Health Assessment / New Fitness Thread

WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited September 2012 in Fitness
Alright... here goes. I started a thread before, but here's a new one. New goals - or at least paying better attention to things and tracking my calories and progress.

Had a health assessment at work for an insurance incentive, and here are the results of where I'm at currently:

Height - 5' 6"
Weight - 167 pounds
Body Fat - 36.2% (much higher than I expected...)
BMI - 27
Waist - 31 inches
Hips - 42 inches
Pant Size - between 10 and 12 (Gap/Banana Republic sizing)

I'll get more info from the blood test in a few weeks.

Ultimately I would like to make my first goal to get down to 150 pounds, but what is more important to me is feeling good and reducing my body fat percentage (I need one of those fancy machines they used!).

I've been doing Zumba regularly (1 to 2 days a week) and started getting back into lifting weights. Just need to get into a better routine.
Also started counting calories using myfitnesspal.com. Looking at 1200 calories/day to lose 2 pounds/week - not sure how accurately I'm counting (since I never eat processed food - always cook or eat food from the farmers markets or local restaurants, which aren't easy to locate the nutrition facts), but I'm trying!

I already have been feeling good going to zumba, and it's been giving me more energy, and the only time I'm really self-conscious is in a bathing suit or in shorts. I've always tried wearing clothes that are flattering, and also have noticed that I've been carrying my weight better since drinking less, although it's getting closer to the best beer season...

Just want to be healthier, ultimately. So here goes, I guess!
JBoogaloofatcatTushonMomOfRosekimono54

Comments

• JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    "Just want to be healthier"...Don't worry so much about aesthetics at first. Your last statement, that's what you should be most focused on :)

The best of luck to you and we're all here waiting to be dazzled by your awesome progress!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    YOU CAN DO IT!

Part of me wants to give some advice since I lost 56lbs. back in 2009 and currently 28lbs this summer.

But I'm not an expert by any means. @Thrax is good at this

But yea, you're gonna have to lay off the alcohol :)
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    Thanks, guys! I talk to a consultant in October about my health assessment/screening results, too, and I'm curious about what they'll say.

I have weighed about the same for the last 2 years, but I came across some pictures taken about 2 years ago, and I looked heavier (especially in the face), and I think it was from drinking a lot more. I probably only drink one or two days a week now, and it is usually only one or two beers. I'll just have to keep the consumption that low this Winter when the beers are more tempting. Or just drink a beer on Tuesdays after doing zumba for an hour and a half! :)
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    WagsFTW said:

Thanks, guys! I talk to a consultant in October about my health assessment/screening results, too, and I'm curious about what they'll say.

I have weighed about the same for the last 2 years, but I came across some pictures taken about 2 years ago, and I looked heavier (especially in the face), and I think it was from drinking a lot more. I probably only drink one or two days a week now, and it is usually only one or two beers. I'll just have to keep the consumption that low this Winter when the beers are more tempting. Or just drink a beer on Tuesdays after doing zumba for an hour and a half! :)

It's grad school, all grad students are functional alcoholics. :p
    GHoosdum
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    4 beers = 650 calories = 9 pounds a year if you're not eliminating a meal and/or doing cardio to fit those calories in.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Thrax said:

4 beers = 650 calories = 9 pounds a year if you're not eliminating a meal and/or doing cardio to fit those calories in.

Seeing that it amazes me that I don't weigh 900lbs.

WagsFTW
    Some days call for substituting beer calories for meal calories. ;) I mean, breakfast stout is basically a meal, and goes great with bacon as a side dish. ;)
    So, I definitely trailed off over the holidays, but in the last few weeks, I've been getting back in a routine, and it feels great! I gained weight up in the low 170s over Christmas, but today I am back at 168! I lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks! I'm doing zumba twice a week, lifting weights 2-3 times a week, and may also be trying out a kickboxing class or TRX class at the gym at work.

Feeling like a new person lately with some amazing changes in my life, and its really motivating me to get more healthy, too. Helps to have someone who can go to the gym at work with me, too. <3

Cheers!
    Been keeping at it, and have been going to the gym almost everyday! I've been doing weight lifting, some cardio, zumba 1-2 times a week, and I did my first TRX workout yesterday, and my entire body is sore. Also have started to notice my stomach gradually starting to flatten out (even after my burger and beer yesterday!), and my pants aren't as tight as they were a few weeks ago. Haven't yet weighed myself, but I'm feeling great, and some of my friends have already told me they are seeing a difference! Woohoo!
    primesuspectBetsyDBobbyDigiCreeperbane2
    Still keeping at it, and been going to the gym 4-5 days per week. Weights and about 15-20 minutes of cardio on Monday/Wednesday, Zumba on Tuesday (and sometimes Monday), Thursday is TRX, and Friday is just cardio (going to start increasing, currently at 25 minutes). Also started counting my calories/fat/protein/carbs etc again with MyFitnessPal and keeping track of my exercise there too. Becoming much more aware and strict on myself, and hoping to see more drastic differences. Co-workers and friends have been telling me they are noticing a difference, especially in my face. I'm feeling great. Took some pictures today as well, so that I can begin to see and notice differences as I go along.

Beefcake!
    MomOfRose
    edited April 2013
    The thing that is the most discouraging is not seeing the scale go down yet. My pants are starting to get baggier, and I have less belly spilling over my jeans. I just need to keep reminding myself that I feel myself getting stronger, and I'm getting less tired during cardio, and it will just take time. Patience is my weakness.

HumerusMegMomOfRose
    Update: 33.9% body fat. Over 2% decrease since September. :)
    JBoogalookimono54
    Sigh...
    Just completed the annual health screening today. Not much changed since last year, even though I've been much more diligent about going to the gym.

Height - 5' 6"
    Weight - 168 pounds
    Body Fat - 36.6% (somehow increased...does this fluctuate based on time of day?)
    BMI - 27
    Waist - 31 inches
    Hips - 42 inches

I need to get better about keeping track of my calories. During my last update I was being really good about it, and over the Summer with a lot of traveling, I gave up on it. Time to be more serious about beefcake (what Joe and I call working out) and eating better.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    I started tracking a bit more diligently on MyfitnessPal after I jumped up 10 pounds without watching. I started going to the gym more as well until I did something to my elbow that prevents me from being able to lift and grip at the same time, kind of ruining all my weight lifting.

I am not sure where you calorie count at, but if you want to add me on MFP my user name is the same as here.

I also finally got around to joining Fitocracy, now I just have to remember my password and use it.
    I also was using my fitness pal. I liked it a lot.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    I hope you guys didn't slip up a lot over the Christmas season.

It's a very difficult time to lose weight.
    Of course I did! Hitting up the gym tomorrow. :)
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    Tomorrow, that a heavy way to start the new year. All the best and let us know how you get on.

Well, my weight has fluctuated over the last year or two, but April 2013 I was at 172, and today I'm at 166! I'm pretty happy with a 6 pound weight loss in a year. And I weigh less than I have in at least 3 or 4 years. Woot! Small victories, but they still feel good. I need to do some measurements, since I do a lot more strength than cardio, so I know I've building a lot more muscle.

ardichokeJBoogaloomertesn