THQ goes all Humble Bumble

BasilBasil NubcaekEngland Icrontian
edited November 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    Epic!
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    The only downside to this is that this is the first Humble Bundle that isn't DRM free.

Still a fantastic deal.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    Check out all the butthurt about this bundle: Penny Arcade, Ars Technica.

They're both wrong, and the reasons are probably obvious.
    • THQ is wrong for making a quick buck, because they recently laid off staff? Seems to me they're trying to keep the staff they've got.
    • There should have been Mac and Linux, DRM-free versions of these games? Yeah, that'd be great, but those versions don't already exist, and it's not like it would be financially prudent to develop them for what amounts to a fire sale.
    • This dilutes the Humble Bundle "brand" because of the shift away from indie games, and from Mac/Linux/DRM-free.
    That's the one that really gets me. Admittedly, it's partially because the word "brand" pisses me off. Half the time, people use it when they actually mean something more tangible: the product itself, or the company. People who throw the word brand around like it's going out of style are twats and bad at marketing or whatever the hell their job is.

But at any rate, calling this a bad move for their brand is wrong. This is adding a complementary product to their offerings with no evidence that it will distract from offering the products that their fan base already enjoys. Woot added a plethora of other offerings and even sellout.woot, and they're doing fine. Apple started selling portable music players, and that seemed to have worked out okay.

TL;DR: I bought a bunch of games for cheap today and I'm pretty stoked about it.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I was excited about this until I realized I've owned just about every game THQ's ever made for the PC since day 1
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    @Gargoyle I would love it if you wrote a rebuttal for publication
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, the butthurt is pretty absurd about this entire thing. Think about it - they recently did an Android bundle, and it did OK. The THQ bundle? It beat the Android bundle's TOTAL SALES in just about THREE HOURS.

And guess what? Almost all of that is going to charity.

Anyone who thinks THQ did this to make a quick buck is completely and utterly wrong. Not to mention the excuses listed - Mac/Linux versions? What a joke. And the Humble Bundle "brand" isn't about selling indie games. That's frigging pretentious. The "brand" is about selling GAMES to raise money for charity. That's all it's ever been about.

I expect better out of Ben Kuchera. He's one of my favorite journalists in the industry, and for him to write drivel like that is completely disappointing.

"This isn’t a Humble Bundle, it’s a Steam sale." he writes. ... sure. Ok, fine. it's a steam sale that raises money for Charity. How can you not suggest that selling indie games for ultra cheap is not classified as the same thing? Not to mention, Penny Arcade's association with Child's Play - the primary charity of the Humble Bumble. Just sounds like PA getting butthurt that they can't call all the shots this round.

Poor form, Kuchera. This is journalism of Kotaku quality. Disappointing.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    The Kotaku article about the bundle was certainly of Kotaku quality btw ;D
  • People here know me right? If there was something to complain about, I'd be likely as anyone to find it?

Complaints all invalid. This is wonderful for THQ, for charity, for the Humble Bundle crew and last but not least gamers.

Best deal ever. Absolutely nothing to complain about here, move along.
    JBoogaloo
  • To be fair, when Humble Bundle started, they did make it a point to only sell Indie games that were DRM free and cross platform. They themselves touted that as a big deal at the start. They've moved away from that lately so of course people are going to get butthurt (like people always do when things change). I find it pretty hard to believe people can get this butthurtmad about a charity event though. I mean, if you don't like the fact that Humble Bundle has moved away from their cross platform, DRM-free indie games only origins, don't buy the bundle... or just crank the charity portion slider to 100% and send all your money there. v0v
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

don't buy the bundle... or just crank the charity portion slider to 100% and send all your money there. v0v

^^THIS!

I feel all that had to be said by anyone anywhere was: "The deal itself isn’t bad, these are wonderful titles for a good price, and the support for charity is a good thing..."

C'mon, who gives a damn if its DRM-free, cross platform, etc...it's for charity. So some may believe this one doesn't raise as much as any others or that it's a company gaining a buck (as Lynx pointed out that's incorrect for both, thank you). A dollar earned for charity is one more dollar that wasn't there to begin with, that's what should really be important.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Angry nerds will always be angry nerds. 99% of the people who see the bundle won't complain about anything and will be excited to get games on the cheap while feeling good about themselves for sending some of it to charity.

The other 1% will be angry and loud and can generally safely be ignored.

I bought it as soon as I saw the first tweet about it.
    JBoogaloo
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    THQ is doing what it needs to survive. This bundle might just make it so they can release "Metro: Last Night". I applaud them for thinking outside the box
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    Bought it! Lets see if I have time to enjoy all those titles now. lol I really like the Humble Bundle Model, this is my first purchase from there, but I should now get a heads up when that have more(and now that I know what the hell it is) :)
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

I expect better out of Ben Kuchera. He's one of my favorite journalists in the industry, and for him to write drivel like that is completely disappointing.

UPSLynx
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    I am Angry!!!! OMG No LINUX!!!!!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    @bandrik it's been way too long since someone brought out that one!
  • PapapainPapapain White Lake, Mi Member
    It feels weird to me when I buy these bundles because i rarely even play the games, most don't ever get installed. I think I just use it as a means to donate to a good cause.

To bad some communities are giving it a bad rap, it is a charity after all. Hate the developer, adjust slider. Hate the games, gift them out. Hate that it is a big label...haters gonna hate I guess.

Don't hate, Donate!
    primesuspectTushonJBoogalooAlexDeGruven
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    I just got a ton of games for a buck.

Amount of fucks given: 0

PA and Ars can take their COCKSWAGGERY and HANKEYPANK somewhere else for once, you won't dilute this joy for me.
    JBoogalooAlexDeGruven
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    To good to pass up!