Any watch nerds on Icrontic?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I've often thought it would be neat to have a watch with all-retrograde hands, but the only ones I've seen are either way too expensive or are poorly styled.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    If you're looking for an eccentric watch, you might try the Minorva Jumping Hour watch. It uses the basic, but notably reliable SeaGull ST-6 mechanical movement.

This watch is unique in that the hour hand will jump five places at the top of the hour on this model. So, for example, when the watch ticks over from 12:59 to 1:00, the hour hand will suddenly leap down five places to the "1" in the lower right. It's not retrograde movement, but it's certainly eccentric!

Don't pay more than about $110 for it, though.
  • I've been a timepiece collector (mostly watches, with a few other random pieces) since my late teens. Last Christmas my super awesome wife got me one of my dream watches: A Citizen AT0940 Titanium Eco-drive.

While I do understand the whole "why do I need a watch when I have my phone" point I would rather look up the time on something that I enjoy looking at, like a nice piece of physical engineering on my wrist.
    Thrax said:

If you're looking for an eccentric watch, you might try the Minorva Jumping Hour watch. It uses the basic, but notably reliable SeaGull ST-6 mechanical movement.

This watch is unique in that the hour hand will jump five places at the top of the hour on this model. So, for example, when the watch ticks over from 12:59 to 1:00, the hour hand will suddenly leap down five places to the "1" in the lower right. It's not retrograde movement, but it's certainly eccentric!

Don't pay more than about $110 for it, though.

That is quite an ugly watch.
    The point is that such a movement exists. The dial is completely replaceable with anything else, and there are many variants on it. :) Dials are the least complicated/important part of the watch.

I've been a timepiece collector (mostly watches, with a few other random pieces) since my late teens. Last Christmas my super awesome wife got me one of my dream watches: A Citizen AT0940 Titanium Eco-drive.

While I do understand the whole "why do I need a watch when I have my phone" point I would rather look up the time on something that I enjoy looking at, like a nice piece of physical engineering on my wrist.

A Citizen Eco-Drive will likely be my next daily wear watch, when this one finished wearing out (or I get tired of it). That one has all the features I need and it's nicely styled. The titanium is sweet.
  • I ditched my watch a few years ago when it was giving my wrists trouble but I had a couple of big bitchin' Fossil watches I loved. I actually prefer the smartphone over a watch now but it's likely habitual. I enjoy seeing the time, weather, and any missed messages all at the same time.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    Didn't know we had so many watch geeks on IC! This is great.

@fatcat don't listen to Lincoln. It's not my style, but I dig that Atelier.
    Thrax said:

China is unknown primarily because the government wouldn't grant export rights until the eighties, at which time quartz was going mass-market and destroyed the economy of unprepared Chinese horologists.

Oh yeah, I definitely don't mean to diss Chinese timepieces. You'd know more about them than I would at this point - I'd like to check any you have out at ICOK if you could bring em along.

@cb I love that Akribos XXIV Davinci. Awesome looking watch.

I'm that guy that wouldn't recommend ever buying a luxary watch on Ebay (or most other online retailers) when you're talking more than $150 for a watch. Go to a jewelry shop (a reputable, local one), speak to an expert, try on some watches, make a purchase. You will definitely pay more, but if you bargain right, you'll walk away with a multi-year warranty for maintenance and free cleaning. Both are way worth the extra store-bought price. When my Tissot needs cleaning and adjustment, I just take it to the shop at home, then work on it, and they ship it back to me for free. It rules.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    @UPSLynx I think it'd be worth it to disclaim your statement in that it should only apply to luxury watches. Definitely buy a Bell&Ross through a jeweler to ensure authenticity. But for a sub-$200 (or thereabout) watch, buying online should be encouraged. These "knock-around" watches aren't available at jewelry stores but offer tremendous value for the money. I'd much rather buy an obscure auto off eBay than some overpriced quartz with a designer label from the jewelry store. Resources like the watchuseek forum usually maintain directories of reputable online vendors so people can shop smart. I think you're lucky to have a place that cleans and adjusts your Tissot fo free. You don't get that with a Rolex.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I don't really know much about watches to be honest, the only reason I'm really looking for one is because my grandfather collected them. (He told me that serving in the communications corp gave him a huge appreciation for timepieces.)

Anyways there was one really nice mechanical watch he had, I'm not even sure of the model but I think it was stainless steel, (Last I saw it I was 6) leather wristband, and I'm pretty sure that the mechanisms were at least partially visible through the face.

Considering the year he got it I'd bet without a doubt that it's a Swiss make. That said though I can hardly afford anything even similar to it on a student budget.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    haha @Lincoln am I too "the 1%" for you ;)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    @buddyj Good point, amended.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

^UNF^

midga
    edited October 2012
    The Stuhrling Legacy Classic looks nice in my opinion.
    Same model from their site.

The Lineage Classic also looks quite nice.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    @fatcat
    That is by far the only one you linked I would wear. I like classic styling and either almost stark simplicity (I won't go all the way to no hour markings) or exposed innards, but that's pretty particular. I need to have my Skagen band adjusted so I'll start wearing it again.
    I'd be shy on Stührling. They're on the blacklist for many watch aficionados, not only for their bullshit history as a company, but because they've had a pretty bad track record of using very poor movements. There are good Chinese movements as I've described, but Stührling has a reputation for not using them.

Instead look at Parnis, Sea-Gull or Seiko for pretty watches that will actually serve you reliably.
  • CB said:

A Citizen Eco-Drive will likely be my next daily wear watch, when this one finished wearing out (or I get tired of it). That one has all the features I need and it's nicely styled. The titanium is sweet.

The titanium makes it very, very light compared to other all metal watches I've worn, and the basic timer function along with the date window is nice to have. Highly recommend it.
    edited October 2012
    @Thrax what is your opinion on Invicta?

I was just having a chat with my father and he's had the same Invicta diver for the past 20 something years. (I forgot to ask the model number)
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    If I were to ever buy a watch, all I would do it for is style. This would do:
    http://www.watchismo.com/botta-helios-white-leather.aspx
    You could pair that with a simple modern 2 button suit and a skinny tie and look sharp to boot.

This is a fascinating thread. although I don't think I'll every buy an expensive watch, it's fun to read everything you guys write and see how in to it you are getting.
    Ilriyas said:

@Thrax what is your opinion on Invicta?

Junk.

I found this Seiko looking for models with leather wristbands. It's got pretty much hugely positive reviews from what I can see.

Unless I hear that it's crap I may very well grab it.
    Invicta, Skagen, Stuhrling and Swiss Legend are the big four bullshitters in watches. None of them are owned, designed, warehoused, manufactured or sourced from the countries they claim to be inspired by, and all of them use crap movements--both quartz and mechanical--to make their goods.

AVOID. They're on the brand blacklist for a reason.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    My one and only watch, a Relic Stainless Steel Chronograph. My parents gave it as a graduation present. I don't wear it as often as I would like to though.
    Reposting the Seiko Watch because it may have been missed with the posting times.
    That Seiko is pretty.
    Very pretty! Seiko is a wizard with quartz movements, too.

See if you can snag that on a deal, though, as I bet you can get it for $125 or less if you play your cards right.
    edited October 2012
    My budget was 200 and I have no idea where to look to find deals (Also Ebay scares me)

Very likely will pull the trigger before tonight.
    edited October 2012
    Where to find deals on watches:

Amazon
    Ebay (nobody bothers faking new watches that are <$200, especially if it's a well-rated seller)
    http://www.longislandwatch.com/default.asp
    http://watchhubs.com/en/
    http://www.sharkstores.com/Watches
    http://www.good-stuffs.com/Watches-clocks_c_1.html
    http://dealdoddy.com/Category/Watches/Page1/Orderby/Newest/Sort/Ascending
    http://onedaywatch.com/
    http://www.discountwatchstore.com/Flash-Sales_c_1251.html
    http://www.elitedealseeker.com/?category=watches

//EDIT: Ily, the watch you want is $102 total vs. $175 total in the US. Even after duty, tax and shipping, it'd probably still be cheaper to order in the USA.

If you really wanted to wait, you could order it and send it to my place in the US. I can pick it up and bring it back to Toronto for you in time for IC Oktoberfest.
    BuddyJ
    edited October 2012
    Found it here for $117 pretty sure it's legit and I'll get to save about $50

Also free shipping which is neat.

It also comes with a 3 year manufacturer warranty which I wasn't getting on Amazon.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    Top row, L-R: 'Seiko Cocktail Time' SARB065 (auto, JDM), Seiko 'Spork' (auto, JDM), Seiko chrono quarts (beater/daily), Bulova BVA (auto-Miyota), Tissot PRC200 chrono quartz.
    Bottom row, L-R: Seiko King Quartz (mid-70's), Seiko quartz (not sure, 1980ish), 80's Seiko 6309 series diver (auto, modded with 6105 series features), Alba (Seiko) AKA chrono 1990ish (quartz), Kenneth Cole dress, quartz, gift from wife that cannot be ungiven ;)

JDM - Japanese Domestic Market. Not typically available in North America, except if you import it yourself or find a dealer who has imported some. There are 3 very good Japanese dealers with excellent reputations, I can look them up and provide links if anyone is interested. My Spork was bought from Long Island Watch, the Cocktail Time I bought from one of the aforementioned Japanese dealers.

Messing around with a new camera I got a sorta cool shot of the Planet Ocean

The Cocktail Time is an amazing watch...it looks different from differing angles, the colour and reflections change dramatically.
    RyderIlriyasUPSLynxTushon