Autodesk: Fueling more than just the entertainment industry

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited April 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Wow. I didn't realize Autodesk did anything for the entertainment industry.

:P
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    Nor did I and funny enough I had AutoCAD open while reading this.
    Nor did I and funny enough I had AutoCAD open while reading this.
    Hahaha, you and me both XD

I've messed with AutoCAD and Inventor for around a decade now. I'd heard of Maya, but I didn't realize it was an Autodesk product.

• JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    That was a really good read
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    My father's been using AutoCAD for years in his career as a mechanical engineer, and now in his second career as an architectural illustrator. He's tried other programs - like when an new employer seems to prefer something else - but he always comes back to AutoCAD when it's all said and done.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    So many people swear by AutoCAD. It's the software I learned drafting on (in Jr. High School, we had one of the earliest versions of the software). Solidworks gives it a good run for the money, but AutoCAD is too strong to go down. Tons of drafters work by it exclusively.
  • This article is excellently written, very educational. The main point I take away though is that @UPSLynx got to go to Lucasfilm and I didn't!!! Nerd tantrum, wahhhhhh!!!!
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    This article is excellently written, very educational. The main point I take away though is that @UPSLynx got to go to Lucasfilm and I didn't!!! Nerd tantrum, wahhhhhh!!!!
    Have you seen his pictures of his trip to Lucas Film yet? They're so cool! I had to tuck my jaw back in the props were just so incredible.
    So many people swear by AutoCAD. It's the software I learned drafting on (in Jr. High School, we had one of the earliest versions of the software). Solidworks gives it a good run for the money, but AutoCAD is too strong to go down. Tons of drafters work by it exclusively.
    There's really no comparison between SolidWorks and AutoCAD. One is a 3D solid-modeling program and the other happens to be able to do some 3D, but is essentially a 2D CAD program. If you want to talk comparisons, Autodesk's Inventor is really the SolidWorks competitor. Between the two, I'll take SolidWorks every time, but honestly I prefer PRO/Engineer over both.
    If you haven't seen the photos on Facebook, I have them all on my Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63697416@N00/
    Between the two, I'll take SolidWorks every time, but honestly I prefer PRO/Engineer over both.
    Dude, Pro/E is SO GOOD.

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    I'd nostalgia over my Pro/E days (and the demise of Pro/D) except Autodesk have been letting me use their stuff for nowt through the education site.

BricsCAD came close to replacing AutoCAD when I worked on Linux but on Windows it's not much of a contest.
  • The entire trip was worth it for this photo alone! It reminds me of that scene in U2's Rattle and Hum where they visit Graceland and Edge sits on Elvis motorcycle. Best field trip ever man!

Yeah, it was a massive bucket list item for me. I almost enjoyed this more than my trip to Pixar. It was fantastic.

(Also, I forgot that I cleaned that pic up before going to FB with it)
    edited April 2012
    Oh hey, I got to see that exhibit (or something very like it) when I was in DC at one of the Smithsonians years and years ago. Was pretty neat :D

Also, almost no one I speak to agrees with me about Pro/E. <3 y'all :3