Intel AMT Question

TushonTushon I'm scared, CoachAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited April 2012 in Hardware
I've been looking for a IP-KVM or remote solution for some time and stumbled across it being built-in to several Intel processors. Specifically, it is supported in the i7-2600 and presumably will be in the i7-3700(K?) releasing later this month. Does anyone with the 2600(and/or K) have this enabled or would be willing to take a look at it for me?

The reference page for vPro support is here (with only 2600 and backwards in time processors listed)

Example of turning it on and using it here

If it works as it appears to on that site, AMT is exactly what I need and will be building a computer around that shortly.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    Maybe @Straight_Man or @_k_ (if you do), nor sure who else has 2600s
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Hmmm.... Download link??? I am traveling later this month and could test it then. I do have a folding 2600k-based box I wuld like to check up on....
    edited April 2012
    The example link has the (generic) instructions and here is the link to the page with current exe used to connect after it is set up initially.

It seems pretty straight forward and EXACTLY what I wanted from a solution, so it'll be awesome if it works for you.
    I have run into a catch-22. Either the 2600k does not support vPro OR my motherboard's BIOS does not support it as I cannot find anywhere in BIOS any vPro or AMT support. Without that, the SDK will not recognize that the computer exists. There is no vPro extension, either, even after installing the SDK-- and the SDK does not uninstall in Win 7's programs and features part of Control Panel as it does not show up.
    What mobo do you have? I just got home and thought about BIOS support issues on the train
    edited April 2012
    @Tushon MSI H61M-P21 B3 mobo.
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, I don't see anything in the manual which specifies either AMT or vPro support. Thanks for checking and sorry for getting you excited
    Something I did not know about, so did not spec in.... My DERP in designing my system for dedicated folding-- at least it has a head so for management that is easy. I tried the laptop also, no go. Also, Win 7 Service Pack 1+ has .NET 4 rather than .NET 2.

BTW, if you want to uninstall the kit after trying it and finding it does not work as expected, it hides in Programs and Features under "Managibility Developer Tool Kit". At least I figured that out....
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I have run into a catch-22. Either the 2600k does not support vPro OR my motherboard's BIOS does not support it as I cannot find anywhere in BIOS any vPro or AMT support. Without that, the SDK will not recognize that the computer exists. There is no vPro extension, either, even after installing the SDK-- and the SDK does not uninstall in Win 7's programs and features part of Control Panel as it does not show up.
    The 2600K does not support vPro. The 2600 does. It's a really odd decision on Intel's part that none of the "K" designated Sandy Bridge CPUs would support the technology. I'm not sure whether this will follow on to Ivy Bridge...I certainly hope not though.
    Okay, I was confused by that on their site as well. Thanks for the info and I agree. I wouldn't be building this system until Ivy Bridge anyways, but the underlying chipset isn't very widespread anyways :/ (among consumer-geared boards ... lots of enterprise-vendor types have it)
    I was able to find a list of the Intel manufactured boards which have vPro tech and the one that would be aimed at us was this one (newegg) and using only the 2600, not 2600K as mertesn stated. If anyone wants to see the rest of them, I'll figure out what the site link was.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the-intel-ivy-bridge-core-i7-3770k-review/2

vPro is unavailable on the 3770K and is available on the 3770. Seriously lame.