Tribes: Ascend is the perfect FPS for gamers who want to go fast

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    This game desperately needs [VGF] = Gotta go fast!
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    [VVY]
  • This review makes the game sound a lot better then it is, and these comments are a little over the top too. Go read the OFFICIAL message board forums, you'll see how much the vets HATE this game and how it's going to die faster then TV.
  • Jerad, Vets hate this game? News to me. I'm a veteran player, and I love this game. Oh, by "vets" you man jaded assholes that nothing will ever be good enough for. I understand. Fine. Guess what? The Ascend community is having a blast. We don't need your definition of "vets" anywhere near Tribes.

u238|Smeghead S:T, T2, T:V
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I'm in. blackhawkpr
    All I know is that our queue hell is about to get 10x worse.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Jerad, Vets hate this game? News to me. I'm a veteran player, and I love this game. Oh, by "vets" you man jaded assholes that nothing will ever be good enough for. I understand. Fine. Guess what? The Ascend community is having a blast. We don't need your definition of "vets" anywhere near Tribes.

u238|Smeghead S:T, T2, T:V
    I love this post.

• Don't forget to add me!

ToyotaPrius
  • T1 and T2 "vet" here. This doesn't seem quite as fast as the originals but still fun as hell to play. Not the best player out there. Still shaking off the rust but add me if you want. luvs2spooj
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    Gah my brain so much fast...live it...love it.

Now I have a reason to take a break from ANNO 2070 (This game holy crap I've been playing it nonstop for days.) and stop trying to find ways to turn the future into one massive cloud of smog and radiation.

I'll add all of you once I've got the updates finished.

EDIT: Typed Sanic, Gotta go Fast, and Shazbot into youtube.

...what the hell

EDIT2: So many updates holy crap...
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Btw, since Lynx didn't feel the need to drop my name in Tribes, it's ninjakingcola.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I love this thread so much. It's so [VGCA]
    I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. Hi-Rez have said that more voice commands are in the works (the original tribes had even more than T:A does now).
    This review makes the game sound a lot better then it is, and these comments are a little over the top too. Go read the OFFICIAL message board forums, you'll see how much the vets HATE this game and how it's going to die faster then TV.
    Cry about it. I played both S:T and T2 extensively, with S:T populating more of my early PC gaming time than any other game with the exception of Half-Life. I love the classics, and I am completely happy with what Hi-Rez have done with T:A. There are a few imperfections, such as vehicles being too weak and feeling worthless, but the game brings a classic franchise to a modern world completely in tact. I've seen the complaints, and they're all babies. People need to get over it, including the 'veterans'.

Besides, most the complaining is people whining that Hi-Rez needs to add 100% inheritance to the weapons, which is one of the dumbest fecking things they could ever do. Besides, the original games featured 50% inheritance - just like T:A. The physics are perefect. Deal with it.
    Added

Mine's Ilriyas as always.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    UPDATED ROSTER
    Gotta add em all

UPSLynx
    UPSKingpin
    Bandrik
    Thracks
    UPS27Hitman
    midga
    Canti58
    tiberiuslazarus
    gravite2090
    primesuspect
    ninjakingcola
    ICannonfodder
    blackhawkpr
    Ilriyas
    ToyotaPrius
    luvs2spooj (lol)

Recommend all of you that are new to Tribes play the tutorial, or find some open space to just jetpack and ski around in. Takes a bit of getting used to.

I should say before hand - A few of us have been playing nightly, and we discovered what we call 'queue hell'. For some reason, when more than 2 or 3 friends are trying to queue into the same game, some people get stuck endlessly in the queue. We don't know what causes this, it's extremely inconsistent, but it seems the more friends we have, the harder it is to get into the same server. We're looking for a way to fix this, but I have a feeling it's a bug in the beta. They've had many issues with friends in the game for some time now.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    luvs2spooj
    I laughed painfully hard when I read this, LOL!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I'm also here, same name, but I didn't play it much yet.
    How I can has the ski?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    How I can has the ski?
    Did you read the article? You don't have a ski, you jump and rocket pack at same time, they call it skiing.

edited March 2012
    How I can has the ski?
    Did you read the article? You don't have a ski, you jump and rocket pack at same time, they call it skiing.

No I know that dude...I've been on the ski challenge tutorial for a half hour now...I can't get past the green lines on the final jump every-time I go to clear a hill I miss the slope and either hit the ground at terminal velocity or have to rocket to the next hill's slope.

Either way this results in a loss of speed and the inability to clear the last mound.

In short: Going too fast but fast is not fast enough
  • Incorrect. Tribes: Ascend does have a key that will make you ski. Check your control config to find what it is.
    Update on the MUST GO FAST.

I've been running around on a CTF map for about 5 minutes now. I can get my speed to stick at about 140 km/h and I've sort of got the hang of clearing hills. So I can ski I just can't get to ridiculous speeds yet, nor can I ski jump. Either I need to improve a lot or the Ski Challenge tutorial is a trick by the developers to make me feel bad for not being able to hit the maximum height goal when going at 170km/h
    Real pros go to plaid. GOTTA GO FAST.
    Then teach me!

Another update managed to hold 200 for about 5 seconds (Right before my puppy tried to eat my arm and in that split second distraction I hit a large hill and lost momentum)

I've also gotten to the point where I can out ski turret shots which is awesome.
    I think you're missing either holding shift key or using space for jetpacks
    edited March 2012
    Again no I can use both the space bar for skiing and right mouse for jetpack. With the mounds on the challenge I simply overshoot them when I jet, which is something I'm trying to fix but other than cancelling my forward momentum I can't land on the other side.

As with hitting the hill my puppy pulled my arm off of my mouse and when I hit the hill I was unable to jet over/up it.

Other than being able to clear tall buildings with a single bound and having to deal with my puppy and his fascination with arms I think I'm good for skiing.

Next up: Shooting accurately at speeds over 150.
  • RexxarRexxar Maryland Icrontian
    Downloading right now :D
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Signed up. Username: mertesn
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    I forgot to mention: MiracleManS
  • Love this game, been playing it for a few months now. Still suck at it, but I don't care!