarily for children, has become a sensation across generations.

The special wedding-themed programming event will be supported with both traditional and non-traditional off-channel media, designed to drive tune-in as well as viewer engagement with exclusive digital content available at an all-new mini-site, Hubword.com/royalwedding. Launching on April 2, the mini-site will feature six all-new, interactive, wedding-themed games based on each of the show’s beloved primary characters as well as a downloadable "viewing party pack" that includes printable party invitations, wedding hats, coloring pages and stickers.
    Additionally, The Hub’s Facebook and Twitter (@HubTVNetwork) platforms will provide sneak peeks of the royal wedding episode and extend the viewing experience with additional activities to engage the series’ growing fan base.
    This next month leading up to the episode will be awesome. And honestly, the rest of the guys should probably try getting up early for those days just to catch it on the Livestreams, as it's starting to sound like an event you really shouldn't miss -live-. I know I won't be.

...oh, and, if you didn't have enough to be excited about-
    WELL. Would you look at that.

(A bit of a caveat to this- remember, we don;t know if it IS going to be AS Discord or not. But it would be amazing if it was for this season finale, or even them doing the voice work for the Season 3 Premiere!)
    I feel dumb that I don't know who Tori Spelling is. Still, what they have in store sounds pretty sweet.

I'm looking forward to seeing De Lancie on the show again. Granted, I don't know if it would work with him being anyone but Discord, considering how iconic that voice is. I would love to see Discord show up again. Start season 2 with him, and end it with him.

Also note, in the promo, there's one show where Shining Armor's eyes are green, like he's possessed. Something's going on with that dude.
    edited Mar 2012
    Vidja dump!

You may know that originally in the Swedish dub of the show, Spitfire has a male voice. Well they went 360 on that.

Dat voice!

Another animation analysis with free content to use/learn with.

He also does FMA. This guy is great!

Now back to silent discussions mkay.

Edit: Keep finding stuff. I'll save it for a stream though cause it's pretty good. Rarity fans will like it I bet.
    Dude, that guys' analysis videos are so pro. I love it.

Also, DAT SWEDISH.
    Dem film and staging techniques!

edited Mar 2012
    Everfree Radio got an interview with Will Anderson, the man who does all of the background music for the show. Basically any music that's in the show, that's NOT done by Daniel Ingram (the songs) is his doing.

After listening to the interview, I'm ready to declare Will Anderson as one of my new favorite people working on this show. Not only is he a total bro, but also no matter what happens with each episode- whether it's a Cindy Morrow or a Merriwether, William Anderson's music is ALWAYS amazing, and ALWAYS well-done.

ALSO.
    He looks a -lot- like Daniel Craig.
    Today's episode is fantastic. We're going to have a great next stream, the two newest episodes are top tier.

So today's episode is basically fan service- the episode. It's so good. So many references to previous things in the series, so many little jokes you have to pay close attention to see. It's hilarious. I loved the entire thing, it's definitely a top 5 episode for S2 for me.

M.A. Larson is a pro writer, definitely one of the best on the show. I can't believe this is a Cutie Mark Crusaders episode and I loved it. So weird.
    edited Apr 2012
    It was alright. I still hate Diamond Tiara, but at least THIS time she actually has SOME form of motivation. The REAL triumph of this episode was that Larson actually managed to juggle SO MANY CHARACTERS all at once, had them all play a prominent role, and did it all in 22 minutes without making it feel rushed. THAT is a Herculean feat of writing right there.

I was kinda let down at the undeniable confirmation of Scoots being unable to fly (and the birds laughing at her to boot), but the past few days have had a surge of Scootabuse comics, and...seriously, enough is enough on the poor filly. So it probably irritated me more than it should.
    Spoiler:
    Seriously- everyone's all AWWW about ponies making fun of Fluttershy last episode, and then turn right around and do the same thing to Scootaloo. What the actual living fuck.

I was happy to hear about Trixie, though. SHE'S STILL THERE. Really hope to see her in Season 3.

Plus more Snips and Snails antics. I love that duo more than I should, but they just have a LOT of comic relief potential, as showcased here.
    And Truffle Shuffle not only speaks, but actually gets a gag or two this episode!

I dunno why, but I just adore this little guy.
    edited Apr 2012
    Holy crap holy crap holy crap that episode holy crap.

I loved every second of it, never been too keen on CMC episodes but Larson totally nailed it this has definitely affixed itself among my top 5 of all time for this show.

Spoiler:

Just a few highlights for me:

All the Jonah Jameson/Spiderman references at the printing press blew my socks off
    Rarity makes EVERYTHING AMAZING even her death threats were FABULOUS
    The role-reversal for AJ and BM I love role-reversals in cartoons and this also led to HOLY FREAKING FUCK BIG MAC SPOKE!!!!!!!
    TRIXIE WAS MENTIONED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mfw Big Mac spoke

A screencap of one of my favourite moments in the episode.

I do apologize for the following but when I saw this scene I couldn't help myself.
    I think I'm going to go watch it again.
    I was kinda let down at the undeniable confirmation of Scoots being unable to fly
    It's common knowledge that chickens can't fly. How do you not know this?

Ok, I promise I won't dish a chicken joke in this post.

I was kinda let down at the undeniable confirmation of Scoots being unable to fly
    Isn't it understood that fillies can't use their "powers", if you will, until they grow older? I mean, Sweetie Belle can't really use magic, Scootaloo can't fully fly. It's not meant to be some sort of crippling disorder, but it actually makes sense. Children growing up are still learning to walk, so to say. She can't fly, but she will when she grows up. I don't think this is fan service wanking to the tune of chicken jokes, I see it that it makes sense in the world of MLP.

Totally agree with your point of M.A. Larson following so many characters at once. There is a LOT going on in this episode, and it all works very well without becoming overbearing.

Rarity's I WILL DESTROY HER is the highlight of this episode. Holy crap, so amazing. And dat Trixie reference.....

Certain wild chickens can fly, sadly Scoots probably counts as domesticated.

Banter aside, going by the episode, her wings just haven't grown enough yet to be able to carry her full weight. It's not a question that she doesn't know how/can't, cause there is evidence that counters that. Either her wings just aren't strong enough or she's too heavy at the time. Lay off the cupcakes and sweet-rolls Scoots. Which brings to mind other questions: How do MLP pegasi make up for the lack of wingspan? Do pegasi have hollow bones like birds? Does their "weather affinity" have something to do with it? I'm going with the latter. Can stand on clouds naturally so must have something to do with altering their "weight." Then ya wonder about Roid Rage (I'm gonna call him this, Horse Power is cool and all but see following point,) either he was a skinny toothpick and was heavily motivated to bulk up yet wings didn't, or he really used an Equestrian equivalent to steroids cause his wings must have shrunk from that.
    edited Apr 2012

Spoiler:
    These WinDEU guys have a shitton of content and are INSANELY talented. I'm honestly thinking about making some more playlists of their stuff.
    Was the message "UGH" or "Fail" ?

Nevermind, I'll take both. Bad humor is the only kind I can produce.
  • colacola the dick man himself Right behind you Icrontian
    Top 10 vids for March are out, discuss:

Spoiler:
    These WinDEU guys have a shitton of content and are INSANELY talented. I'm honestly thinking about making some more playlists of their stuff.
    So...you're admitting that Scootaloo is not just any chicken but a domesticated one. Ok
    Oh SNAP. Season one of Friendship is Magic is now on Netflix Instant Queue. We can finally see the full HD episodes WITHOUT all the annoying Hub lower thirds bugs.