ADATA HV610 external USB 3 hard drive review

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited September 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• SodaMatthew Soto Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    I assume you mean 100MB/s, as opposed to 100 millibits per second? That would be very unimpressive speed indeed =P.
  • I have a USB 3.0 external that I use for booting Ubuntu when I'm not in the mood to game. Just plug it in and it performs well enough that it's pretty seamless, you would not know you are working from an external drive. It's a nice little addition if your the type of user that likes toying around with different Linux installs without multiple partitions or dual boot weirdness on your windows drive.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    It's kind of dumb to advertise its USB3 interface while putting a 5400 rpm drive in it! If they were serious about fast data transfer it'd have a 7200 rpm drive.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Neither rotational velocity would be capable of saturating a USB 3.0 connection, so it's irrelevant either way.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    As usual, completely uninformed :tim: moment
  • I'm using a Hitachi 7200 RPM external drive for my Ubuntu install. I'm pleased with it, it's much better than my older Seagate USB 2.0 drive.
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    In fact, both rotational speeds are capable of exceeding a USB 2.0 connection, which is 480Mb/s I believe? So 60MB/s, which this clearly exceeds. As a side note, rotational speed doesn't affect sustained transfer rates as much as you'd expect. It has a much bigger impact on seek times, but since all seek times pale in comparison to an SSD, we are seeing a shift towards SSDs for cases where seek time matters, and low rpm drives for media storage and such where it doesn't matter (which external drives are perfectly suited and often used for).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    USB 3 is 5Gbit. 5-10x the fastest 7200 RPM disks. Not sure why you mentioned USB 2.
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    Oh, it was in response to Tim's comment, explaining that they advertise USB 3 because USB 2 is not sufficient.