Team Fortress 2 Mann vs. Machine "Tour of Duty" ticket explained

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• GargGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Can you finish one mission, stop playing, and play the next mission in the tour later with different squadmates? I'm guessing yes, but I don't play L4D and I want to make sure I got the fundamentals.

Does the squad surplus ticket grant an extra item at the end of the tour, a single mission, or every mission of the tour?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Surplus ticket grants an extra item for the entire party at the end of the mission it is used on. You can play each mission with a different party.
    Garg
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    This is all subject to change while we’re figure all of this stuff out. The Valve servers are slammed right now, and as I write this, I saw queues of over 10,000 players with 40+ minute wait times.
    That's probably why my update is taking forever. Why did work have to be extra long today?!
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    So is it free to play on non-official servers without rewards?
    Yes. You simply won't receive the unique cosmetic item at the end of a tour.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Anyone want to put together a group for tomorrow evening / night?

After @primesuspect rejected me, I think I'll just try out CS:GO for the evening.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Mantequilla, Bobbydigi, Pirateninja, Xena's Subtext, HonestMike, and myself played "Lobby" for 45 minutes and then gave up. It's like the early days of L4D!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    shwaip said:

Anyone want to put together a group for tomorrow evening / night?

After @primesuspect rejected me, I think I'll just try out CS:GO for the evening.

INNNNNN.
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Well this sucks lol, it kept saying "Not able to checkout now, please try again" so I kept trying to check out and it bought me 3 of those ticket things....and It said there's a 37 wait time to find a server :(.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    I'm in for a MvM night tomorrow, just give me a time
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Yeah I think I might try tomorrow instead, it's taking forever today.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    50 minute wait for me and a buddy. No thanks.

And now the Mann Co. Store is closed. I didn't know digital stores closed. Not sure if story element... or just busy server.

Edit: the latter. Store's up again. I was hoping it was more of the story coming out. =P
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I've tried for the last hour with Xena's Subtext, HonestMike. No go. Mike got in. I'm solo trying now. I WILL KILL SOME ROBOTS TONIGHT!

-Digi
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Any interest on setting the Icrontic server over to a non-official server. That way we can actually play tonight?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I think you mean: any interest in picking another server to play on tonight?
    ErrorNullTurnipBandrik
  • Hey Thrax, do you have any idea how to change the difficulty to advanced in self-made server?
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    *Playing on private local server*
    sv_cheats 1
    currency_give 10000
    Profit?

(note that achievements and such are disabled with sv_cheats 1)
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    As a person who was initially excited, I just realized that the only way folks I know are playing is with the ticket. The idea that I have to spend money to play to get a benefit bothers me. At least before it was a matter of a marginal amount of time playing.

Now, it's simply easiest to spend $0.99 and get tons of items potentially if someone is willing to spend $1.99.

I wish that the tickets were a rare drop and you could simply get them for $0.99 as a guarantee and there was no "bonus" to item drops for anyone.
    You can easily play without paying. Our dudes just want #hats.
    edited August 2012
    Thrax said:

You can easily play without paying. Our dudes just want #hats.

I think that's a part of my gripe. The benefit from buying a $0.99 ticket is huge. If it were less (aka you just got your next stage sooner or a single drop) I'd be cool.
    But hats have no benefit?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    There is another benefit to buying a ticket, and this one is huger than hats. If you don't have a ticket, good luck getting in with a good group of friends. Most of the core IC TF2 players are playing for hats, and aren't taking people without tickets.

It'll fade, I'm sure, especially once everybody has a tour or two under their belts, but for now, people want to play the Mann Up mode, get their Tours of Duty done, and get hats.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    midga
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    As I believe @Digi has pointed out, you don't have to spend money at all if you use the Mannconomy model of using scrap metal as currency.
    Yup, tickets are easy to pick up for trade. I've made two trades for tickets. 4 refined for 2 tickets and just this morning 2 craftable hats for 2 tickets. The hat trade was a steal as they are only worth about 1.3 refined each.

The game has evolved and Mann Up mode simply takes more than just joining a server. You will either have to get involved with the community and trade for one or throw a buck at Valve. Even if it is just the loot you are after you don't even have to play MvM at all. Everything involved you can trade for.

-Digi
    I understand that it can be traded, but its unavailable outside of trading unless you spend money. To this point, almost all the money stuff has been cosmetically inclined. Hats could only be gotten from uncrating which was a key. No problem here because its cosmetic. Even weapons from crates, at least it was a drop you could get.

You're pretty much locked out of a lucrative mode unless you spend $0.99, that's my only problem. Yes, I can play on unofficial servers, but there is a distinct benefit that you can pay to get. As far as I know, these items don't count against your weekly drop rate, so people who pay can get as many drops as they want.
  • hmm actually I tried playing mann up MvM on a map I already finished, and it keeps redirecting me to the mann co store :( can someone clear this up for me?
    To play Mann Up mode at all you need to have a ToD ticket in your backpack. If you beat a mission you already beat on your current tour, then your ticket is not consumed at the end and you do not receive a random item. You will however receive any items from Surplus tickets that may have been in play.

Here is an example where player Ilryas played and won on a map he had already beaten on his current tour. His ticket not consumed and his spoils displayed from the three Surplus tickets in play.

-Digi
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    @MiracleMannS If you want to play, just schedule something in the MvM Matchmaking thread and specify that it's a Non-Mann-Up game. Also, there are enough of us willing to share tickets that you could likely get in on a game anyway if you wanted. To medic behind you is easily worth some dimes and pennies to me ;3