Tribes: Ascend is the perfect FPS for gamers who want to go fast

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    I think they might have buffed the base turret tracking.
    So...you're saying that I can't outrun turrets anymore :(

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I think they might have buffed the base turret tracking.
    So...you're saying that I can't outrun turrets anymore :(

It certainly seems more difficult than it did last week.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    Anyone going fast around 8PM EST tonight?
  • UPSLynxBobby Miller :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Some Tribes action is going down right now. Bandrik, Cola, Kingpin, Midga, NateDog, Weezer and I are going fast. Jump on vent, grab a beverage, and join us tonight.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    So much fun tonight. I have to peace out, but everyone else is still going. Primesuspect, Gate28, Thrax, and Ilriyas showed up. Great games all around.

Unfortunately, no screenshots to share, because I had to restart my PC before joining and I'm a dummy that forgot to reload FRAPS :/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Yeah I got this
    Got my first 2 caps ever tonight!

Great games guys wish I had been there for the whole thing maybe I would've managed to go faster.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Holy. Shit.

How the hell do you hit 340? A massive amount of speed upgrades?
    Boost + good skiing + nitron + pathfinder.
    Holy balls, that's the fastest I've seen. Wow.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Did he go fast? No. Fast doesn't begin to describe it.

Also lol afrojesus, nice name.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian

Don't say I never gave you guys anything.

Also, I GUESS I could give this game a try with you guys. I wasn't a fan of it the first try I had.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!
    GOTTA GO FAAASTT~UUU ^____^
    edited April 2012
    I found this useful infographic today for people who are new to Tribes: http://puu.sh/n2CN

//EDIT: ALSO THIS HOLY SHIT FUNNIEST THING I'VE SEEN ON THE INTERNETZ IN 2012

That. Is. Epic. I now feel really, really sad that eight of my grabs from the match with you guys were llama grabs.

Ah well I think I'm getting better, shoot me a message over Steam or Skype next time we get a lobby running!
    To those who don't understand why this is funny, it's because the US-EN voice for Vegeta, Christopher Sabat, is the announcer for Beagle.
    edited April 2012
    Some terms going into this:

HoF: Heavy on flag
    Cappers/runners: People going for the flag
    DMB: Doombringer
    JUG: Juggernaut
    BRT: Brute
    Sanics: The measure of speed in Tribes, equal to the kilometer per hour
    GOIN' FAST: Exceeding 200 sanics
    Chasers: People looking to kill the flag carrier
    HE: High energy, e.g. explosive

I want to talk about a role that team Icrontic is in desperate need of: HoF. HoF occurs when a DMB (best), JUG (second best) or BRT (worst) physically plants himself directly on the flag.

HoF is vital to CTF play for one major reason: a capper colliding with an HoF is a dead stop for the runner. GOIN' FAST is the name of the game for capping in Tribes, and if you're not goin' fast, you're going to get pasted by chasers.

This gets even better with the Superheavy perk, which actually causes damage to a capper that collides with the HoF. If the capper is anywhere close to 250 sanics, there's a decent chance he will simply die in the collision, crediting the HoF with a kill. Superheavy also makes it substantially harder to move the HoF with a nitron, fuzor, or other HE weapon.

I know Joe plays DMB, but we have lots of Pathfinders and Sentinels, and we could use a few good fat men to stand on our flag. I picked up the Doombringer a few days ago and will start putting my lard where my mouth is, too.
    [VGW]
    @Trax Considering how my initial outing of the game had me being bleh on going fast, maybe I could be your fat guy on the point.
    Holy OP Batman! Is that an Infiltrator?

Seriously infiltrators are starting to piss me off six times in one match I made it back to the base with the flag and one of those buggers killed me while I was running around waiting for my team to recover our flag.
    Agreed, we really need someone to play HoF.

I play about 50% Sent, 50% Juggernaut (though more Jug recently because of the MIRV unlcok. DAT GUN). Jug's are best planted in the midfield for flag running disruption and base destruction. I can play some HoF, but I'm much more effective in the mid.

Doombringer is more desirable for HoF because of his chaingun. All of my weapons are long range HE, so if I manage to stop a runner, I can't easily kill them.
    That image Thrax linked is very accurate, and also hilarious. I laughed at the "oh shit Beagle, what are you doing?"
    I could do HoF. Of the classes I've played so far, Juggernaut came to me most naturally. I found I was more effective at being a ninja jug, because nobody expects that. I'm able to sneak around the less busy parts of the map and show up at the enemy base and destroy a lot of their defenses and cause chaos and confusion. But HoF, I think I could handle.
    I don't want to tell people how to play, 'cause that's shitty, but there are certain things every class can do as a utility multiplier, and most don't do it on the Jug: bombing the living fuck out of the enemy's flag pad. Brian, you did a great job at that the few times we've played together.

To other people want that want to try JUG:
    Find somewhere good, fusion morter the shit out of it, then call down a supply depot (#4 on ye olde keyboard) to keep the pain raining. A heavily turtled defense will undoubtedly have forcefields, turrets and a HoF that needs to go away if a PTH wants to have any hope of making it out alive.
    edited April 2012
    Sorry for triple post, but I just remembered this video:

This goes along well with the image @Thrax posted. For everyone that struggles to kill enemies and can't get the hang of blue plate specials, you need to master inheritance. The game features 50% inheritance to all projectile weapons (and a slightly modified inheritance negative when you fire behind yourself at speed). The image explains all of this, but here is a wonderful video (with fantastic music) that showcases exactly what that inheritance is doing to the projectiles when you assume the initial disc speed is zero:

To other people want that want to try JUG:
    Find somewhere good, fusion morter the shit out of it, then call down a supply depot (#4 on ye olde keyboard) to keep the pain raining
    THIS. This is how I sit on the top of the scoreboard at almost every round on Dry Dock. I be fat on that cliff in the midfield and bombard their base until it's dead, then mortar flag runners and stragglers. When I'm dry, I supply drop, then continue being fat. When mediums come to harass me, I spinfusor them dead (don't bother wasting your jetpack in these engagements, you're fat and can take the damage. Focus on hits), then continue to rain.

Here's a good bit of tips on strong JUG play: http://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes/comments/rmyer/things_ive_learned_about_the_juggernaut_or_how_i/

I figured that out real quick: When I started bombing the enemy flag pad it caused the enemy team to stop what they were doing and focus on me. It's kind of the same way I play engineer. When you get a sentry up at their spawn, they have to stop capping/defending/pushkarting/whatever to deal with you, giving your team a lot of momentum.
    edited April 2012
    I've learned a few things today.

1. I'm fair at capping: Out of three games today I made around nine caps total all from their flag stand and back.

2. I'm horrible at making fast grabs. I have no idea why but all of my grabs were under 150km/h I'm also horrible at steering at high speeds as a pathfinder (aka getting a good angle at the enemy flag) and when I try to jetpack at a high speed to actually hit the enemy flag at their base I've found that, more often than not I simply overshoot (Although I'm proud to say that I rarely miss on the return, although that may have to do with the fact that I'm going slow)

3. Infiltrators are stupid OP and I'm never going to touch one for fear of selling my soul

4. Jumping around my own base with the flag at 180+ with at least 4 of the enemy team chasing me (And failing horribly in their attempts to kill me) is hilarious

On Hof I don't have DM yet but I could try doing it as a jug till then though I'm going to be trying out the technician class.

EDIT: On the note of GOTTA GO FAST anyone up for a game or two right now?
    edited April 2012
    I'm trying REALLY hard to like this game, but thus far it's an exercise in frustration, and honestly I keep finding myself wondering "Why am I playing this again?".

I'm just going to wait for you guys to get on and see if playing in a team helps at all.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    I was telling Prag this earlier, but I'm ashamed to admit I've never played CTF in Tribes: Ascend