SAPPHIRE Radeon 7750 low profile review

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• ThraxRobert Hallock 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Once upon a time in 2011, in the rainy countryside of Sweden, I told some of Sapphire's product managers that they should make a single slot/low profile/Eyefinity-ready GPU. I told them there's a market for it.

Well, here it is, @RyanMM. Here it is.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    FINALLY SWEET GLORIOUS HELL FINALLY
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    Is the DP1.2 MST spec. actually designed to support hotplugging?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Yep. Also multiplexing and daisy-chaining.
    Do the people making the DP hubs not understand how to implement the standard well enough or is it loose enough in the industry that is creates issues, concerning the contrived scheme to get set-ups to work correctly?
    edited August 2012
    The standard is well understood and thorough. Miniaturization is a silicon and logic problem, not a spec issue.
    Here is a powerpoint from the 2010 DP development conference.

There are some items in there involving timing for streams that I could see being an issue.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    We can put a rover on Mars but they can't make a standard that can be implemented in 2 years. The committee that came up with that spec should be put in the dog house.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Maybe there's not a big enough market for the hubs for the manufacturers to put more resources into it.
    Ding. 1.2 MST is a very niche feature: enthusiast GPUs, workstation and large-scale digital signage. Lucrative industries, but not big.
  • I'm looking for that vga and I' not finding any shop selling it. Does someone here knows where I can find it?

Best Regards
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161418

Newegg has HIS's low profile 7750 up. Sapph's isnt available there yet tho.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    The only downside of that HIS card is that it is not single slot. That card would not, for example, fit in the case I used for this review. I have an email out to SAPPHIRE to answer the availability question.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    When will we reach a point in miniaturization that a card can be manufactured in low-profile with a 256-bit memory bus?
    It could be done now, but such a memory bus would not benefit a GPU die of a size that consumes < 75W of power like this product. There would be more memory bandwidth than the available shaders could utilize.

Each die shrink bumps performance in this price range by about 20%, however, so whereas today's 7750 can do 1080p at medium settings, perhaps a hypothetical 9750 would do high/ultra. There could be a case for an increase bus width there, but a max of 192-bits is sufficient for gaming at 1080p resolutions, which is where products like these will sit for the foreseeable future. Shaders are also more important than memory bandwidth, to a degree.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Thanks for the explanation. I've been using low-profile cards in my HTPC for a while now and I keep seeing reviewers complain about the limited memory bus, but based upon your explanation it seems like that shouldn't be a concern.
    From SAPPHIRE PR: "It will be available all over at the end of this month".
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    GHoosdum said:

Thanks for the explanation. I've been using low-profile cards in my HTPC for a while now and I keep seeing reviewers complain about the limited memory bus, but based upon your explanation it seems like that shouldn't be a concern.

Just be glad that 64-bit memory buses are no longer found in this market segment.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Also, I've had real stability problems with my Sapphire 7750 full-size and PCI-E 3.0 enabled. I'm told this is because nobody knows how to implement PCI-E 3.0, and stay tuned for maybe a BIOS fix before the end of the year. Motherboard is an MSI H77MA-G43.
    Anything x77 (e.g. z77, H77, et. al.) is perfectly stable from our end on the reference implementations from Intel. I can't say what happens beyond those points, though.
  • thanks for the review. I have been searching for the confirmation if this card will work in low powered machine. Now I am quite sure it will work in a low powered small form factor machine. 7750 will be a decent upgrade for my DC7800
    They're available at NewEgg now for $114.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202002
  • I was just curious as to how well this thing OCs; can GPU voltage be altered and if not, how fast can this thing get stable. Right now I'm running a low profile Palit GTS450 OCed quite a bit. The HD 7750 is just slightly faster judging by charts and wouldn't really bother with this if it wasn't an upgrade. I would really like to go with a low profile 7770 or better yet a 7850, but who knows when and if they'll ever be released. There's company named Afox which makes some higher powered low profile cards in Japan, but they're next to impossible and very expensive to get imported. Since you got ahold of this LP 7750 a little early, maybe you have the inside track on what's going to be released here in LP versions from HIS, Sapphire, Sparkle, or whoever. Any input is appreciated.
  • Would this one Crossfire with integrated APU A10-3580k ? It would be amazing if it did.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    Would this one Crossfire with integrated APU A10-3580k ? It would be amazing if it did.
    Certain cards support hybrid crossfire with the A10. @freelance

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-a6-5400k,3224-4.html
    For customers who are buying GPUs in retail, you can pair a 6670 and 6570 with the A10.