Video Editing Software?

midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi(> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
edited April 2012 in Internet & Media
Disclaimer: If this has been addressed elsewhere, feel free to blow up this thread and point my idiot face at the appropriate place.

I've started messing with Fraps, and I would like to combine my video pieces (even with the full version it breaks them up) into one big video in a slightly-compressed and common format. I tried Windows Movie Maker, but it seems kinda fail. Like, no video came out. Got audio just fine, though. Also, it only does wmv.

So, my question to you, Internets, is this: what free/open source video editing software would you recommend for doing this? I'd prefer something for Windows 7 as I don't currently have a nix box set up. I'm also fairly adamant about free vs. "free".

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I think @pirateninja has some movie-editing software that he's developing. I'm pinging him to this thread.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Sweet.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    You know, Windows Movie Maker probably wouldn't be half bad for this.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I tried Windows Movie Maker, but it seems kinda fail. Like, no video came out. Got audio just fine, though. Also, it only does wmv.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I THINK that I have a copy of Adobe Premiere Pro that I could send ya. Let me get in touch with my wife and see if she can go through my stuff and look for it. If I do I'll shoot you a message and we can work something out from there, if you're interested of course.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2012
    PowerDirector 10 by Cyberlink should do what you need. We use it at work for similar projects and it does the trick. Not the best, certainly not the worst but for $70 it gives a lot of bang for the buck.
    PowerDirector 10 by Cyberlink should do what you need. We use it at work for similar projects and it does the trick. Not the best, certainly not the worst but for $70 it gives a lot of bang for the buck.
    I'll keep it in mind, but I'd rather find something free if at all possible. Thanks for the recommendation :)
    I THINK that I have a copy of Adobe Premiere Pro that I could send ya. Let me get in touch with my wife and see if she can go through my stuff and look for it. If I do I'll shoot you a message and we can work something out from there, if you're interested of course.
    Shoot me a PM and we can discuss details. I'm still trying to go rather cheap here, especially since I just threw down for the full version of Fraps, but I know a number of people who are familiar with APP, so there's the added bonus of a good support network.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I'll keep it in mind, but I'd rather find something free if at all possible. Thanks for the recommendation :)
    Shoot me a PM and we can discuss details. I'm still trying to go rather cheap here, especially since I just threw down for the full version of Fraps, but I know a number of people who are familiar with APP, so there's the added bonus of a good support network.
    Will do! And if I do have it, you'll have a completely free piece of SW. Now here's to hoping she finds it at home! ;)
  • My software wouldn't quite work for your needs yet.
    I'd give this one a go, but I can't say I've ever used it.
    http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

VideoLAN also has some great things going on:
    http://www.videolan.org/vlmc/
    vlmc looks like it'll be interesting. Sadly, it appears it's not been released yet.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    a search for "open source premiere" leads to this:

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

dunno if you've taken a look at it yet or if anyone has comments about it.

edit:

you might also look at using xsplit to capture your screen instead of fraps - i'm not sure but i think it may not split up your recordings into small files.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    The definitive (or nearly so) guide to Open Source alternatives: http://www.osalt.com/premiere

There are 4 options there, though a couple are Linux only. VirtualDub (or vdubmod) would probably fit your needs...
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    Be careful with virtualdub and videolan a lot of their 'free' where is a huge pain in the but to actual use the free version and much of it is crippled, leaves watermarks etc.....
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    you can certainly try ezvid, but it is for uploading to youtube only and you lose sound.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Be careful with virtualdub and videolan a lot of their 'free' where is a huge pain in the but to actual use the free version and much of it is crippled, leaves watermarks etc.....
    1) It's 'ware' not 'where' (pet peeve)

2) It's been a bit since I last used virtualdub, but I don't recall it ever forcing a watermark on videos. It's free open source software, what would be the point of putting a forced watermark on the video? They don't even HAVE a paid version to promote. In fact, from the looks of it, they don't even have a watermark filter included in the software out of the box. If you want to watermark your videos, it looks like you need to download a separate filter and install it.
    Okay, messed around with Lightworks a bit last night, but for some reason I could never get the video and audio to import the same length. It seems it was detecting the video as 50fps while it was actually 60fps. It's still in beta, though, so it may just be a kink that needs to be worked out. I also messed around with VirtualDub, and it looks like it might work, but I let it convert overnight and haven't had a chance to look at the results today. Here's hoping!
  • I don't wanna sound mainstream, but... If you learn how to handle it, Sony Vegas is pretty darn great!
    Looks like VirtualDub did the trick. Thanks for the help y'all :D