Icrontic picks: Five games we loved in 2012

2»

Comments

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    I'm tryin to come up with a drinking game for skylanders. Have no rules so far i just drink as i am playing. I just love the game (reminds me of older arcade style game like marvel ultimate aliance and champions of norrath)
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    Tim said:

Starcraft 2, Team Fortress 2, World of Warcraft, Halo 2, Halo 4.

Am I the only RTS player here?

I play Faster Than Light if you really want to stretch what you would consider an RTS.

My top 5 games would probably be Borderlands 2, Faster Than Light, TF2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and Roller Coaster Tycoon. Yes I know RCT is 13 years old and, yes I played it a kid, and yes its still probably the greatest game ever.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    I played so little for myself this year. I did play allot with my kid on the Wii. Madden 13 on the Wii is actually pretty phenomenal, the point and pass system is intuitive and fun. Lego Batman 2, DC Super Hero's on the Wii is really good.

For me, I did get in Mafia II early this year on PC, and highly recommend a play through. Good story even if it's a little predictable. It's game-play is like Grand Theft Auto light, which I found to be a good thing. Just enough freedom to feel open world, but not too much so you stay on track with the story which is the meat of the experience.

I'll get chastised for it, but Angry Birds Star Wars is ingenious. I know it's common for post adolescent self proclaimed hardcore gamers to hate everything Angry Birds, but this middle aged I only got ten minutes to play around today gamer loves everything about it. It's successful because it's easily accessible, fun and it's marketed very well. How do you make peanut butter better? Chocolate baby! It's like that. Angry Birds + Star Wars = a delicious casual gaming experience.

Gotta be honest, Mann vs. Machine..... Meh..... Not trolling, just found myself more likely to go back to familiar game types. I just prefer a good payload match. Not to mention I find the whole Mannconomy thing frustrating ever since I foolishly traded away Bill's Hat. Still love TF2 as a casual drop in and play experience, but I just can't get that hardcore about it.

I played Limbo, not epic, but enjoyable, a good play-through for a budget title. It's dark, atmospheric, the 2D animations are really smooth. If you like puzzle platforming you should play it.

Black Mesa, while not exactly innovative, it's Half Life in HD for free. Play it!

Portal 2, did I play it in 2011, or 2012? What's it matter, I'll still profess my love for it.

Oh, and let's not forget The Pinball Arcade. I currently play on my Nexus, it's awesome, but I want it on Steam, so I met you some time ago, and this is not so crazy, here is a link, Greenlight it maybe? (Yes lame 2012 pop culture reference, my work here is done)

http://icrontic.com/discussion/96458/the-steam-greenlight-vote-this-game-up-thread

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    oni_dels said:

I'm tryin to come up with a drinking game for skylanders. Have no rules so far i just drink as i am playing. I just love the game (reminds me of older arcade style game like marvel ultimate aliance and champions of norrath)

Easy starting point: Every time a Skylander gets "tired", drink.
    oni_dels
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    That Skylanders thingy looks neat. Sorta like Heroscape hopped in bed with Eye of Judgement in the Spyro universe. Great tactic for separating parents from their cash, too.
    oni_dels
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I know it's common for post adolescent self proclaimed hardcore gamers to hate everything Angry Birds,

Actually, I don't think there is as much Angry Birds hate as you might think there is. Casual and hardcore alike: pretty much everyone loves those silly birds.

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

Easy starting point: Every time a Skylander gets "tired", drink.

only works when / if they get tired... although when i play with my GF is seems to happen more than if i'm playin solo...
    midga said:

That Skylanders thingy looks neat. Sorta like Heroscape hopped in bed with Eye of Judgement in the Spyro universe. Great tactic for separating parents from their cash, too.

it is neat, and yeah i'm not a parent (as far as i know) and it still manage to separate me from my cash... appealing to my figurine love + must collect them all + OCD...

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    1. League of Legends - It's the game I played most this year which isn't saying much since I haven't had time for many games but it keeps pulling me back in with something new to rage about every 2 weeks or so.

2. Bastion - I only played through it once and that was almost exactly a year ago now. The gameplay is fun and reminds me a lot of Secret of Mana. Not much I could say about the narration that hasn't been said already but it really does make it a unique game.

3. Mass Effect 3 - Yup

4. The Binding of Issac - With the release of the Wrath of the Lamb expansion there is almost twice as much content as there was originally. It's challenging and has a nearly limitless combination of upgrades that keeps the gameplay from getting dull.

5. Sanic The Gaem - Yes I'm totally serious. The fact that this

exists and is every bit as ridiculous as you could hope it would be amuses me to no end. It's so outrageously awful that it's incredible.
  • @Canti - I nearly forgot Bastion. Is there a game that's easier to enjoy? It's a game for everyone really. It's not too hard, not too easy. It's mystery slowly unfolding from chapter to chapter, the progression of weapons and skills are natural, just as you master something a new skill requires mastery so it never becomes stale. It's fun, it's accessible to all kinds of gamers, it's visuals are simple, but beautiful, it's music and narration are top notch. It also bucks the trend of making games longer to compete on content. It's length is just right. I'll play an amazing eight hour game before I grind it out in an average twenty hour affair any day. Bastion is a gem, one of the best experiences I had this year.