v7 open beta

124»

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    The RAM reported matters at lower levels, or if you want to limit the amount possibly exposed to F@H for other reasons. Right now, my "server" is folding a 6097 through FAH GPU tracker (so, 6.34 rather than v7 beta client but the GPU tracker is really just what FAHControl does in v7) and 9800GX2 is folding a pair of GPU2 WUs.

The SMP core (what is actually doing the work) is only using ~178MB of RAM and the GPU2 cores are at 73MB each. The clients are at ~1MB each and the overall program (FAHControl, in your case, FAH GPU Tracker in mine) is at 29MB. Total memory hit: 356MB.

My main rig, which I run -adv and -big (which you should be for SMP) WUs is around the same total hit.

As to why you got a points increase, who knows. Maybe it was getting sent to swap when you were doing other things and now it doesn't. Faster RAM would feed the processor faster, but I don't know how much of a bottleneck that is and don't have the will power to test it out on my rigs (gotta keep folding :P). You are correct in stating that the client is what talks to the server (giving it stats about the machine on which it is running and pulling/pushing WUs) and then engages the core to do the work.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    The RAM reported matters at lower levels, or if you want to limit the amount possibly exposed to F@H for other reasons. Right now, my "server" is folding a 6097 through FAH GPU tracker (so, 6.34 rather than v7 beta client but the GPU tracker is really just what FAHControl does in v7) and 9800GX2 is folding a pair of GPU2 WUs.

The SMP core (what is actually doing the work) is only using ~178MB of RAM and the GPU2 cores are at 73MB each. The clients are at ~1MB each and the overall program (FAHControl, in your case, FAH GPU Tracker in mine) is at 29MB. Total memory hit: 356MB.
    Um, what about the WU data and work chunk data impact(you are giving process impact)???? And right now I am at a lower folding PPD level and machine processing ability level, my box is a humble single-CPU 2600K with no discrete graphics card to GPU fold.

However, EOC stats is guesstimating that I will hit a million points about April 1st-2nd. Started with zero points Feb 4. Same single dedicated Folding box the whole time. :D

My main rig, which I run -adv and -big (which you should be for SMP) WUs is around the same total hit.

As to why you got a points increase, who knows. Maybe it was getting sent to swap when you were doing other things and now it doesn't.
    I have been getting consistently more for about 10 days now, in the range specified. So either the client and cores and other stuff were in swap for 22 days and ten days ago (when I increased the RAM) stopped being in swap, or something really weird happened.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Anyone installed v7 on a headless (read: no X installed at all) Linux box? I've not tried it yet, but it looks to me like they've gotten rid of the ability to configure it via the command line. All their documentation suggests that the GUI is the only way to config the damn thing.
    I do not believe it can be installed on a headless machine, due to the issue you cited. I am using SMP client for my headless (no-longer bigadv) machine, but I don't know that there are any immediate plans for headless configuration.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    Tushon are you still running cpu & gpu on advanced client-type (-advmethods)?
    Yes to CPU and mixed. I am running -adv on GPU3 for my GTX570, running regular GPU3 for my GTX465 and regular GPU2 for my 9800GTX2