Icrontic EVE Discussion

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    I bought a recent issue of EON Magazine, EVE's official magazine and there is a section on scams and alliance thefts. Thought you might find this interesting - they did a top-ten sort of thing, and in total about $143,000 was stolen - those are just the ones that had a real-life value estimation. There is another trillion isk or so that was not valued.

Online spaceships is srs bsns.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    I haven't played EVE since they switched the skill system around. I used to run around in a cyclone and gank people...
    What was it like previously?
    Skills were gained over real time, if you were online or offline. It was a death wish if you went into sectors that didn't have high security. Gate ganking was all the rage.

The alliances that were at the top had massive ships that required over a year of skill training to pilot and when one was destroyed it was BIG news.

That's how things still are. Skill training is realtime, online or offline and it takes years (realistically) to get to the supercapitals.
    Lowsec and nullsec are still a deathwish. I don't know whether titan loss is big news as I'm stuck in carebear/wormhole land but they're still important iirc.
    I thought they did a massive revamp of the skills system?
  • I thought they did a massive revamp of the skills system?
    The only revamp that I'm aware of is that they got rid of the "Learning" skills and gave everyone additional attribute points to make up for it.

Lowsec and nullsec are still a deathwish. I don't know whether titan loss is big news as I'm stuck in carebear/wormhole land but they're still important iirc.
    They're really not a deathwish at all if you know what you're doing. Yes, gatecamps can suck if done right, but they're very possible to escape with a good fit.

Titan loss doesn't happen much, because it's rare that people take their Titans outside of a friendly POS these days anyway except in the case of massive alliance battles. This is especially true since CCP nerfed supercaps (some). I've heard Titans referred to as "giant space coffins" more than once as people basically train up, get into one, then just sit there in it forever.
    edited February 2012
    Huh, that sucks. The best skills I had were learning ones lol.....

I'll prob jump into the game again at some point if there's people to group with???

edit: If anyone has an invite code, I'll just make a new account
    They reimbursed you the SP you had in learning so you can choose where to allocate them. The SP wasn't lost just no longer applied.

I can send you an extended 3 week trial code to an email address you choose, if you would like. Why wouldn't you use your old account, though?

And I'm sure my corp would be happy to have you - we've taken on a couple newcomers recently so we've got our teaching hats on :p Drasnor can give you a more objective review than I can, though
    My old account was used with an e-mail address I no longer have access too. I'll PM you my e-mail address
    Trial sent, I'm Harudath in game if you need me
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    So I made the mistake of thinking about Eve and reading all night. I still have a lot of links queued up to read, but if you're still teaching, I might be up for some learnin'.
    Ozzim. I can send you an extended three week trial if you like. I'm pleased to announce that myself, drasnor, MrTriot and soon BuddyJ will be all under one roof :p If you do sign up convo/message Zarosh Dugan about joining, or just search his name in-game, click on the corporation and then hit apply at the bottom - just mention me/Icrontic so he knows where you're from
    I think I'll take you up on that. Maybe send on Friday so I don't waste weekdays on it. :p
    Sure, chuck me an email address when you're ready :p
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    I played for about a month with a friend about...4 years ago on a relatively crappy comp. I can't even remember what the name of my old account was, but whatever. The interface, for me, was insanely overwhelming and the tutorial was a bit confusing.

I eventually just kinda got bored of it and moved on, since we didn't really have any direction or anything.

I decided to pick it up again a couple of days ago and give the 14-day-trial a go, since now I have a dual-monitor setup (for occupying myself while waiting for things while not needing to alt-tab) and a much more suitable computer for the time. The game is pretty damn beautiful, and I'm actually kind of happy that you're given the impression of doing a bit more with your character than just setting up a static portrait (even if you don't seem able to take him/her anywhere walking besides that one room).

The UI and the tutorials seem much easier to digest this time around. Maybe I wasn't doing things properly before, or they've made jumps in the controls, but it really -feels- a lot easier to use from what I remember.

I've always had a bit of respect for EVE Online. It's a game that is pretty much literally run by the players themselves, and the game can be pretty damn high-stakes. It's all about risk/reward, who you know, what you know, and even having business savvy. You invest a lot of your personal time into the game to churn out these things ingame, and that makes it so that you get a very real sense of investment in the things you acquire along the way. When you get a ship, there's a real feeling of accomplishment. when you lose that ship out of someone's sneakiness, your own stupidity, or just plain misfortune, there's real significant weight behind it.

It's a game that's a lot more...-real- than people realize, I've come to find.

Thus far, I'm having fun, but I'm a bit worried about my options to upgrade to a full account once my trial time is up. I have no access to a paypal or a card to pay for things online, and we apparently don't have anything around here that's selling the physical box sets of the game (even our local Gamestop is currently out). It's kind of bothersome that they don't have the physical gametime cards anymore, but I guess they don't have a huge enough playerbase to really warrant them.

I'm looking into a short-term solution for now, and one longterm one, but any suggestions would be helpful.
    Long-term you can easily pay a subscription for several accounts by flying incursion fleets, which fund my four accounts without that much effort, provided I'm consistent with it. You can start doing these in about one month to five weeks after starting if your skill training is well directed.

Short term there isn't much you can do without access to high(ish) in-game income or buying a GTC/PLEX/subscription outside the game - my guess would be to ask a buddy to perhaps buy one of these for you or use somebody else's payment details temporarily and pay them back however is appropriate for your situation.

Good luck either way
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    By the way, if you're looking for new people, i do believe I'm going to be jumping into this game and hanging around. There's enough here to get me to stay interested, as long as I can get my hands on a box set or something after I get paid either this week or the next.

Look up "Barohil Hampton" ingame.
    We're always looking for new people - you're more than welcome to join the corp I'm in, we have more than a few Icrontians now :p Though I'm afraid I can't send invites, you need to find us and click apply, though if you mention me/you're from Icrontic you'll get in fine :p Have sent you a mail in game
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Three week trial, can has?
    Sure, pm me your email address of choice
    Yay for eve Icrontians!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Sweet! More Icrontians! The EVE experience is so much better when you play with friends. I'm excited to see everyone in game.
    Two new applications have been accepted. I wonder who they are :p
    So do we have set times we do things? I'm very much assuming that I won't be participating in anything for the next few months while I un-nubbify myself, but I might be wrong on that... and either way, I want to be on while everybody else is. :)
    Well, if you can fly a ship you're welcome to come on PvP roams :p which we do once or twice a week, either impromptu or scheduled. Same goes for incrursions/PvE stuff - we don't schedule everything as we're getting big enough for like-minded people to buddy up and get on with their stuff until scheduled events start, etc :) (though they're not mandatory :p)

Incursions will take a few months but the odd PvP roam you'll probably be able to come right away if you were so inclined
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Am I gonna need to make an EVE achievement and badge? :D
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    So... guys... you should tell me when and where these roams are going to happen... :D
    What could possibly end in flames for some and grins for others there? :P