General profession info

TushonTushon I'm scared, CoachAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited April 2012 in Gaming
Perhaps a wow vs GW comparison. If this is silly, let me know but I was looking through the professions and (having never played a GW game before) would like some comparisons I'm more familiar with. Some of the professions seem to line up very nicely with WoW classes, and some don't. I just wanted to get some knowledgeable input before I settled in on a choice for the beta weekend. I didn't read EVERYTHING on the wiki, but I did look over the profession pages. Is it silly to think of it in terms of tank, dps, and healer? Several seem to possible hybrids

A second questions is what is the character creation process like? What should we know going in? It appears to be
Race > Profession > traits?

Any other wiki pages I should have looked at?

Guardian - tank?
Warrior - like a arms warrior in WoW, dps w/ some defensive
Engineer - Not sure if there is a comparison, but looks like a hybrid dps/healer
Ranger - hunter
Thief - rogue
Elementalist - mage
Mesmer - not sure if there is a comparison
Necromancer - sorta warlock

Still confused on how traits are going to work. Do you select one? Multiple?

Comments

• TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    Is it silly to think of it in terms of tank, dps, and healer?
    Kinda. This will be a good source for a look into that aspect of the game: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/healing-death/

Important part:
    Instead of the traditional trinity, every Guild Wars 2 profession is self reliant--not only can they all help each other by reviving in combat, but all professions have ways to build their characters differently to make them more versatile for group play.

Ultimately, DPS/heal/tank just didn't cut it in our book...er, game. Our players demand more from Guild Wars 2 and we intend to deliver on that demand instead of delivering more of the same. Not only is the trinity very formulaic, but it leaves out a lot of gameplay elements that make many other games so much fun. Instead, we break these trinity categories down into a cooler, more versatile system:
    This is honestly one of the things that intrigues me most about this game.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    Awesome. Thanks for the link! That is a great explanation of how the system will work. I'm going to have to do some more reading about specific classes on the "main" site rather than wiki.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    In point of fact, ArenaNet has been running every dungeon in the game with groups consisting entirely of the same class. All is well.
  • After the first BWE, I'll likely start a "What is your Class" thread so we can get a comprehensive list of all the classes.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    After the first BWE, I'll likely start a "What is your Class" thread so we can get a comprehensive list of all the classes.
    or just http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page
    I think he meant what people had actually chosen, not what was available.
  • I think he meant what people had actually chosen, not what was available.
    I think he meant what people had actually chosen, not what was available.
    In point of fact, ArenaNet has been running every dungeon in the game with groups consisting entirely of the same class. All is well.
    so, I guess my point is, it won't matter what people play?

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    It looks like there wont be any 'summoner' style class.
    necromancer?
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited April 2012
    The point in this particular case of having specific classes mapped is because although you can play through the game with any combination, there have always been rewarding reasons to play with a well balanced group. Even within a group of "All of the same class" different characters were playing different roles (Damage, Control, Support).

With a comprehensive list we know what is already fairly represented by the community if that factors into an individuals character creation process or perhaps if a particular class helps ease the difficulty of a particular encounter or zone with a class mechanic.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    necromancer?
    I'm looking at their skills, and I don't see anything that sounds like 'summon undead'
    edited April 2012
    necromancer?
    I'm looking at their skills, and I don't see anything that sounds like 'summon undead'
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Minion

necromancer?
    It was under sub-section C: Undead rat-hybrids that wear human skulls as armor.