Learning sc2

FearmyblinkFearmyblink California Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Gaming
I bought sc2 about a month ago and have played about 70 ladder games or so (obviously in bronze) and have been improving from practice along with watching a lot of sc2 streams, i love the game so far. I have learned a few build orders and openers and what works best versus different races to an extent, but i know i can improve overall on everything in the game and so far I've learned pretty quickly.

The two biggest things i need to do is actually learn how to micro since i don't really do it now cause i get sort of lost on what is most important to micro and such and also what to assume when i scout. I assume there are some people on this website that play because the game has pretty widespread popularity.

Any tips for a newbie? I don't have high expectations of being masters or GM at all because i know that's a ridiculous goal having only played for a month, but i would like to get into the better leagues where i don't face as many cheesers and BM (if that even happens in the higher leagues). Anything would be appreciated. maybe even some practice games to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    What race do you play?

The most important thing (until you get to diamond/masters) is macro. Micro is irrelevant. If you follow the build order and don't get supply blocked, always build workers, and always produce out of your buildings, I can guarantee you will get to at least gold.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Anything is possible man, just put in the time, learn a build order or two just to get a feel for how your race plays, practice macro macro macro (basically what shwaip said) and you should move up pretty quick. That said, I haven't played in months :(
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    If you are really looking to improve listen to what Shwaip said. Macro really is the difference between the lower and higher leagues. Learn some build orders, execute them over and over until you get really comfortable and you'll see good results. Watch some Day9 Dailies (especially newbie tuesdays) and you'll learn a lot. Most importantly have some fun with the game, don't let the ladder scare you away from trying new things. A 50% win percentage in this game is actually perfectly acceptable.
    A 50% win percentage in this game is actually perfectly acceptable.
    (It is nearly impossible to have greater than a 50% win rate)
  • FearmyblinkFearmyblink California Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    I can't believe i forgot to put what race i play.... fail. I play Terran. Was inspired by players like MMA, Mvp and MKP after watching some tourneys. thank you for the tips, since i haven't really even tried to micro so i've been just trying to strengthen my macro and hit certain timings for attacks.
    Here's a build you should be able to do, a-move and win all the way to gold. It can get dicey if you're playing protoss and they ff the ramp.

Notice that I time the move out so that I can get there right when stim finishes. When it does, I stim, a-move, and stay looking at my base to keep macroing (expanding, putting down more rax).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1000748/sc2/terran 3 rax build.SC2Replay
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Try to stay within one race. For me I chose terrain.
    Terran imba.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    I don't know how anyone can still call Terran imba.
    MVP
  • FearmyblinkFearmyblink California Icrontian
    MVP too strong, still don't know a lot about the game but watching his macro in the late game is insane. his tournament wins in 2011 and so far in 2012 definitely reflect how good he is.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    I have been choosing random just for the hell of it. Thats how I was able to learn all the races <_<