Noctua and pure science at Computex 2012

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Yeah I don't care what color they are, I would 100% buy them if they are reasonably priced, are quiet, and have sufficient airflow.
  • Same, I agree with their branding strategy. It makes perfect sense to me and I would buy their goods if I needed them.
  • GargGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    I think it's a lovely color, but I suppose the blinkenlights & case window crowd may have a problem with it. No brown LEDs, after all.

Might have to get one of these new A series fans for my home rig (with no window).
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Noctua seems to have discovered the scientific truth that brown molecules generate less fan noise than black molecules.
  • Noctua seems to have discovered the scientific truth that brown molecules generate less fan noise than black molecules.
  • I've always kinda wanted the NH-C14 but $75 is a little more than I'm willing to spend on an air cooler.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I can't possibly imagine anything being quieter than the NH-D14.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    I love the color

When people see it in your case, they know you're rolling with the best
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I look forward to purchasing several of the ANC fans when they are released. Far from "wildly impractical", I can see this tech being used from consumer laptops and desktops all the way to server rooms. An insane amount of noise is generated by fans and anything that can be done to reduce that, should be. As the tech proves itself, I imagine it will find its way into more and more spaces.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    The part that is wildly impractical, at least from what I saw so far, is that there is an external box required for processing, and it's not small, and a boom microphone was on the demo unit. I cannot possibly conceive of a way this would fit in a laptop right now.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Ah, that makes much more sense. Perhaps the external box will be solidified into a fan controller that can be slotted into "floppy" or 5.25" bay. Laptop is much trickier, certainly. I didn't know about all the external needs.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    I'm currently working on several products with ANC at work and I wouldn't worry about the boom mic. I'm sure they will shrink it given the size of the ANC mics I have on the car currently in production and what other companies have. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a calibration procedure for the fan when installed in a case given the multiple places it could be located (The fan and the mic).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Amazing heatsinks; world's best. Anchored by poop brown.
  • the explanation they were giving was just like mad science stuff, noise cancellation waves created by the same noise waves, pretty cool stuff they had
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I was especially blown away by the fact that they use the blades themselves as "speakers"
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    So, less brown noise?
  • cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
    i don't know why i have a soft spot for heat sinks, but i do. thanks for the article.....and for making me realize how loud my current fans are....