Tribes: Ascend is the perfect FPS for gamers who want to go fast

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Yeah dude, wait and give it a go with us. I don't really enjoy play it - or any other game for that matter - on my own without friends.

Marcus Fenix's Pro Skier!
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    Thumper is pro.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    Yeah dude, wait and give it a go with us. I don't really enjoy play it - or any other game for that matter - on my own without friends.

Marcus Fenix's Pro Skier!
    HEY DATS MAH JOOOOKE

...actually it was something I'd heard from someone else a long ways ago, and I can't remember where.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Did not realize about the HoF thing. I'll do that more often in future games.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I was telling Prag this earlier, but I'm ashamed to admit I've never played CTF in Tribes: Ascend
    Arena is my favorite game mode by far. I like the smaller maps and lower player counts. Two of the three maps are great, but the one that actually has a ground is just too big.

TDM is alright, and I used to like it better than CTF, but not since I stopped sucking so much at it (read: since I started playing Raider).

Thanks for that image link, Thrax. That cleared up a few things. :D
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2012

To those who don't understand why this is funny, it's because the US-EN voice for Vegeta, Christopher Sabat, is the announcer for Beagle.

He is? I knew he sounded like Chris Sabat, but I couldn't bring myself to believe it was actually him. I met him once at a con, his talking voice sounds just like Piccolo. It's bizarre.
    It's the reason why I used to play Beagle all day erry day, but we slowly started to prefer Diamond Tiara each game. So long, overlord Vegeta.
    Here are some fantastic SENTINEL tips from a pro. I was frustrated with Sentinel when I first got it, because I felt like it was way too underpowered. In Tribes, sniping plays differently though. You need to play defensively, and disrupt flag runners in route before/after they cap. Also, note what this guy says about using the drop jammer - EXTREMELY important, especially to any HoF.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes/comments/rqfx9/am_i_wasting_my_time_trying_to_play_a_sentinel/c47wmhb

/r/Tribes is a fantastic resource for T:A research. Lots to learn, and a great place to ask questions. It's the only subreddit I follow, it's worth looking into. Also, look for the T:A threads on 4chan's /vg/ board. Not always as directly helpful, but there are a lot of pro players there talking about the game, and it's a good place to ask about things.
    4chan's a good place to ask about things.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I love this game.

Tonight:

1) timed a base run at 180 km/h to kill the flag carrier, returned the flag for the cap and win

2) 160 km/h e- grab at a base contested battle JUST as the flag is returned to the post. SO LUCKY.

3) Having a lot more fun chasing down flag carriers. Most people are just slow.
    Chasing is a terribly under-rated role, but VERY necessary. It's so easy to chase down runners and kill them. Most either want to turtle or flag run.
    edited April 2012
    I do heart myself some chasing. got up to some GONE TO PLAID speeds today!

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    Just finished downloading and trying to fast.

trooster89

Will Tribes be a part of expo?
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian
    It better be.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    If someone wants to make it happen, we need a leader to step up and make it happen; coordinate with Rob (@ghoosdum) to plan it as an official tournament, figure out the hosting side of things (can local games be run?), be mindful of the limits of bandwidth with 30-50 people running things at once, etc. Remember that we run our gaming tournaments locally, because we simply don't have the bandwidth needed to connect 20+ people at once to an internet-based server.

Is it even technically possible? That's the first question.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Not at present. The game needs to exit beta, which will introduce dedicated servers.
    It isn't possible yet in Beta. The game is set to be officially released some time this month, though, and it'll have the capability for customer servers and the like (I'm presuming LAN as well).

Once the full release hits, and if it is technically possible, I will take responsibility for organizing this for expo.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Awesome :D
    Release date: YESTERDAY! YAY TRIBES.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    A couple nifty things.

1. If you haven't already unlocked the Spinfusor for the soldier, Massively is giving away unlock keys for it to celebrate Tribes' launch. They're limited, so get some nuts a key now!

2. In Training > Target Practice, you can now try out classes and weapons that are still locked. Just press [i] to pull the change class menu and select any class. Go to [modify class] and select any locked weapon and it should be equipped.

[VGTG]
    [VGW]
    you can now try out classes and weapons that are still locked
    That'll be super useful for getting people into the game.
    Note that weapons will report as locked, but you can equip them anyhow in practice mode.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    Sorry guys, but I just can't hack it on this game. I'm just not having fun with it.

Wish you all luck.
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
    I can't even get this game to load up. I was super stoked for it but I can't even fucking get into it. The game startup screen comes up then it just quits so i guess I am not playing it bummer.
    Or you could try to fix it? I'm sure the T:A forumites or devs would be happy to help.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Try running as admin, repair install, normal other stuff that you use to troubleshoot.
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
    I've tried all of those things and it still doesn't work. Guess Hi-Rez just doesn't like me.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    That is one way to look at it.