ROCCAT goes mechanical with a new keyboard debut at CES

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited January 2013 in Gaming

Comments

• ThraxRobert Hallock 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    wtf keyboard CPUs
  • PapapainPapapain White Lake, Mi Member
    ehh, why not. Getting harder to have bragging rights lately. While i would love to have something this cool looking I prefer my keyboards/mice to be more disposable (translation: rage friendly).
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian
    "And when you fall asleep...your keyboard does too. Because we're watching you. Always watching."
  • The whole 32-bit thing amuses me. Mostly because it's an incidental thing they latched onto, as a result of their requirements.
    ProTip: modern keyboards use something called a Programmable System on a Chip (PSoC). That's true of Unicomp, true of Thermaltake (Costar), blah blah blah. List goes on. Because it's cheap. Want to do USB and PS/2? That's the way. Just USB? Still cheaper than a custom IC. Nobody makes an actual straight up 'keyboard controller' IC and PSoCs have supplanted the old 8051 microcontrollers. Problem is that the maximum external accessible memory for a typical 8051 PSoC is less than 64KB - and you need at least 16KB of that for firmware best case - the IBM Model M used a more powerful Motorola 6805 with a massive 8KB EEPROM. And yes, most modern keyboards including USB are based on the 8051 and similar.

The Ryos is claiming 2MB as user programmable (via software) meaning the PSoC needs at minimum 2112KB of which 2048KB must be NVRAM which can be read and written to. The only PSoCs offering that, are 32-bit by necessity, and all ARM based. My guess is that they're using a Cypress PSoC5 or similar (STMicro STM32, NXP LPC1800, Atmel SAM4-family for example.) These are all 32-bit, all ARM (Cortex M3) and have a peak clock of 48-67MHz and ~2x the performance per clock of an 8051 (33MIPS @ 67MHz for 8051, 84MIPS @ 67MHz for Cortex-M3).
    Well, and they need that 2MB.. full LAYER programmability does that. Yes, 94 keys are programmable on top of the macro keys. So let's say 16KB per macro - that's 1504KB for that layer. Or about 4096 keystrokes per macro while estimating for LED states.

So yes. The Ryos MK is verrah sexy from a technical standpoint.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I'm liking ROCCAT more and more. If only their name wasn't stuck in caps lock. But back to the keyboard: looks nifty, and I dig the three-tier offering of MK, MK Glow, and Pro.

Also, dat Cherry MX switches.
  • JokkeJoakim Larsen Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Seems like it'll be available in Norway too. Looks like I need to invest in a new keyboard sometime in the future.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    So, I can script keyboard lighting? Wonder if I could sync it with computer audio.... I think this requires further exploration eventually.

Only problem I see is that I have no clue which keys witches (*cackle*) I'd want. I've very little educated experience with them, so would prefer to feel them all before I decide (nb4#twss). I don't know of any way to do that short of buying four keyboards, though...
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    Yes, you should be able to sync the lighting with audio. That was shown in the video, and I believe it was mentioned in the meeting (not 100% certain on that last point).

This should help you decide on switch type. I have two mechanical keyboards - one with black switches and one with blue. I've played games with both, and slightly prefer the MX Black switches because of the smooth travel. MX Blue isn't bad either, but the click might get in the way of rapid key strikes.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I didn't watch the video, but now I will make sure to. :D

And thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind while I research around. Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure all my keyboards are laptop (I'm not sure what the little cross-bracket-hinge-thingy would be called) or membrane, so my experience is probably limited to @Drasnor's DAS.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Non-mechanical keyboards use some form of rubber dome. I believe you'll immediately be able to tell the difference on a mechanical switch and, quite possibly, be ruined for life.