NVIDIA retakes single-GPU performance crown with GTX 680

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited March 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    finally 3 monitor support on a single card. welcome to 2009 nvidia

now where is the GTX 660 Ti ?
  • hmmm its funny how when i went to bed there wasn't a peep about this card any wear and now its every wear.
  • Hopefully a price war is brewing because the cost of high end graphics is out of hand.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

AMD does six displays per card...and has since the Radeon HD 5000 series in 2009.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

AMD does six displays per card...and has since the Radeon HD 5000 series in 2009.
    I think that was the point of his comment... *woosh*
    edited March 2012

they may do 6 displays, but as Thrax will tell you, you can't do it yet http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/qt8wn/sapphire_releases_a_totally_silent_passively/c40jpvu?context=3
    edited March 2012
    Hopefully a price war is brewing because the cost of high end graphics is out of hand.
    how so?

A GPU has more 'power' than a CPU. an i7 2600k goes for $325. Please don't bring Bulldozer into the argument lol

Now if you are saying CPU's are high and therefor a GPU is high in price, well that's a different story

So seeing a flagship GPU going for $499 seems completely reasonable to me.
  • Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I recall a time when the top end cards ran neck and neck with a game console purchase. $500-$600 in my mind is steep for what you get. I'll stick with my crossfire 6850's a little while longer. Nvidia's Nepetitude (see what I did there?) I crack myself up.... Anyhow, now that Nvidia is back in the saddle and offering not only a more powerful card, but one that's reasonably efficient as well as priced better, now AMD would be best to follow suit by dropping price. Hopefully the competition will be good for all of us.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    There are probably under 100 people on this entire planet that game with six monitors.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    Radeon 9700 launched at $399. So did several NVIDIA GPUs at any point along the last decade (or more). Nothing has changed.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    They are referred to as "enthusiast" video cards for a reason.
    edited March 2012
    There are probably under 100 people on this entire planet that game with six monitors.
    6 monitors is not about gaming.

6 monitors is about gaming on 3 and having TV/twitter/facebook/internet/youtube/weather app/whatever on the other 3 ;)

alt-tab will DIAF!
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    6 monitors is not about gaming.

6 monitors is about gaming on 3 and having TV/twitter/facebook/internet/youtube/weather app/whatever on the other 3 ;)

alt-tab will DIAF!
    I'm using three right now and could see adding two more in landscapeportrait. Fatcat is right - it's not about gaming, it's about multitasking. For me, the three center displays are for the tasks I'm focused on and the other two are for peripheral tasks.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    @Cliff I use to pay $1000 for the newest GPU just 7 years ago... these $500 price points are very much welcome.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    FirePro can do six from one card and has been able to do so since 2010.

Of course, the price to get there......
    Radeon can do 6 from one card if you buy a partner board. Asus DirectCU II comes to mind.
  • @Sledgehammer70 - I'm just going by some of my top end purchases, but I recall getting a Radeon 9700 pro when it was the leader for about $250, I purchased a 4870 when it was ATI's top of the line for about $279 (if I recall, Nvidia's top cards at the time maybe pushed $350 or so) - Just a couple years back I got Radeon 5870 a month after it launched for about $369...

$500-$600 for the single chip leader is expensive to me.

What did you pay 1K for?
    edited March 2012
    And now you can get the 7870, the same class of product as the 5870, for $349.

Nothing has changed. The price band for a 225 watt GPU has been the same for a decade.

GPU technology has recently evolved to support even more powerful SKUs that sit above the products that you're accustomed to buying.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    I just read somewhere the other day that the 7970 beat the 680, and the 7870 wasn't far behind the 680.

Either way, I've mostly been an ATI person and I'll stick with them.

I kind of don't like GPUs becoming more power efficient, I think a GPU needing 300+ watts is more interesting.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    just ... :tim:
  • @Thrax - I'm not sure I'd say the 7870 and the 5870 are in the same class two generations removed. The 5870 was top of the line, then AMD decided to changed the naming convention using the 6970 as their top end single chip offering and watering down the 68xx a little. I'm not saying good arguments are not being made for the advancements in tech, features, efficiency, economic inflation, I get all that. All I'm saying is that I will not pay $500-$600 for a top of the line single GPU, and I do believe my history on the matter is pretty solid, generally, at least for the Radeon lines, the top end cards are usually much closer to $350 or so. Now that Nvidia finally has it's head out of its ass I'm willing to bet a price war will follow. Two weeks from now I'm willing to bet the 7970's will drop at least one Benjamin. We will see if I'm right then, but who are we kidding? It's a foregone conclusion, I'm always right!
  • Well, I was fairly close, more like three weeks and $70-$80 or so for the 7970, but if you factor in all the free goods, I'd say it totals at least a Benjamin.

Kneel before the great Oracle!

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/23602/amd_drops_pricing_on_their_hd_7000_series_also_offers_three_for_free_for_hd_79xx_cards_three_free_games/index.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
    The fact that a HD7950 is $20 more than a HD7870 makes it the new best/money gpu