Tribes: Ascend is the perfect FPS for gamers who want to go fast

Comments

• UPSLynxBobby Miller :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    That is so frigging awesome.

5 of us are going fast right now, feel free to join up. Get on vent if you do.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    AND MY AXE.
  • CBCB Droege Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    SO.

I tried to give in. I went to the website, I clicked button. I made account. I downloaded file.

It doesn't work. The install file is for Global Agenda, and after redownloading three times just to make sure, it still doesn't want to install Tribes.

So, feeling justified of my Steam snobbery, I move on from this sad affair.

*haughty sniff*
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    The install file is for both Global Agenda and Tribes. It's just a downloader for both games. At the beginning of install, you select Tribes, and it downloads the install files
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Chose which game you want to install.

[ ] Global Agenda

[X] Tribes Ascend
    Was tonight the best night ever?

[ ] Yes

[X] Hell yes

About 8 Icrontians brought the freakin' pain for the better part of four hours. We were goin' fast and kickin' some sissy Beagle ass.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Bah, I don't need to go fast, I just bring the Doom...
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I don't think you understand Joe.

YOU GOTTA GO FAST
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    Its the name of the game, yo
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Look at all this glorious IC going fast:

Not my best game by score, but definitely my best-executed.

I don't think you understand Joe.

YOU GOTTA GO FAST
    My chaingun's bullets go fast, does that count?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2012

Edit: I figured it out.... Somehow, without my memory of it, I've already installed this game some time ago. (lolfail)

However! I still persist this would not have happened on Steam.
    nope.png 192.4K
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I gotta get in on this, I keep forgetting.
    WENT SO FAST SO MANY TIMES

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    That was some awesome going fast by Thrax. Do wish I could have gotten on Diamond Tiara that match.

Playing today I've realized that I a) really suck at this game (I mean it, I'm horrid) b) I need a new mouse and keyboard (and mousepad...seriously, I discovered I was getting some really bad scatter off the one I've been using) and c) I'm going to need to remember to recommend they add an option to make your friends something besides green. I can't tell you how many times I shot at teammates because they were on my friends list and looked like enemies. At least an option to make them a lighter shade of blue or something instead would be nice.

So now I'm ragey cause everyone's so much better at this and the learning curve's tremendous, so I don't do anything useful and then I die. I'm slowly getting better, but I doubt I'll ever be good. I just don't have the time to devote to it. It's definitely a game that you have to spend some real time on. Especially if you want to try out all the classes and weapons.

It's fun, with Icrontians, and I'll keep playing it, but damnit if it isn't frustrating.

It took me a solid 4-6 weeks of playing to have any hope of grabbing the flag and making it out alive. For the majority of that time, I spent much of my days just chasing random people down and trying to defend the flag with the Juggernaut class. You can rack up some good points that way for unlocking better abilities, where you may then proceed to go fast.

You'll get there. :) One day early last week, it just "clicked" and I've been getting steadily better. I still have a lot to learn about breaking the 200kph barrier reliably, but at least I can make it home alive with the flag more often than not these days.
    I had fun Bringing the Doom last night!!
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Last night was my 2nd night of playing and I think I'm starting to get hooked. Been playing Pathfinder exclusively and feel like I'm not terrible at going fast, but definitely need a lot of work at it still. Regardless I made a team first last night which I was pretty stoked about :)

Also, that was a pretty bitchin run Thrax. 5-cap match, nuts.
    TiberiusLazarus
    Seen in Detroit this afternoon
    What's everyone looking at?
    It took me a solid 4-6 weeks of playing to have any hope of grabbing the flag and making it out alive. For the majority of that time, I spent much of my days just chasing random people down and trying to defend the flag with the Juggernaut class. You can rack up some good points that way for unlocking better abilities, where you may then proceed to go fast.

You'll get there. :) One day early last week, it just "clicked" and I've been getting steadily better. I still have a lot to learn about breaking the 200kph barrier reliably, but at least I can make it home alive with the flag more often than not these days.
    Thanks, that's reassuring. :) The heavy classes are nice for keeping alive in, though their inertia is somewhat overwhelming. I just try not to move much.

This is the first time in a while, though, that I've felt like I'm being held back, at least in part, by my hardware (in b4 pen fifteen). I tried plugging my Logitech mouse back in last night, but then remembered that I had swapped out for an HP disposable for a reason: it tends to flicker power. I think something got knocked loose one of the times it fell off the arm of my chair. Weight pack probably didn't help with that... I'll probably try swapping out my keyboard for something else tonight and see if one of my others will let me hold shift + space + w and they all actually function.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    My first game with Bandrik I managed to grab the flag about 5 times. I'm going to put this more to luck than anything because A) Steering is really hard and the amount of times I overshot in comparison to a successful grab is just sad B) Out of those 5 grabs I only managed to make it back to the base twice and only one of those resulted in a cap.

This game is really freaking hard to say the least I probably spend most of a game dead or trying to hit someone with my assault rifle when they're moving at 160+ it's the rare game now where I'm actually able to make a successful flag grab where I don't have to drop below 50km/h to do it.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I've followed this thread the best I can. I did create an account and start the download. I hope to Go Fast with some Icrontians soon. I can't help but ask.... Where is the $$?

Is there an in game store? Do you buy weapons/ammo? Is there a system similar to LOL's Rifts? Commercials before each match? How are they making money off of this?

-Digi
    You can unlock classes and upgrades with experience you earn by playing, or gold you buy in packages from HiRez Studios. EXP is slow in that it can take a few days to get one class, or one nice upgrade. Maybe up to two weeks for the really good items.

For the tidy sum of $50, however, you can basically unlock and fully upgrade a class in about 10 minutes. How much is your time worth?
    I am fully willing to unlock stuff as I go. It helps me learn the class better anyways.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    I've followed this thread the best I can. I did create an account and start the download. I hope to Go Fast with some Icrontians soon. I can't help but ask.... Where is the $$?

Is there an in game store? Do you buy weapons/ammo? Is there a system similar to LOL's Rifts? Commercials before each match? How are they making money off of this?

-Digi

They have a store where you can buy points (Gold) with real money similar to how you buy Riot points in League of legends. You can use the Gold to then unlock items or classes for much less effort than earning the exp to unlock them.

-Digi

They have a store where you can buy points (Gold) with real money similar to how you buy Riot points in League of legends. You can use the Gold to then unlock items or classes for much less effort than earning the exp to unlock them.
    There are also, as far as I can tell, plans to add skins and additional "perks" (think Fallout style) beyond what's in there already. I'm sure these would follow the same trend of spend-your-time-or-your-money.

Interesting to note: unlocks you can buy with $, but upgrades require experience.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    I am fully willing to unlock stuff as I go. It helps me learn the class better anyways.
    Same here.
  • BandrikRyan Wilsey Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    New patch, "Cloak and Dagger" is out.

Some people have qq'd that infiltrators are OP and need to be nerfed. Instead, they now have 3 new weapons to make them more deadly and ninja-like: smoke grenades to instantly vanish, a remote-detonate sticky bomb launcher, and throwing knives.

Dicks.

Update: played with the new patch. Infiltrators with the new sticky launchers are extremely obnoxious. No generator shall remain safe for long...
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    New patch, "Cloak and Dagger" is out.

Some people have qq'd that infiltrators are OP and need to be nerfed. Instead, they now have 3 new weapons to make them more deadly and ninja-like: smoke grenades to instantly vanish, a remote-detonate sticky bomb launcher, and throwing knives.

Dicks.

Update: played with the new patch. Infiltrators with the new sticky launchers are extremely obnoxious. No generator shall remain safe for long...
    I normally play Technician soooo....

(ノ°ロ°)ノ彡┻━┻
    Infiltrators is dicks.

I think they might have buffed the base turret tracking. Also, TDM is a blast. I think I like it better than CTF. Finally hit level 8 tonight so I'm gonna try Arena soon :D