Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You, sir, should write a novel.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    "I have no punctuation, and I must write"
  • I'm a 46 year old single dad (both of my kids are teens) who is now a TOTAL brony. My 15 year old daughter got me hooked. I am very open about my love of the show, and am always encouraging other adults to "throw out everything they know -or think they know about My Little Pony and check it out. The character development is amazing, the morals are great and the storylines and humor get to me every single episode. I'm not bothered that people bash on the show. I realize it is because they don't actually know it and have some prejudice issues from it's former incarnations. By the way, I am college educated, have 23+ years on my job, (where I do a lot of heavy lifting with warehouse/dock worker/construction worker types. Bronies come from everywhere. Anyone can relate to this show if they give it a chance. Love and tolerate... and check it out. I certainly brought back a lot of optimism in my life.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I'm a 46 year old single dad (both of my kids are teens) who is now a TOTAL brony. My 15 year old daughter got me hooked. I am very open about my love of the show, and am always encouraging other adults to "throw out everything they know -or think they know about My Little Pony and check it out. The character development is amazing, the morals are great and the storylines and humor get to me every single episode. I'm not bothered that people bash on the show. I realize it is because they don't actually know it and have some prejudice issues from it's former incarnations. By the way, I am college educated, have 23+ years on my job, (where I do a lot of heavy lifting with warehouse/dock worker/construction worker types. Bronies come from everywhere. Anyone can relate to this show if they give it a chance. Love and tolerate... and check it out. I certainly brought back a lot of optimism in my life.
    Gah! That is so awesome. Thank you for sharing. Anything that allows a father to bond with his child (any ages) is The Best The Best The Best in my book. Good for you for embracing that. FIM has definitely allowed for bonding of friends of all types through our pony streams.

-Digi
  • I love this show. I really do. This fandom's great and all too. Well mostly tho. I just really hate rule 34. With a passion. Like really? Common guys! I wouldn't mind it so much if it was just on a tiny corner of the internet and all, but it's all over my favorite pony YouTube videos! WHY!?!?!?!?!
  • You know i never thought i would love this show so much i would read about why i love it......and REAL MEN WATCH MY LITTLE PONY:FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC B***H!!!!! and and Rainbow Dash is F****N sweet
  • Fucking idiots >:(. can't believe all the retards that watch this crap. 2 of my best friend's aren't friend's anymore. Why? Cuz they watched MLP, they changed a lot, we argued about it and they even swore at me >:(. fucking ugly retarded piece of crap show...>:(
  • I watch this show. I'm a brony but I don't go around and ask my friends TO watch it. That sounds like a selfish idea.
  • I couldn't even get past the theme song. I like the characters, but can't get past the story. I kinda feel the same way about HomeStuck. Love the characters, but the story is too...yeah. Probably take another crack at in in a few years.
  • (Portuguese - Brazil) Bom não podemos falar nada praticamente, pois todos temos liberdade de fazer o que bem entendemos contanto que não perturbe a liberdade dos outros. Eu já estou farto desses poneis, não há um forum sequer que não tenha um velho falando que "assiste show dos poneis", poxa ainda se fosse uma criança daria para engolir mas um velho de 36... sem comentarios! Essa porcaria irrita, fui uma vez assistir um video que apareçeu aquela coisa rosa dizendo "oi sou pinkpie!", se tivesse uma bazooka ^^... O mais interessante é que tem bastante gente nessa merda olha a quantidade de comentarios que fizeram, no meu caso entrei para dizer isso mesmo porque não há um raio de lugar que haja comentarios nessa escala '-.-. abraço a todos!
  • Fundamentally, MLP means to me what it means to the narrator of My Little Dashie.

The community is cool but I don't consider myself a participant in it because I only know two fans MLP and I've never drawn anything on deviantart / uploaded anything to youtube / written any fan fiction. I don't consider MLP a community experience or watching it a way to rebel against cultural norms. MLP is a work of art that I enjoy on my own just as I would enjoy a good film on its own merit. Everyone has a few unusual things they enjoy, and one of mine happens to be a cartoon about ponies. That's pretty normal for me, already a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender and Spongebob long before encountering MLP.

Possibly the most important aspect of MLP to me is that it is a springboard for fan fiction. Sure, it's a cute and well written cartoon, but there is some incredible fiction (My Little Dashie, Somewhere Only We Know, It Takes a Village, and many others) that uses the lighthearted characters and relationships as a vehicle to evoke emotions I didn't know I had. I have pretty good taste in film and literature, and I tend to gravitate toward heavy and even grimdark depictions of humanity. My favorite films are psychological thrillers (Alfred Hitchcock, Christopher Nolan) and crime dramas (Martin Scorsese, Vince Gilligan). MLP and fan fiction derivative of it balance my tastes by reminding me that I do have a heart to experience joy and sadness, not just a mind to analyze plot or to ponder the state of mankind.
  • You all should be ashamed for liking this shit. REALLY. Unless you're all 10 years-old girls.
  • The exact reason why i am watching this, i knew Faust for her work on many Cartoons. Foster, the Powerpuff girls and the Iron Giant where simply amazing. Then, when one of my friends told me that Faust had made THIS. I started watching the show step by steps, episodes by episodes. I found it pretty gay at the start, but watching the community growning and growning. I started to find it actually pretty fun and cute. I CAN'T GET MY EYES OFF THE COMMUNITY AND THE SHOW.

(Pardon my poor english)
  • primesuspectBrian Ambrozy Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Why do everybody this show?
    You tell me.

(I don't remember so many non-reg rage posts in this thread. Kind of hilarious)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Now that front page comments bump the post properly, you'll see all the delicious rage.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    My favorite is this guy.
    Fucking idiots >:(. can't believe all the retards that watch this crap. 2 of my best friend's aren't friend's anymore. Why? Cuz they watched MLP, they changed a lot, we argued about it and they even swore at me >:(. fucking ugly retarded piece of crap show...>:(
    He's so intolerant that he can't have friends. That's hardcore.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    ^That is freaking hilarious.

Also holy crap this still exists I thought the last updates on this page were in January.
  • RAINBOWSRAINBOWS Lisbon/Rainbow Land
    RAINBOWS HERE DOES NOT APPROVE!
    Seriously, what the fuck internet! Can someone explain me why are there so many people crazy for this in a clearer way? Hm?
    Here's a rainbow by the way.
  • Thanks For Giveing An Answer I hope That Are More Mens In Netherland Watch FIM Beceuse i want not the only that watched it in netherland.(I Love Rainbow Dash She Is Just The Best Pony)
    Can someone explain me why are there so many people crazy for this in a clearer way? Hm?
    ....you could start by reading the article you commented on.
    UPS, I did, but still didn't understand, now nevermind. I watched a good video and gonna give it a try. Any episode sugestions?
    I'd suggest starting with an episode like Party of One, Sonic Rainboom, Swarm of the Century, Boast Busters, Read it and Weep, or Hurricane Fluttershy.

They're all awesome and definitely great episodes to start on. I'd personally recommend Sonic Rainboom, it's the episode that got me into this show and features the "best pony" Rainbow Dash. (She is literally the best pony and seeing as your name is Rainbows I'm guessing you may agree. :DDDDDD )
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    I'd suggest starting with an episode like Party of One, Sonic Rainboom, Swarm of the Century, Boast Busters, Read it and Weep, or Hurricane Fluttershy.

They're all awesome and definitely great episodes to start on. I'd personally recommend Sonic Rainboom, it's the episode that got me into this show and features the "best pony" Rainbow Dash. (She is literally the best pony and seeing as your name is Rainbows I'm guessing you may agree. :DDDDDD )
    Ilriyas has a sekerit obsession with Rarity that he can never fully admit to, just look at his Minecraft house.
    You're right, I simply can't hold all that fabulous.
    Ah. I understand, Illriyas. It's OK. You probably didn't notice, but I got an obsession with rainbows.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

2 things: Thank you Ilryias, for sugesting that awesome episode.
    And... Canti, I wasn't talking about Rainbow Dash, but about rainbows... Just plain old rainbows.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Based on your Profile pic RAINBOWS, stick around a bit longer and you to will start posting things that are only slightly on topic :-P

...then again... one obsessed with Rainbows posting in a MLP thread, assumptions will be made.

-Digi
    Glad you enjoyed it mate!