Kids are jerks, but help me give them prizes

2»

Comments

• We could write a little standalone exe to count key presses or log keys and output them to some text file on a shared server. Basically it could say what computer name did what when it detects the user closed or opened whatever the actual typing program is. Then you could just analyze the text file at the end of each class.

It would require a lot of testing though, and likely would have some serious shortfalls.

If you want to give it a shot though, you can use AutoIT with close to no programming knowledge. Just read the documentation for it. It's awesome for little tasks like this.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    You could also allow them to decide when they are ready to "test for their achievement" so to speak. Like, everything is practice, but when they feel they're ready to earn it, they let you know and then give it a go with you watching. I know this is how we would probably have done it back in my typewriter-based typing class (yeah, I'm not really that old, but they used them. Was pretty cool, really).
  • Yea, I'm dreading when I have to administer typing tests for my 3rd-5th graders. I grade them based on words a minute (it is only like 20 for 5th graders but still.)
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I was just asked by my principal about teaching typing to the students at my school and in my research I found this website. It is a free site that includes most of the things discussed in this thread.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Give them a floppy, kids love floppies.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Yea, I'm dreading when I have to administer typing tests for my 3rd-5th graders. I grade them based on words a minute (it is only like 20 for 5th graders but still.)

:( fuck
  • Thrax said:

:( fuck

I thought the exact same damn thing.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Also thought the same. :-(