Animation Software

The-GentlemanThe-Gentleman warren Member
edited April 2012 in Science & Tech
Hello everyone, lately i have been wondering on how to make animations on some sort of free software. Today day I stumbled upon the software called Blender. I Downloaded it, opened it and was so confused at the interface. I have surfed through YouTube and couldn't find a good video explaining it well. I'm wondering if someone could help me use Blender or find a different software. Thanks!

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2012
  • The-GentlemanThe-Gentleman warren Member
    Thank you. ill tell you if i have any further questions...have you used this software before?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Very basically, but @UPSLynx may be able to provide better advice
    ok thanks,
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I've only used Blender very, very basically, so I can't comment on specifically how to use it. Blender does provide a lot of learning resources though:

http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/

Blender is pretty simple to use and very powerful. It's a good piece of software to learn on.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    What kind of animation are you trying to learn? Are you trying to learn digital (3D) or are you going for a more traditional route (2D), but done from a digital tablet. I'm assuming 3D by your choice of Blender. Blender is okay, but I'm not a fan of it at all (personal preference). The UI does seem a bit confusing and much of the information on the net about it is very spread out. If you want, I'd suggest looking at the free trial of Maya or my personal preference 3Ds Max (which I have lots of experience using). These two are pretty much 1 in the same when it comes to learning the UI's. Also, these are the standards that are taught to animation students (I am one ;)). There are TONS of tutorials on these fantastic sites that offer a WORLD of info and help. A great site that I suggest you frequent regarding animation is CGSociety.org. This site is a HUGE member in the animation/CG community and offer tutorials, one on ones, Q&As, etc...all for free!
    I would also suggest you grab a few books if you really want to learn how to animate. No matter what platform you use (Digital or Traditional) if you don't understand what animation is and how to effectively create it, anything you make will look "off" when viewed by others. Some books that I would recommend and own (Animator's Survival Kit, The Illusion of Life, Character Animation Crash Course, Timing for Animation, and the Maya/3Ds Max Bibles). Also, if you have a chance and find some videos check out Jason Ryan Animation (http://www.jasonryananimation.com/).
    Shoot me a message and I may be able to get you some software, or access at least to some good stuff to use.
    Thanks UPSLynx, the linked helped :D.

JBoogaloo - i want to learn how to Digital. when i have time (between football and school) i will download Maya. ill go to my local library and check out some animation books and keep you posted. I will defiantly be sending you a message once i get some books so i can have a basic understanding, thank you! :)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Books to read:

-The Illusion of Life
    -The Animator's Survival Kit
    -Preston Blair's Cartoon Animation

The first two are mandatory. No exceptions. The third one isn't as important once you've read survival kit.
    Oh, if you don't want to read all the filler and just want to understand animation. LEARN about The 12 Principles of Animation. These are an animators main tools! Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    Sorry to jump into op's thread like this.

I just wanted to say thank you to you guys for all the above info, as i am also intrested in animation
    @Vicar, NO PROBLEM! I have TONS of info, books, online resources, etc... for anyone who wants to learn or at least jump into it and give it a run. I'm an animation student hoping to finish late next year with a bachelor's. I haven't put anything up on the net yet, but there should be stuff up soon (within a couple months) that you can see of my work. Just shoot me a message and I can point you in a few directions or I could share some of my books (if I get them back, lol!), etc...
    Always good to see people wanting to LEARN how to animate, not just make things move, hahaha!
    i can't wait to get my hands on those books and start animation XD