Civ 5 - Icrontic 2x4 - Twin Flames [complete]

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited June 2014 in Civilization
I sit on my throne and I wonder... Is there someone out there for me?

I survey my tiny island kingdom and know that I'm supposed to think that it is enough. I have my many concubines to occupy my bed at night, my queen to bear the heirs that fill my heart and days with joy, but still I feel like only half of a soul.

Is there another king out there somewhere for me? Another leader of men, ruler of another small island nation, a drinker of life and salt air who would truly understand me for the man I am? Is he out there now, staring at the same stars as I, dreaming of the same armies, and the same immortal monuments?

I know he is, and I will find him! I shall build a great fleet to seek the twin of my soul, and when we find one another, we shall conquer this watery world as one!

---

'Twin Flames' will be an 8-player game with 4 teams of 2 players apiece. Partners are required to be the same nationality (in-game).

The world will be large, and littered with many small, mostly tropical, islands; lots of city-states; and more barbarians than normal.

We'll start in the Medieval era and play on 'Quick' speed.

The only victory conditions available will be military and diplomacy, which means you and your partner will have to either take everyone else's capitols or convince the city-states to band behind you against your opponents.

If you're not familiar, teams in Civ V work thus: Players start randomly in the world, so your partner might be on the other side of the world, and they might be on the next island over. Players on the same team share map data and technology automatically at all times and they win or lose as a team.

Teams:
CB and Zanthian
GHoosdum and CrazyJoe
Basil and nIghts
Midga and PirateCockHammerNinja

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    @CrazyJoe and I will beat you with a 2x4 back into the Ancient Era!

Are you setting any special rules around resource allocations or anything else different from standard?

Also, when playing as a team, does the loss of one player's capitol prevent victory, or can a team win if one player is in control of their capitol and all the other players lose their capitols?
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Bromance game is go; @Nights and I will liberate the shit outta you all.
    I sit on my throne and I wonder... Is there someone out there for me?

I survey my tiny island kingdom and know that I'm supposed to think that it is enough. I have my many concubines to occupy my bed at night, my queen to bear the heirs that fill my heart and days with joy, but still I feel like only half of a soul.

Is there another king out there somewhere for me? Another leader of men, ruler of another small island nation, a drinker of life and salt air who would truly understand me for the man I am? Is he out there now, staring at the same stars as I, dreaming of the same armies, and the same immortal monuments?

I know he is, and I will find him! I shall build a great fleet to seek the twin of my soul, and when we find one another, we shall conquer this watery world as one!

I have such a broner right now.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    @CrazyJoe and I will beat you with a 2x4 back into the Ancient Era!

Are you setting any special rules around resource allocations or anything else different from standard?
    I'll be turning off 'start bias' because it's dumb, but otherwise, no.
    Also, when playing as a team, does the loss of one player's capitol prevent victory, or can a team win if one player is in control of their capitol and all the other players lose their capitols?
    My understanding is that teams behave as a single civ for meeting conditions for victory, but the only team victory I've experienced was in a team which worked together to built the AC ship (one AC ship for the whole team).

The Domination victory reads that to win one player must be in control of all of the capitols, so I'd guess that between the two players they would have to own all 8 of the starting cities.

Same with Diplomatic victory: the team would have to receive enough votes for a victory, they would not have to try to get everyone to vote for just one of the pair.

Some experimentation may be called for to answer this question more clearly before this game starts. :)
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Also, what Civs will be allowed?
    edited May 2012
    Lets assume original civs for now. Not everyone will have the expansions, methinks.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Am waiting for responses from potential partner PMs, but I find the idea of this /very/ intriguing. I absolutely love playing teams in Civ.
    edited May 2012
    PirateCockHammerNinja and I will be building and conquering the island nations :D

--

Also, from my experience with team games so far, the two nations count as a single nation for the purposes of domination victory. Also, your city-state alliances are shared as if you were a single nation as well. I'm not sure about losing conditions, but from everything else I've seen doing it I'm comfortable assuming you would both have to be wiped off the map to lose.

As far as simply capturing the capitol and not any other city, I've a feeling that only was a victory in a 1v1, but I could be wrong. I'm up for helping experiment tonight/tomorrow/this weekend to find out what we need to know.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    Absolutely can not wait, this is the type of setting that fits a gold hungry dirty pirate.
    edited May 2012
    And a walk-on-water ninja :o

--

OT: I really don't like what the <:o></:o> face does with the smiley... It's supposed to be a "oooh" like "neat"....at least that's how I've used it since a colon with a letter or punctuation mark after was represented as a specific emotional inflection.
    Absolutely can not wait, this is the type of setting that fits a gold hungry dirty pirate.
    To stay true to your name, you will have to play as Japan...
    Okay, that's all four teams, now we just have make our first team decision: nationality.
    edited May 2012

The Domination victory reads that to win one player must be in control of all of the capitols, so I'd guess that between the two players they would have to own all 8 of the starting cities.
    I thought that all a Domination victory required was being the last player to remain in control of your capitol... if this is true, I was wondering what would happen in a team game if one player on the team loses their capitol but the other survives, and then takes over the capitols of the remaining players.

I thought that all a Domination victory required was being the last player to remain in control of your capitol... if this is true, I was wondering what would happen in a team game if one player on the team loses their capitol but the other survives, and then takes over the capitols of the remaining players.
    Hmm... I think you're right about the victory. I've always won domination by taking over all the things, but it seems from this article, that that's unnecessary. I would guess that you would both need to be in possession of your capitols. If aren't, then you've got to get them back to win. That's just a guess however, and there isn't a lot of information out on the interspaceles about team play.

I might take some time to experiment with this late tonight. Easy enough to make a hot seat game and play all the parts myself to figure it out.

tl;dr: I'll get back to you on that.
    What's with the random civs?
    Just getting the GMR set-up, we can pick our nationalities once we've decided what they will be. :)
    Sorry. I didn't realize until after I hit start that one of the teams had chosen to be Denmark, which is an expansion civ that not everyone has. I've invited you to a new version of the game so we can try again, and pick non-expansion civs this time. :)
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Oops. Way to go @Basil!
    edited June 2012
    I played all sides of a 2x2 conflict this evening to test some rules. Here are some things I learned:

While units, cities, resources, and gold can be given back and forth between teammates as usual, they cannot gift one another any land, so be careful of who claims what when cities are close together. You also cannot gift settlers to one another.

Research agreements are between teams, not players, so if one player on a team establishes a research agreement with another both members of both teams are then prohibited from making an additional agreement with either member of the other team, just as if they had an agreement in place.

Social policies don't seem to be shared in any way, and members of a team are allowed to have ideologically incompatible policies.

If your teammate is building a major wonder, it won't let you try to build it also. Once built it seems to confer no benefits on the teamate, even 'national' benefits, like lowered unit costs. Some national wonders are shared, and some are not (for example you would each need your own National College to gain those benefits, but only one of you needs to build the Manhattan Project to be able to both build nukes).

To win domination, only one of you needs to still have your capitol. In other words to win team domination you and/or your teammate need to posses your capitol city while all other players in other teams are not in possession of their own.
    My fault, I assumed DLC worked like in DoW (ie only have to buy it to use it yourself, not just to play with others).
    Oops. Way to go @Basil!
    Shudap you!
    Our Jokke army would have been glorious!
    My fault, I assumed DLC worked like in DoW (ie only have to buy it to use it yourself, not just to play with others).

I don't blame you. It should work that way. It's dumb that it doesn't.
    Also, what Civs will be allowed?
    Lets assume original civs for now. Not everyone will have the expansions, methinks.
    Basil can't into literacy, methinks.
    Et tu midga?
    I said you should take your PC >=P
    Now what am I supposed to do when I want to steal cars in a gimp suit? Gotta have some backup D:
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    I'm 12 and what is this?
    I signed on to the new game. I'm a little bit jealous that Joe and I are the only team that won't be taking our turns back to back.
    I'll rearrange the players again, so that noone is back to back with their teammate. :)
    Oh cool, I didn't even know that was possible, I thought we just started in join order.
    I can rearrange everyone except myself.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    I signed up for the new game.
    Game started. :)