Epepc has been corrupted error 92h?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited December 2012 in Science & Tech
I got a call today to install an SSD and Windows 7 HP in a Dell D630 laptop. I brought it home to do the work over the weekend. I set the BIOS to boot from the CD first and then the hard drive, as usual, but when starting the computer, it will only give a line about "Epepc has been corrupted, error 92h", and it won't try to run the boot cd or anything. I went all through the bios and set the defaults, saved it, then went back in and reset the boot sequence to CD then hard drive, but it still has the same problem.

I looked it up on google, and Epepc is some sort of McAfee security thing. How does it have McAfee anything on it when I just put in a different hard drive? If this other hard drive once had McAfee on it, it shouldn't be working before the computer even loads up, should it?

How to fix this?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    How new is this PC?
    Did you try putting the old hard drive back in?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    It's about a 2008 model, it didnt have the original hard drive with it.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Ok, is this a Microsoft Win 7 HP CD you are trying to boot from?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2012
    Epepc is endpoint encryption, you have a situation where someone installed security software that is accessed at boot. The computer will not boot this way, as the software requires a password set up at install time. the boot sector on the SSD is trying to access an encrypted volume on the SSD.

You took on a major task, as it takes advanced hacking skill to alter NTLDR to bypass the encrypted volume access. I am not gonna tell you in detail how, contact MacAfee for instructions on how to wipe the volume on the SSD properly. You cannot image an endpoint encrypted volume, copy it with imaging software like Acronis (for instance), and get it to load later. Whole SSD would have to be wiped.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/41507

refers to one way to possibly get the machine to boot, but you get to lose all data on the SSD to load a bootable windows onto the computer.
    edited December 2012
    When I get on my Xbox tonight, I'll hook up the SSD as the only hard drive in my main PC, and use an XP boot disk to do a full NTFS format. That should wipe the whole thing out. There's nothing on it that has to be saved.

And if that doesn't work, my copy of Active Killdisk will wipe it the hard way!
    Doing the full NTFS format from an XP boot disk fixed the problem. Wiped everything out and cleared it. Then I was able to load 7 HP with no problems.