Adobe announces Creative Suite 6 and Creative Cloud

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited April 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Event Lightroom comes with Creative Cloud. It's an insane package.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I'm intrigued.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Something to consider: If you are eligible for upgrade pricing on any of the Adobe Creative Suite packages, the upgrade pricing is slightly less than the $600 for an annual subscription. Case in point: Master Suite CS6 costs $549, $51 less than a one year subscription.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    While things moving to the cloud is great for me professionally (because it means more jobs in my field), I still don't like it. Time to flog the deceased equus here... Internet connectivity is still not a given. Home ISPs are traffic shaping, bandwidth limiting and never seem to provide the speed or reliability they advertise. Internet connections at things like conferences are notoriously bogged down or flaky and sometimes you're just plain not near an Internet connection. Until connections become vastly more reliable and completely ubiquitous, moving all your critical software into "The Cloud" will not be a good idea in practice. Not that it matters to me, of course, I have no need for Adobe's products anyway.
  • While things moving to the cloud is great for me professionally (because it means more jobs in my field), I still don't like it. Time to flog the deceased equus here... Internet connectivity is still not a given. Home ISPs are traffic shaping, bandwidth limiting and never seem to provide the speed or reliability they advertise. Internet connections at things like conferences are notoriously bogged down or flaky and sometimes you're just plain not near an Internet connection. Until connections become vastly more reliable and completely ubiquitous, moving all your critical software into "The Cloud" will not be a good idea in practice. Not that it matters to me, of course, I have no need for Adobe's products anyway.
    As with Steam and some other DD platforms, you're only required to have an internet connection at download and activation. Then it phones home (internet required) for once every 30 days thereafter. So not that bad.

The bandwidth cap argument, well, that's another thread.

Ah... guess I misinterpreted what Creative Cloud was. Sounded to me like it was a sort of over the net edition of Creative Suite, where the actual software was running on Adobe's servers and you had to be connected to use it. This is what I get for skimming.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Yeah, it's the buzzword usage of "cloud" vs. the correct usage.
    Adobe: Now Buzzwords 3.0 compatible.
  • Yeah, initially I thought I'd have the option to use these program via web browser on my tablet/mac/desktop/laptop with syncronized files, etc. But....no.

The subscription does net you both the Windows/Mac versions and you can have it on a primary and backup machine as long as they aren't used at the same time.

• JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    As a 5.5 user (3 and 4 previous), I may jump on the pricing for the creative cloud membership. But, purchasing CS6 software packages, even at student pricing I don't think is really worth it, yet. I have a bit more reading to do from the full article and adobe's website, but I'm really thinking that these "upgrade" will offer just about as much as 5.5 did upgrading from 4, not a whole ton of difference. Thanks for the info. Time to get reading!
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Pardon my defense of Adobe but the "cloud" they might argue is in the storage. Like saving all of your output to Drop Box. In fact, Drop box uses the same model sans the software having a monthly charge. IMO it's not a bad model. I'm sure the upgrade being right around the 1 year cost was no accident either. I say good for Adobe. Like Prime mentioned this will be a savior for small businesses that can't shell out the money up front. Like leasing a car, sure you don't own it in the end, but you still get the results during the lease.

-Digi
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    It looks like the Creative Cloud pricing for both Students/Teachers as well as existing customers will be $29.99 per month with an annual subscription.
  • Sp00nmanSp00nman Ferndale, MI
    I'm excited and can't wait for the 7th to begin downloading the apps. I like the idea of having access to the software on my various workstations. The cloud is going to offer syncing of my files, which is nice as well. But I get that with SkyDrive no anyway.

I wouldn't be very excited if these were typical browser-based apps. You can't get the same value/experience in a browser. Could you imagine if these were truly streamed apps!? That'd be like editing a video through your remote desktop connection, no thanks.

Anyone else pre-order?
    edited May 2012
    edited May 2012