Classic Shaving on a Budget

2»

Comments

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    There is no way to "shave like a man". Everyone knows real men don't shave!

J/K. Carry on!
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Shaving like a man is similar to fighting like a man, you punch it till it stops living, breathing, and growing.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Reminds me of what my Marine DI said early in my Navy career:

Gunny: "Sailor, did you shave?
    Me: "YES, GUNNERY SERGEANT!"
    Gunny: "NO, you didn't. I don't see any blood on your face. Go back and re-shave. This time SHAVE. If you ain't bleedin', then you didn't shave close enough."
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Bump. Dollar Shave Club has a great ad, but man... we've been doing it better for years.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I am serious. I would say my beard is average. I have a Mikuir safty razor that goes for like $70. My friend gavwe it to me as he did not like and he bought even a more expensive one. And for my birthday he gave me a real beaver hair shaving brush. These two things make a diffrence.

I get a great shave with the feather blades. And you have top remeber that you have two sides to the blade to use.

Beaver? Not badger?

I've been doing straight-razor wet shaving off and on for a couple years now. My biggest issue has been proper stropping; I just can't seem to get my blade where I want it. Anyone here use a straight razor and have any suggestions?

And for anyone doing the wet-shaving, I really recommend getting a good scuttle. It may not seem like a big change versus a bowl or mug, but when your soap is lasting twice as long and you're not having to run your brush under hot water, you'll appreciate it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Gentlemen, last night Perry asked me to teach him how to shave. You will be glad to know one of the very first things I taught him was how to make a good lather.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Let it be known by this comment I refrained from comment.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    Gentlemen, last night Perry asked me to teach him how to shave. You will be glad to know one of the very first things I taught him was how to make a good lather.
    I asked my dad how to shave once. He told me shaving cream was a scam and to just use handsoap. I then proceeded to chop my face up.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I asked my dad how to shave once. He told me shaving cream was a scam and to just use handsoap. I then proceeded to chop my face up.
    He must be a troll or have a very, very sparse/fine beard
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    I've found that in a pinch, conditioner works in place of shaving cream.

Soap though? not so much.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Good soap works, actually.

Whether it be a (real) shaving cream or a soap, the lather produced is designed to both lift and lubricate the beard to facilitate the razor chop. If you produce a good enough lather from a hand soap, it can be used for shaving. I'd still recommend a shaving soap or cream, though.

Conditioner also works similarly to the non-lathering shaving creams, but provides mostly the necessary lubrication for a shave, but not as much of the lift. I've found I can shave closer with something that lathers, but you can still shave comfortably with either lathering or non-lathering options.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    WE NEED A SESSION AT EPIC... There, I've said it.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    Shave Q's beard with a straight razor ... There, I've said it.