Civ 5 - Mars Wrecks I [complete]

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited June 2014 in Civilization
While we're trying to get the, possibly too gigantic, first FFA game off the ground, I'd like to propose a game which would be a bit quicker:

Mars Wrecks will be a 6-player free-for-all game with some unique settings to simulate this story:

In 1886, a meteor storm brought a strange mineral to earth, one from which a never before seen fuel could be formulated, a fuel which could allow the burgeoning space exploration initiatives (started by Abraham Lincoln before his death testing a new rocket of his invention in 1878) to finally reach Mars, bringing their extra-terrestrial colonies out to a new planetary body (Luna is getting crowded).

Each player is leading a one-way expedition to Mars with a small colony and military force. They have all the technology of their Industrialized home, but no contact with Earth, so they'll have to build from scratch, including rebuilding many of Earth's world wonders which the people will come to miss in this barren place.

What does this mean practically? I'll be placing the six players, including myself, into a mountainous world with no major oceans, and a very arid climate. We'll all start with all techs up through the Industrial age, but nothing else (we get one settler, a worker and two military units apiece). There will be no city-states and no barbarians. All victory conditions will be enabled except for 'time' (so that the game doesn't stop at 2051).

Post here if interested. I'll take the first five players to commit for this game. If there is enough interest, we can start another game with the same rules for another group. It would be interesting to see them run side-by-side.

Players confirmed:
CB
Colgere
Basil
PirateCock
Nights
Midga

Comments

• ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    In.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Oh, I'm in for this, just logged in to start a thread for a 4-6 man game, late era, game.

Can we turn off ruins?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Hmm... ruins of ancient martian civs?... You think it would be unbalancing or just non-canon? :D
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    I'd love to be in. Basil and I have the hang of gmr now, and as he puts it the FFA 001 is hilariously long.

This sounds like a great option to get play time in while we wait for Ilriyas to fix his computer and while Basil and I spend a week getting out of the stone age in our 1v1.

So yes, please count me in if there is room. The storyline is awesome!
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Would love to!
    edited May 2012
    You think it would be unbalancing or just non-canon?
    Neither, I just have a totally irrational dislike of them.

Also, thanks to SkimWords I just lost the game rereading your opening post.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I don't have Civ V installed, but I just wanted to chip in and say that this is a really cool idea, CB. :)
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    I'd like to give it a go :o

And I'm going to take the opposite stance on ruins. I have an irrational deep-rooted love for them.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    I agree with midga on the goodie huts, however, much like Basil I just lost the game.
    That's our six players. I'll go start the game and invite you all now. Ancient ruins will remain. :)
    Ancient ruins will remain. :)
    Muahahahahahaha, excellent. *moustache twirl*
    I'm going to war with the first person to score all terrain archers from ruins.

Just sayin.
    What now? All I ever got from ruins in our game was a map and a small bit of gold.
    edited May 2012
    AFAIK it's possible for a ruin to upgrade a scout to an archer giving you a ranged unit that still moves like a scout making it easier to kite.
    With our tech level, we wont have that specific ruins issue. :)
    I started the game, and it's not quite what I was expecting. I'd never begun a game any later than the renaissance before, so my expectations were built from that. Mainly: We get to start with a lot more than I thought. It's not just a settler a worker and two military. It's three settlers three workers and four military, and your cities (the first one at least) start with some buildings in them.

So maybe not quite the 'build from scratch' I thought it would be, but it still works. :D

Also, since three players chose Russia, I changed the names of two of them, so we can tell them apart in game messages. Colgere is 'Russia', Midga is 'Equestria', and Nights is 'USSR'.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Midga is 'Equestria'
    /thread
    edited May 2012
    Russia is babies, America is where it's at yo.
    Midga is 'Equestria'
    /thread
    What? They get horse tile bonuses. Also, according to popular rumor of the time, Catherine the Great was a great lover of equine kind. ;)
    edited May 2012
    For those wondering, you load this through the multiplay hotseat - I was dumb and tried to load it through single player.

Also, I just played my first turn as Arabia, which is who I chose. Where does it show I'm Russia?
    edited May 2012
    It showed me that you had chosen Russia in the Web interface, so that's what I set you to. Did you change at the last second?

Perhaps GMR overrides the actual in-game selection? Maybe the person setting it up doesn't have to do as much work as I believed?

Did it also override my renaming of the civs?
    Odd, shows me as Arabia in my web interface. I'd changed it, but certainly not last minute - someone else had yet to select a civilization to play as.

Appears I have a default Arabia setup, so I believe it did.
    Well shit. Means that when the game gives us nation messages, we wont know who's who. :/

"Russia just finished the hanging gardens!" "Russia has made an alliance with Arabia!" "Your deals with Russia have ended."

I wish it would use the player name instead.
    I see Equestria, not Russia.
    Well crap. I don't know what's going on anymore.
    I'm at work, so bear with me with this suggestion: can I reopen my save game and check my civilization, or will I need to wait until my turn again?

Worst case, we have 2 "Arabias" and best case we have an Arabia named USSR for giggles.
    Why would we have two Arabias?

Also, I dunno what your days are like, @Colgere, but you can probably play more than once a day with the rate the rest of us are taking turns :D
    Why would we have two Arabias?
    CB is Arabia, as well. At least, according to my GMR screen...which apparently plays tricks on us.

Oh, I missed that. ^^;
    I could have sworn I was Arabia, and then when I took my second turn I had turned in to India but my memory is marginal.