edited August 2012 in Gaming
TheironhandSnarkasmprimesuspectMAGIC

Comments

• TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Amazing.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    top secret tessellated toad tech!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    God damnit is that gorgeous. The helo downdrafts affecting the vegetation was glorious.

Only thing I don't get when going for photorealism is pimping your lens flares. Human eyes don't get lens flares...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    But cinematic, third-person cameras do.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    That vegetation under the rotors is absolutely incredible. Blows my mind.
    Theironhand
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Thrax said:

But cinematic, third-person cameras do.

Sure, but they didn't show it as an over-the-shoulder view of something, it all looked like first-person except when they showed the suit. Doesn't matter much. :)
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Fffuuu, I need to spend 3k on a computer again.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Meh. It apparently can't handle something as simple as a rear-view mirror, and that bird's flapping in the beginning was incredibly unrealistic. Cool toad, though.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    midga said:

Meh. It apparently can't handle something as simple as a rear-view mirror, and that bird's flapping in the beginning was incredibly unrealistic. Cool toad, though.

Because in the middle of a firefight, the most important thought that crosses my mind is "Hey, that bird's wings don't flap realistically." :D
    Theironhandprimesuspect
    I actually liked the water a lot, particularly the light diffusion and the DOF when the camera was under the water.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, and those effects were outstanding for sure. It's some of the finest looking stuff. But surface area is practically a flat mirror with some minor shader properties. It breaks the illusion. The second I saw the first glimpse of water at 0:15, I couldn't stop myself from frowning. Surface area effects are just... bad. It looks terrible in contrast to everything else around it.

If you can't convince with the surface, I care not for how swell it looks below. Photorealistic immersion is a package deal, all or nothing.
    BuddyJ
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Ugh I might need to upgrade to a 4-slot toaster for this.
    midga
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    mertesn said:

midga said:

Because in the middle of a firefight, the most important thought that crosses my mind is "Hey, that bird's wings don't flap realistically." :D
    But you do bring up a good point. It might not be the most important thing, but it /would/ cross your mind, and that's a distraction that could get you killed. Then it's game over, reload from spawn, all because of a damn bird flapping like a fool.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    why show off graphics tech at 720p? o.O
    Garg
    Because YouTube.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Because YouTube.

youtube does 1080p and 2k and 4k
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    YOU ALL SAW NOTHING
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    @Ilriyas YOU'RE IN THE BETA?! Why haven't we talked about this? This would be like me getting Katawa Shoujo 2: Rin's adventure starring Rin and Rainbow Dash and me playing it and never even mentioning it to you. THAT'S WHAT THIS IS LIKE.
    Ilriyas
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    NOPE NOTHING HERE
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

But surface area is practically a flat mirror with some minor shader properties. It breaks the illusion. The second I saw the first glimpse of water at 0:15, I couldn't stop myself from frowning. Surface area effects are just... bad. It looks terrible in contrast to everything else around it.

Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. That does look pretty bad. This coming from a guy that usually cranks down water detail (old GPUs), though, so maybe that's why I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.