Nexus 4 cool kids club

ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒAustin, TX Icrontian
Got the 8 GB, I pick it up at home Thanksgiving weekend.

Who else saddled up?
ยซ134

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Who else saddled up?

Verizon. Need I say more? :grumble:
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    I dunno. Thinking about it. But I'm still happy enough with my Gnex that I think I'm going to roll with the Nexus 10.

Yeah yeah, I know, tablets. But the Gnex is so large, I don't use my Nook often anymore because it's just more convenient to use the Gnex. I'd rather have a full-size tablet at this point for dicking around on the web or for planes or whatever. With all the travel I do, I'd much rather read a book or watch a film on a tablet than my Gnex. I never use my Gnex when I'm at home to browse and chat, but I would with a tablet.

I think the Nexus 10 is the perfect inbetween for my PC and my Gnex.
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    For me, the phone has eroded every single use case I once allocated to the tablet. I haven't touched one since I got the Nexus.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    switched from vzw to tmo. picked up the 16gb version...just have to wait for tmo to send the sim card and google to send the phone.

also got $45 worth of cc points + $50 mir for switching a number + 15k alaska miles :)
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    *sigh*

When my fiancee moves onto my mobile plan, I'll probably give her my GNex and buy a Nexus 4 for myself.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    @shwaip - how are you getting the $50 for switching a number? Is that a TMo thing? Do you need to get a contract for that?

Despite my constant issues with my Evo 4G I promised Eli I would give Android another shot. We both picked up 16GB 4s and will be heading over to no-contract TMo.
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    No LTE = Dismal failure. I am disappoint. I'm sure the gain was the quad core proc, since it has no bundle with LTE like the dual core procs they always put in american phones, but by doing so they just alienate the american LTE market, which is quite a large chunk. If they're going to do that, they should have two versions.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Annes said:

@shwaip - how are you getting the $50 for switching a number? Is that a TMo thing? Do you need to get a contract for that?

Despite my constant issues with my Evo 4G I promised Eli I would give Android another shot. We both picked up 16GB 4s and will be heading over to no-contract TMo.

probably. there was a link on the side of tmobiles page while i was browsing.
  • brightbright Icrontian
    Is the $300 8GB Nexus 4 unsubsidized? I think I'm going to get this if I can do the no contract plans you told me about for the google nexus.
    Soda said:

No LTE = Dismal failure. I am disappoint. I'm sure the gain was the quad core proc, since it has no bundle with LTE like the dual core procs they always put in american phones, but by doing so they just alienate the american LTE market, which is quite a large chunk. If they're going to do that, they should have two versions.

Dual core is no longer the fallback for LTE-enabled devices. It is however not possible to make a one-size-fits-all LTE radio for all carriers with the current state of baseband technology. Also, not producing and supporting two models is much cheaper. And finally, fuck Verizon and AT&T, because they're not a value at any step of the telecom negotiating process.
    lmorchard
  • bright said:

Is the $300 8GB Nexus 4 unsubsidized? I think I'm going to get this if I can do the no contract plans you told me about for the google nexus.

Yes. The Google Play store sells only unlocked, unsubsidized devices.
  • Thrax said:

Who else saddled up?

Honorary member checking in.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I really did like my Nexus S, but got a GSIII. I'll most likely go back to whatever Nexus is out in a few years. I am happy with my GSIII though.
    Thrax said:

Dual core is no longer the fallback for LTE-enabled devices. It is however not possible to make a one-size-fits-all LTE radio for all carriers with the current state of baseband technology. Also, not producing and supporting two models is much cheaper.

Ahh, yeah I wasn't aware of that first part. As to the second, I know it's cheaper, but like, Samsung did it for the Galaxy S3, and broke all kinds of sales records. I just hope they ran the numbers to ensure that they're making more money this way. I know many friends that are not upgrading specifically because of lack of LTE.
    Thrax said:

And finally, fuck Verizon and AT&T, because they're not a value at any step of the telecom negotiating process.

I enjoy my 1MB/s downloads. I can stream pretty much whatever I want, video chat when I want, and voice chat using data so can have the smallest plan in minutes.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    Soda said:

Thrax said:

And finally, fuck Verizon and AT&T, because they're not a value at any step of the telecom negotiating process.

I enjoy my 1MB/s downloads. I can stream pretty much whatever I want, video chat when I want, and voice chat using data so can have the smallest plan in minutes.

So can I... on T-Mobile. Also, if I go over my bandwidth amount, I don't get charged overage fees.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Same here. I did a side-by-side Verizon vs. T-Mobile with Nick a couple of weeks ago and T-Mo in Detroit was a lot faster than LTE. Anecdotal, I know, but the point is: I have absolutely no speed/bandwidth issues here with T-Mobile.
    Whoah, really? Also I suppose I have an unfair advantage as I'm still grandfathered into the unlimited data plan from verizon, which will apparently not be possible the next time I upgrade phones.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Next time you upgrade phones *through VZW.

Buy your own, never be subject to stupid contract extension bullshit.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    Snarkasm said:

Ah if only they weren't $700 for anything approaching a new phone (unless you get really, really lucky on swappa).

As a person who only has decent data connections through VZW (AT&T is the next best...and has "weak" rated 3G in my area), its a shitty situation.

fatcat
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

Snarkasm said:

Ah if only they weren't $700 for anything approaching a new phone (unless you get really, really lucky on swappa).

As a person who only has decent data connections through VZW (AT&T is the next best...and has "weak" rated 3G in my area), its a shitty situation.

$299 Nexus 4 and Straight Talk SIM (AT&T) $45/month

It's time American's let VZW DIAF

Snarkasm said:

Nexus 4 is $300. Straight Talk or Simple Mobile use the 42Mbit HSPA+ from T-Mobile, and give you unlimted everything for less than $50 a month.

If Verizon is the best carrier in your area, you will continue to suffer under the weight of their monopoly.

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Thrax said:

If Verizon is the best carrier in your area, you will continue to suffer under the weight of their monopoly.

And there's the problem. I live somewhere that isn't near a true major urban area, so no one has the desire to expand here. Is anyone even planning on larger roll outs of their data networks at this point?

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Sprint has been aggressively rolling out in my decidedly non-urban area, but only for 3G so far. 3G equipment is now a lot cheaper than 4G equipment, so Sprint is going with that and building towers and leasing tower space on existing towers.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Just got a backorder email from Google, might be waiting 3 weeks for mine :(
  • At the risk of sounding :tim:-ish... is 3G speed really that bad? I can't think of a time when I was on 3G and thought "gee, this is really unbearably slow".
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    For me, in Dallas, network crawls in downtown from noon to 6P. However, that is more of a network inundation issue on HSPA+ than actual possible speeds.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    3G can be unbearably slow under load, yes.
  • ANY network will be unbearably slow under enough load.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

Same here. I did a side-by-side Verizon vs. T-Mobile with Nick a couple of weeks ago and T-Mo in Detroit was a lot faster than LTE. Anecdotal, I know, but the point is: I have absolutely no speed/bandwidth issues here with T-Mobile.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised. It's the exact opposite here though. Verizon > everyone in Oklahoma City.