primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited April 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I think I just geeked in my pants...
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    HOLY SHIT.

Seeing what the folks in the Minecraft community can do with redstone ALONE is insane. I can't WAIT to see what happens with this.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    SPEC IS OUT
    I think I just soiled my PJs.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    I am interested.

Observations:
    * No negative numbers. May not be an issue depending on how the inputs and outputs are represented.
    * The entire address space is RAM so nothing is available for memory-mapped I/O. I have no idea how I/O is going to be handled.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Meh... 16 big unsigned word, but you can always make it behave like a 15 bit signed word programatically.
    Meh... 16 big unsigned word, but you can always make it behave like a 15 bit signed word programatically.
    Agreed, but if sensor inputs and engine outputs are also unsigned, it may not be necessary.
  • ErrorNullTurnipError-Null-Turnip Illinois Icrontian
    How long until someone creates a compiler for this? I can't stand assembly. Really interested to see how this turns out!
    I think it's unlikely that we'll see a compiler for any modern language that's worth using. We might get some sort of C derivative language with no dynamic data structures and only basic functional abstraction features. It won't be much higher level than the assembly code it replaces, but may be easier for some people to use.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    I absolutely can't wait for this game!!! Minecraft was one of the only reasons I broke out my digital logic textbooks from college again... this one will make me take on Assembler again as well... I love the fact that Notch can create a game that actually makes it an advantage to be able to understand subjects like programming and electrical design... but also his games enable others that don't understand those things to learn them just to open up other aspects of enjoyment in the game... Kudos to Notch for making learning fun!!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    https://github.com/dcpu16

So far there are DCPU-16 implementations for C, Java, Ruby, Python, Rust, Haskell, F#, and Javascript.
    I went for the Python emulator.
    http://dcpu.com/highnerd/dcpu16.txt
    DCPU-16 grew signed math, interrupts, exception handling, and vestigal hardware interfacing.
    sweet