SteelSeries World of Warcraft Legendary Edition and QcK reviewed

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Dammit. After reading this review, it seriously makes me want to go back and visit the World of Warcraft again. Jerk!
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Never again... Nice review though.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    A lot less crazy on your hands than their other WoW mice.

Are they still ridiculously large, though? That was my main issue with their other mice.
  • timuchantimuchan Fishers, IN Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I believe they are BHHammy, I chose the Razer Naga over this mouse a few weeks ago and love it. I highly recommend it especially if you are playing wow. Replaced my logitech MX and it is so much smoother and I'm not at the mercy of occasional wireless lag.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I'll admit. The mouse looks sexy.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I've had the same mouse since I bought my current PC, do they REALLY make that much of a difference or have I just gotten so used to my current one that I don't notice any issues?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    When you switch to a high-end gaming mouse, ANY high-end gaming mouse, it's a world of difference. I am absolutely in love with my Razer DeathAdder and I cannot use any lesser mouse without getting frustrated.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Ilriyas wrote:
    I've had the same mouse since I bought my current PC, do they REALLY make that much of a difference or have I just gotten so used to my current one that I don't notice any issues?

Depends on what mouse it is.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    People can pry my Razer Naga (home) and Logitech G700 (work) out of my cold, dead hands.
    edited November 2011
    Its a standard Dell laser mouse, really don't know what model it is never cared to check
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    People can pry my Razer Naga (home) and Logitech G700 (work) out of my cold, dead hands.
    Same with my Razer Mamba. Prepare to lose limbs and blood in the extraction process.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    Mark the date, ladies and gentlemen.
    R.I.P. Steelseries World of Warcraft Legendary Edition 0134. Born August, 2011. Died, August 15, 2012.

Yup. I wore out the left mouse button completely in 12 months. That also makes it the longest living mouse of my collection by far and away. (Performance MX's average 5 months; MX518's don't even make it that long. Logitech support has ME on THEIR speed dial.)

Off to Steelseries support with it! Hopefully it's still under warranty.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    RootWyrm said:

I wore out the left mouse button completely in 12 months. That also makes it the longest living mouse of my collection by far and away.

How the f-
    Snarkasm said:

RootWyrm said:

I wore out the left mouse button completely in 12 months. That also makes it the longest living mouse of my collection by far and away.

How the f-
    Quoth three (count 'em, THREE) engineering reviews from two other manufacturers:
    "It's not abuse. He just actually used the mouse THAT much."
    Guess it's probably worth noting I also average north of 500 keystrokes per minute (I use keycounter to log that, but it doesn't catch mouse clicks) on the same system. I wore through the keycaps - THROUGH them - on the Thermaltake Meka G1 in under 6 months.
    That's terrifying it took me over 5 years to wear down the right mouse button on my standard Dell to the point where it couldn't be used anymore (That was the first time I ever bought a new mouse and since then I've gone through 3 trying to find one that's comfortable with a nice DPI)
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I humbly request a picture of your current keyboard and mouse and documentation of their ages.
    edited August 2012
    Annes said:

I humbly request a picture of your current keyboard and mouse and documentation of their ages.

Current Keyboard: IBM Model M (L1-MF) manufactured December 17, 1991 in Kentucky. Keycap set is circa 2007ish. (I wore off the home row indicators.) Matrix and springs are original. Numpad is dying. eBay purchase as new in box in 2003. I get about 6-7 years out of Model M's typically.
    Current Mouse: Logitech (BLECH!!) Performance MX wireless #5. Less than one week of use. I opened the box to test it, threw it back in the box.

No photos; my keyboard is absolutely disgusting. When you type this much, there's only so much you can do to keep it from getting grody.

I really want to run an endurance challenge. Manufacturers: SEND ME YOUR INPUT PERIPHERALS. Those which stand up to my use (like this Steelseries mouse!) shall receive the coveted Golden Fedora! :D

Also, Ilriyas, srsly. Just get a Steelseries WOW Legendary. Great resolution, looks great, and it's a tiny little tank. I mean seriously, this thing lasted probably north of 20 million clicks. It'll seem uncomfortable at first, but trust me, it really does grow on you. I am going to be super sad if it's out of warranty because it really is one of the best mice I've ever used.
    @Rootwyrm I've actually been using the Cyborg RAT7 for little over a month now I absolutely love it, it's big enough for the giant paws I have for hands, the frame is aluminum and it has a good track record from reviews I've found.
    RootWyrm said:

Annes said:

No photos; my keyboard is absolutely disgusting. When you type this much, there's only so much you can do to keep it from getting grody.
    Nobody is judging you by the cleanliness of your keyboard. We just want to see what your 500 keystrokes per minute does to a keyboard over the course of a year. It's a bit like wanting to look at a horrific wreck on the side of the road - you know it's gonna be messy, but you still want to see.
    edited August 2012
    mertesn said:

RootWyrm said:

Annes said:

Nobody is judging you by the cleanliness of your keyboard. We just want to see what your 500 keystrokes per minute does to a keyboard over the course of a year. It's a bit like wanting to look at a horrific wreck on the side of the road - you know it's gonna be messy, but you still want to see.
    Fair enough, but that's where it gets, well, boring as hell. While my IBM Model M is incredibly filthy looking? There is absolutely nothing to tell you just how much use it sees. It looks like it did from the factory. Except, you know, dirty. That's why I've stuck to them, actually. They're the only keyboard that can stand up to my use pattern - and even then, I wore out an M13 (left button failure,) an M1 (matrix failure,) and an M5-2 (matrix failure.)

Will see what I can do; my camera is not so great at macro. The Steelseries and Meka G1 are far more interesting, if I can get a photo of them. The mouse is actually is worn enough that the points where my fingers rest show wearthrough on the protective coating. The Meka G1, well, I completely debunked the claims of keys being pad printed - I wore through the letters C, V, D and I think F off the top of my head. (I tore it down to see if I could do major mods to it - turned out that it'd cost more than it was worth. By a lot.)
    Ilriyas said:

@Rootwyrm I've actually been using the Cyborg RAT7 for little over a month now I absolutely love it, it's big enough for the giant paws I have for hands, the frame is aluminum and it has a good track record from reviews I've found.

Will have to look into it. Know anybody that sells them at retail? I'd pretty much kill for something that isn't complete crap with the dimensions of the Logitech Performance MX. (I have pianist's hands - my fingers are very long.)
  • Got some photos, will have to figure out to post them.

Had to update because Steelseries support really came through for me. New mouse? On the way. And unlike SOME OF THOSE OTHER PEOPLE (read: pretty much everyone) they said "yes, the mouse failed, and we're super sorry about that. We're shipping you a new one, and here's the tracking number for the shipment so you know when it will get there." Not only that, but they use the reference field so everyone knows exactly what RMA it's associated with, every step of the way.

It's the small stuff that makes a big difference sometimes. Tracking number? Yeah. That's definitely a small change that makes a world of difference. Now I'm not wondering if it's coming or when it's coming or if it got stolen. This has happened to me repeatedly with other manufacturers - RMA accepted, package received on their end, then no responses for 3 weeks until the package magically shows up. Even when I ask for a tracking number - they usually have no clue if there even IS one.

So rack up another point for Steelseries in the customer service department, and then some. They were responsive every step of the way, answered every question I had promptly and with an actual human response instead of just canned text, and take steps to make SURE folks get their warranty replacements. I would not even hesitate in the least to buy another Steelseries product.
    RootWyrm said:

Had to update because Steelseries support really came through for me. New mouse? On the way. And unlike SOME OF THOSE OTHER PEOPLE (read: pretty much everyone) they said "yes, the mouse failed, and we're super sorry about that. We're shipping you a new one, and here's the tracking number for the shipment so you know when it will get there." Not only that, but they use the reference field so everyone knows exactly what RMA it's associated with, every step of the way.

It's the small stuff that makes a big difference sometimes. Tracking number? Yeah. That's definitely a small change that makes a world of difference. Now I'm not wondering if it's coming or when it's coming or if it got stolen. This has happened to me repeatedly with other manufacturers - RMA accepted, package received on their end, then no responses for 3 weeks until the package magically shows up. Even when I ask for a tracking number - they usually have no clue if there even IS one.

So rack up another point for Steelseries in the customer service department, and then some. They were responsive every step of the way, answered every question I had promptly and with an actual human response instead of just canned text, and take steps to make SURE folks get their warranty replacements. I would not even hesitate in the least to buy another Steelseries product.

This is the same experience I had with Logitech a while back. Glad to hear others have great customer support as well.
  • Anybody know the difference between Legendary and Gold editions? I found Gold is cheaper but i dont know why. Im looking for info on steelseries site, on google but so far nothing.
  • It's likely that you're looking at two entirely different mice.
    This is the Cataclysm which is a completely different design.
    There is a "Gold Edition" which I'd expect to cost much more - it's a limited run based on the Legendary. The only difference between the Legendary Gold Edition and the Legendary is the color.
  • Yes you're right. This is what i get from Steelseries on Facebook

"the gold edition is a product we are primarily selling in the CIS countries and thus it has been prized differently."

So I'll just ask you Root, How is your mouse? Are you still happy with it? Because Im reading a LOT of bad opinions about it.
  • PS. No, Gold in all our stores is cheaper than Legendary. It seems that they both the same, just the pricese are different for different countries.
  • Weird! To tell the truth, I'd love to own a Gold, just for the collector's value. Never seen it here in the US.

But to answer your question; I still love both my SteelSeries Legendary and Wireless. I definitely prefer the Wireless - despite the rare hiccup, it's pretty much flawless. Especially in terms of ergonomics. I still use my Legendary right next to it as well, because I have a habit of forgetting to charge the Wireless. As I mentioned over here, the Wireless is much easier to click on the left/right button pairs, so I've found it a lot easier on my hand over time than the Legendary. But I still very much use and love my Legendary on a daily basis.
  • Ok. Last question (because u didnt say anything about makro making and its possibilities). How does build-in memory work? Is it memory for just storing profile files or it memorizes settings? I mean I own a4tech mouse with Oscar scripting software. I can put some macros on the buttons, save them in memory and from now on I dont need software anymore. I can take mouse to other PC with different OS and everything works.
    Can WoW mouse do the same? Or it just stores profile files to be used later with mouse software on other pc like in n52 nostromo device? Im asking because im using my a4tech both on Windows and Linux systems.
  • Ok. Last question (because u didnt say anything about makro making and its possibilities). How does build-in memory work? Is it memory for just storing profile files or it memorizes settings? I mean I own a4tech mouse with Oscar scripting software. I can put some macros on the buttons, save them in memory and from now on I dont need software anymore. I can take mouse to other PC with different OS and everything works.
    Can WoW mouse do the same? Or it just stores profile files to be used later with mouse software on other pc like in n52 nostromo device? Im asking because im using my a4tech both on Windows and Linux systems.
    To tell you the truth, I don't know as I've never tried. The Legendary keeps all the profiles as XML files in the user directory, which I automatically push around between desktop and laptop with other applications. So they're always synced up in the software. And I've never tried to use it without the drivers and software.
    I would suggest opening a support ticket with SteelSeries to ask them.