Steam Big Picture released

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited December 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    I'd have to say I'm really impressed by it. It runs so smooth without any problems and the web browser is just amazing. I have not tried it out on a TV yet, but I'll be sure to post something if I do.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I've had my computer on my tv for well over a year now. I've actually stopped using my consoles, even though I much prefer controller-based input, because of the utility and versatility of a computer combined with the fairly large number of games that will work with a controller on PC. So, yeah, I'm pretty much target market for this I think (though it's quite possible I'm wrong).

That said, I don't like it much. It's probably because I like the fast browsing you can do with a computer (it takes a while to scroll through stuff in Big Picture), and the fact that the chat isn't an overlay window or anything; it's a separate part. That is, I can't be chatting and using the browser without switching back and forth (if they've changed this, I apologize. I haven't tried chatting in it since beta). I'd also like it much better if it ran windowed (and if it can, well then I couldn't figure it out putting basically no effort into looking). It also seems to be a bit resource hungry, but that might have been Skype.

What I do like about it, though, is the game launcher. It 1) allows you to fairly easily download/install more than one game at a time (always been a bit of a sour point with Steam) and 2) looks pretty damn good. The text input is also a rather decent way to go about it with a controller. Props to whoever designed that.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    At first, your windowed argument didn't make sense to me. The interface is designed to run on a TV where a windowed mode just doesn't make sense. Then it occurred to me that this interface could just as easily be used as a decluttered PC interface (which could be quite useful).

Maybe Valve will allow a windowed Big Picture interface in the future.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    @mertesn Right. I'm on a tv, and if all I was doing was gaming, then it'd be perfect full-screen. I'd like to be able to see my Skype without switching out, though.

I'm also going to have to test this out later, but I think you still have to use a keyboard and mouse when you invite people to a game through the Steam overlay. I can't remember if I tried that through Big Picture last night, or if I only did it after switching back to normal Steam. It bothers the crap out of me when I'm playing BL2, though.
  • I'm gonna need a long HDMI cable.....
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I'm gonna need a long HDMI cable.....

HDMI cables have gone way down in price over the last few years.

• I want this as a cloud based service with a little box for delivery and a couple dedicated controllers like OnLive. I'm not going to make the investment necessary for a second PC, and I'm definitely not putting my PC right next to my home theater (my wife would finally kill me)..... I love this idea, I want access to certain games from the couch, but the logistics of it for today, just too clunky for my set up. I'm sure it will get there.
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    Big picture plus a port to linux? vavle's gotta be working on a console.