The Keto diet

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Congrats, Brian! I will have to get myself into better shape with that example to motivate me!
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    Congrats. Very exciting. :)
  • WattyzWattyz Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    For some reason, this made me think of posting it here.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    so unrealistic.... Who would put Nolan's cheddar out on a trap?
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    I dunno if this is common knowledge, but I just saw Drew Carey for the first time in a few years and was shocked at how much weight he lost. Apparently, I'm pretty out of date because he did this back in 2010 with a fairly keto-sounding diet.

http://www.newser.com/story/96906/how-drew-carey-lost-80-pounds.html
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Brian, did you intentionally decide to start looking like John Peters, or is that just a coincidence?
    Has anyone seen this yet? Seems relevant.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Took the month of June off, gained 10 pounds. Wow. Back to it. Been in ketosis for three days now, doing fine.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    That looks delicious... May try this. It's zucchini season!!!
  • noisyzennoisyzen Detroit Metro
    Hi, my name is Samantha and I like cheese, bacon, and beef jerky.

Figured I'd come in and join in on the fun since I'm on day 7 of keto (And have lost 4.5lb since Monday. Yes, yes, water weight, I know, but still!) :)

Maybe y'all will fill the void in my heart that my break-up with simple carbs has left me...
    (Also, I know her IRL and she's awesome)
  • noisyzennoisyzen Detroit Metro
    edited July 2012

(Also, I know her IRL and she's awesome)

Aw, shucks. YOU'RE awesome. I'm glad to be here, seriously. I've needed some more community in my life and I think this'll do just the trick. :)

Edit: (In my excitement, I assumed you meant that last post about me. LOL. Otherwise, accept my apologies and ignore my embarrassment for being an arrogant fool.) ;)
    @noisyzen of course :D
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    I went to the doctor this morning for a planned check up. After a few days of protein loading he suggested I temporarily stop due to stomach history. I have a very acidic system and processing a bunch of amino acids has wreaked havoc on my stomach. He suggested I go high fiber for awhile, burn some fat, then consider ramping my protein gradually after loosing 20 or so pounds of fat. Suggested I eat spinach and kale to PH balance the stomach and if that did not help he could prescribe me a stronger acid blocker.

Anyone else find this a struggle? When you eat allot of protein, does it take some kind of routine to help balance the PH in your stomach so you don't feel sick? I see the suggestion of spinach and kale, is that kind of consensus for keto dieters, that the greens are necessary to balance things out down there?
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Keto isn't a whole lot of protein, though. 65% of your intake is fat, and protein intake by bulk is generally pretty close to normal.

Too much protein can also have kidney repercussions, which is why many high-protein, low-fat diets can be very dangerous.
    I don't call it the keto diet. I call it the kale diet. Yes. Tons of spinach, tons of kale.
    _k
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Speaking of kale... this is my favorite kale recipe ever. I could easily eat this as a meal in and of itself. Pretty sure it is keto-friendly:

Kale with Bacon and Cannellini Beans

3 slice(s) uncooked bacon
    3 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
    1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), diced
    1 pound(s) uncooked kale, stemmed, roughly chopped
    1 cup(s) canned chicken broth, or beef broth
    15 oz canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp sugar, in the raw

Set a large, heavy pot or skillet over medium heat; add bacon and cook to desired crispness. Remove bacon from pot and set aside; leave bacon drippings in pot.

Add garlic and red pepper flakes to bacon drippings; cook, stirring, until garlic becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add kale; cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to wilt, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add broth; cover and simmer over low heat until kale is just tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add beans; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is almost evaporated, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in salt, vinegar and sugar; sprinkle with crumbled bacon and serve immediately. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.
    Cliff_Forster
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Too much protein can also have kidney repercussions, which is why many high-protein, low-fat diets can be very dangerous.

Which is why drinking damn near a gallon of water daily is highly recommended ;)
  • bellsbells Gaming? I'm in! Ypsilanti, MI Member
    This is awesome! Congratulations on your 50 lbs!! Hopefully your progress is still going strong!

More science. Not a huge sample size, but an interesting study nonetheless.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html

LeahVoice
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    edited September 2014

I really hate it when media doesn't cite the original study, which is here: http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1900694

For a prospective human study, it is actually a decent sample size - you always want better, but anything with >100 humans is reasonable, so long as you don't try to slice them into too many subgroups, and you randomize and match each group as well as possible. A bigger concern would be that they had people self-report their diets, which is always subject to bias, and do so retroactively, rather than keep dietary notebooks in real time. One notable thing (only because of the title of this thread) was that they did not put the high fat group on a ketogenic diet, only a low carb/low glycemic index diet - they requested the group stay <40g/day carbs, which is about 27-30% of the average calorie intake of the high fat group (remaining was 20% protein; 40% fat), so this really doesn't say as much about "high fat" diets as much as it does about perhaps stepping back from "high-carb" diets to a more even ratio of macronutrients.

GnomeQueenRyanFodderCBJBoogaloo

Bewm.

http://www.menshealth.com/health/the-cure-for-diabetes

"My first line of treatment is to have patients remove carbohydrates from their diets," explains Dr. Vernon.

primesuspect
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

@RyanMM said:
    Bewm.

CBRyanMMGnomeQueen

@MAGIC said:

@RyanMM said:
    Bewm.

GnomeQueen

Here's some more good reading I've come across in the last few months.

The Sugar Conspiracy

If, as seems increasingly likely, the nutritional advice on which we have relied for 40 years was profoundly flawed, this is not a mistake that can be laid at the door of corporate ogres. Nor can it be passed off as innocuous scientific error. What happened to John Yudkin belies that interpretation. It suggests instead that this is something the scientists did to themselves – and, consequently, to us.

We tend to think of heretics as contrarians, individuals with a compulsion to flout conventional wisdom. But sometimes a heretic is simply a mainstream thinker who stays facing the same way while everyone around him turns 180 degrees. When, in 1957, John Yudkin first floated his hypothesis that sugar was a hazard to public health, it was taken seriously, as was its proponent. By the time Yudkin retired, 14 years later, both theory and author had been marginalised and derided. Only now is Yudkin’s work being returned, posthumously, to the scientific mainstream.

Primesuspect linked this elsewhere I believe but it fits nicely here as well, in case anyone missed it.

Yes, the Calorie is Broken

Humans are not bomb calorimeters, of course, and we don’t extract every calorie from the food we eat. This problem was addressed at the end of the 19th century, in one of the more epic experiments in the history of nutrition science. Wilbur Atwater, a Department of Agriculture scientist, began by measuring the calories contained in more than 4,000 foods. Then he fed those foods to volunteers and collected their feces, which he incinerated in a bomb calorimeter. After subtracting the energy measured in the feces from that in the food, he arrived at the Atwater values, numbers that represent the available energy in each gram of protein, carbohydrate and fat. These century-old figures remain the basis for today’s standards. When Baer wants to know the calories per gram figure for that night’s meatloaf, he corrects the bomb calorimeter results using Atwater values.

This entire enterprise, from the Beltsville facility to the numbers on the packets of the food we buy, creates an aura of scientific precision around the business of counting calories. That precision is illusory.

And my favorite 90 minutes of education about sugar, from Robert Lustig. I am utterly fascinated by how the metabolic pathways for fructose and glucose vary so much and how fructose mirrors alcohol to such an extent that you can categorize fructose as a poison with a straight face.

Two great slides:

The rest of the video: Sugar - the Bitter Truth

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2016

I cut out soda (sugar and diet). I've lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks.

RyanMMCliff_Forster
  • @Kwitko - I'm still doing a little diet Cola, normally 12 oz a day somewhere. I think my biggest waste sugar cutback was in coffee, for years I drank coffee with sugar, or maybe splenda as a compromise. I suppose I'm getting older or something, but all of the sudden I kinda find sweet coffee off putting and I've gone black and never going back. (Bad pun even for me)

I've gotten a fitbit, logging my steps, lifting three times a week, and just cutting back waste added sugar in many places, I'm still eating fine and I'm down 13 pounds in six weeks. That refined sugar is nutritional waste. I've learned to eat so much better recently and I'm not really missing sugar cola or packaged snacks. Honestly if you put a handful of Almonds next to a Snickers bar right now, I'd eat the Almonds, just like my head flipped a switch somewhere, somehow sweet is less appealing to me than it once was.

I've also pretty close to entirely stopped drinking. Now I do miss that a little, but my body thanks me for it. Sleeping better, have more energy for exercise, my stomach is feeling better, that's a ton of waste sugar there. Cutting out calories that do nothing for you, that's the key, you have to consume calories that your body can actually do something with. Proteins and fibers and things rich in vitamins and nutrients. You don't have to eat 90% protein, you just have to eat foods that don't waste your calories and suddenly you don't feel hungry all the damn time. You level out, your circadian rhythm gets better, you wake about the same time, sleep about the same time, find that you sustain energy much better through the day. Refined sugar is the enemy.

SnarkasmAlexDeGruven_kKwitko

Some interesting science on keto in mice was recently published. Decent summary here:

http://bigthink.com/21st-century-spirituality/ketogenic-diets-promote-longevity-and-memory