Instagram on Android. What's the big deal?

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited April 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    first pinterest, now instagram, going down a road prime...
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    I think it's possible to be *too* social.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    This looks neat.
    Maybe I'll tweet.
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    i love IG. i've been an Igers (that's what we call ourselves) for a year now. i call it "twitter for picture". it's nice when you wanna take pictures at a party and share them rapidly, either on instagram or through twitter/fb/tumblr...
    obviously like any other social media you get your share of emo tweens, nail polish pics, cats & dogs, and half-naked people. so choose who you are following carefully, mostly if you watch your feed in public...
    also you can look me up on it: oni_dels
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I don't get that. How? All of the most important and fulfilling relationships and experiences I've been through in my life have been because of social relationships. The more "out there" I am, the more I experience, and the happier I become. I could probably trace back the genesis of every single important and incredible experience of my life to a social connection I've made.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    I can't believe the iphone anti-instagram-on-android-war is actually a thing. But it is:

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I lulz'd in the office at that. TY for share #teamnofucksgiven
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
  • So here's the deal for me, Instagram for Android isn't an Android app. It's an iPhone app that was ported to Android. All of the design cues are iPhone design queues.
    I'll give you the social aspect of Instagram but you're creating yet another network of users to share with on top of Twitter, Facebook and whatever other networks you might already be a part of. I'm done with Instagram and I really just installed it out of spite for the iPhone hipsters who were bemoaning Android users getting access to it now. They can have it for all I care.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    I'd love to use it, but it does something funky with my completely stock phone and locks it up or crashes it out.

Edit: It works now after updating.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    I don't get that. How? All of the most important and fulfilling relationships and experiences I've been through in my life have been because of social relationships. The more "out there" I am, the more I experience, and the happier I become. I could probably trace back the genesis of every single important and incredible experience of my life to a social connection I've made.

What I meant by too social, is too "social media." There's no more human connection. People have thousands of "friends" on Facebook, 99% of which they will never interact with beyond the Internet. That's not being social. There's a crucial part of the equation missing from these social apps, and piling more on top of an already huge pile moves us another step away from being human.

It's a rare occasion when people get together in person through a social network. It's definitely the exception to the rule. I would agree 100% that without Icrontic I would not have the wonderful friendship I have with many of you. But without seeing you in person, the bond grows weaker. I can update you thousands of times a day without never again seeing you in person, but that's not fulfilling to me as a member of the human race. I lament the fact that I have not been out to Michigan in a long time, but posting a picture, an update, a tweet, every day will not change that.

That is not to say social media is useless, but it should not be the primary way people keep in touch. It is a valuable tool for people to communicate when separated by thousands of miles, social upheaval, and natural disasters. We have also seen that it is a double-edged sword in those situations as well. Information is spread so rapidly, but not necessarily correctly.

So yes, Brian, I do think it's possible to be too social media. I don't care about your tweets, your updates, your instagrams. When I want to share my world, I will. The constant barrage of information dilutes the relevant information. I will never have as many posts or tweets as you, nor do I care to. It doesn't make me less social than you.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Agree with Seth here.

Icrontic does have events, but Icrontic is not the 99%

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Electronically social should be a term differentiated from social. Modern use of social means social via use of electronics. Us oldsters have trouble figuring out what is meant by social on forums these days, vs what IRL social means.

Trying to make shorter something that is not a rant, it is an older generation POV of the word social offered to get intergenerational understanding rather than to start flame-warring.
    There's no more human connection. People have thousands of "friends" on Facebook, 99% of which they will never interact with beyond the Internet.
    I could not possibly disagree more. I can't believe any Icrontian actually believes that social interaction on the internet is:
    ...not being social
    Our lives, our friendships are all exactly because of these internet interactions. Are you saying that the friendships you've made here, in IRC, on Icrontic and Short-media, people whom you've never met in real life, aren't valid? I know you're not saying that.
    I lament the fact that I have not been out to Michigan in a long time, but posting a picture, an update, a tweet, every day will not change that.
    I think this is an attitude and a personal choice, not any reflection on reality. There are people who maintain family relationships over the phone, loved ones living in different countries, etc. I know many grandparents who are thrilled to get Instagram pics of their grandchildren in different countries every day. Tools like photo-sharing apps, Facebook, and the like make these interactions easier than ever before. I don't see any downside to any of this.
    Don't worry Brian, I will still love you no matter how much you blogosphere your social twittergrambook.
    That's part of why you love me :p
    And all this time I thought it was because you're funny and like the same crazy shit I do.
    That's how you KNOW I'm funny and like the same crazy shit you do!
    No, I know because I peek through your window at night.
  • Let's not be coy, someone has a stake in Instagram, and it's way overdone. :)
    No, I know because I peek through your window at night.
    Peek? I saw you standing out in the open, doing the "Thriller" dance while staring deadpan into the patio door
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    i signed up, username modusPwnens
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I heard there were emo tweens and half-naked people so I'm in: Bobby_Digi

-Digi
    I heard there were emo tweens and half-naked people so I'm in: Bobby_Digi

-Digi
    That's just @Cola
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    Downloaded the instagram app for my phone, gonna try it out :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    You know, being about 4 hours away from all my friends in Michigan is just far enough that it can be prohibitive to come back on a lark with any regularity. It ain't cheap. I don't know what I would have done without being able to easily interact with the lives of my friends via social media.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Wait... Who are you again?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    lolfacebook
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    Well, that's big news.

Facebook photo sharing is pretty damned good, so this makes perfect sense. If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em.