Help Vote Grand Rapids, Michigan for Beer City USA! (ends today)

WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Food & Drink
Some of you may have heard, but Grand Rapids (Michigan) could really use your help to get named Beer City USA 2012 by Examiner.

Grand Rapids was put on this ballot from a nominating ballot, and is head to head with Asheville, NC, which has won this 3 years in a row. Currently Grand Rapids is at 30%, only 1 or 2 % behind Asheville, with the rest of the cities very far behind. Voting ends tonight at midnight.

Icrontic is based in Michigan (and a few of us Icrontians live in Grand Rapids), so help support Michigan by voting for us! Grand Rapids has Founders Brewing Company, which has been named one of the top breweries in the world, and HopCat, one of the top beer bars in the world. We have several other breweries in the city, with more popping up every year! (I believe there are 3 more that will be opening this year.)

If I'm not convincing enough, here is a list of reasons why Grand Rapids should be named Beer City USA: http://sicilianosmkt.blogspot.com/2012/05/vote-gr-for-beer-city-usa.html

Here is the poll: http://polldaddy.com/poll/6132829/
(P.S. You can vote on multiple browsers, multiple computers, etc. if you so choose.)

Thanks!

Comments

• WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    Seriously, this is reason alone: http://foundersbrewing.com/
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Nnnngghhhh... Founders. (Drool)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Already been voting :D
    Already been voting :D
    Thank you! Spread the word!
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Haven't had any GR beers I don't think, but Austin has some great little breweries that I've really enjoyed. That being said, I'll vote GR instead of Austin just because you took the time to call me out by name and ask. Now I must politely demand to have my GR beer deficiency remedied at EPIC. :D
    What's the point of this, anyway?
    edited May 2012
    The point is ultimately to recognize Grand Rapids as a newly (and quickly) emerging beer mecca. (Like Traverse City is for wine.) It would also bring more tourism to Grand Rapids and Michigan, and continue boosting the economy here. Founder's has a huge Festival (actually the Saturday of Epic, which is partially why I won't be there), where people travel across several state lines to attend. They also do the same when there is a specialty beer release. It's pretty incredible that we have this here.

Several stores in the Detroit area have Founders beer for sale, otherwise I'm sure you could try twisting the arms of @HumerusMeg or @Magic to get you something in a growler from the brewery, since I won't be at Epic.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    since Kansas City (Boulevard Brewing) is not on the list I voted for your city
    Well, we tied with Asheville! Thanks for those who helped vote. :)

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/05/ashevilles_success_with_beer_c.html
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Funny story: I was on an airport shuttle to my hotel today, for over an hour. The couple I shared the shuttle van with were from Asheville, and so we started talking mess to each other about beer :D
    Tor helped with about a percent ;)
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    Rather than leave the state, the missus and I are planning a MI road trip vacation toward the end of summer with Grand Rapids as our first stop. I've been there once for a MI winter beer festival, but that was mostly a blur and I got there and back on a bus. Looking forward to the Founders... mmmm. Oh yeah, I and I guess they have other stuff there :)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    Too bad I found this too late. I was just there today and found several I liked, especially the Porter. It was a welcome end to a long day of meetings and doing evaluations. LONG LIVE FOUNDERS!
    You guys need to let me know when you are in Grand Rapids! I'll gladly buy you a beer. :)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    You guys need to let me know when you are in Grand Rapids! I'll gladly buy you a beer. :)
    I plan to return sometime, as well as get to ICHq again. This time I found out I was traveling when the boss stuck his head in my office and informed me that I needed to be on the jet in 30 min to cover some stuff for him.

This year we were far from a tie. Grand Rapids officially won the 2013 title at Beer City USA!

http://www.examiner.com/article/grand-rapids-michigan-is-beercity-usa-2013
    midgaGnomeQueenHumerusMeg
  • entropicbeautyentropicbeauty Grand Rapids, MI
    I totally missed this, but looks like it didn't matter. Landslide victory! Even better that Kzoo came in second...doesn't that make Michigan beer STATE usa?!
    WagsFTW

doesn't that make Michigan beer STATE usa?!

Exactly what I said! 3 of the top 4 cities were in Michigan!