New gaming PCs

jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
My "gaming pc" - C2D E8400 with a 9800GTX+ - is ready to hang up its hat. In fact I haven't done gaming at all other than a little TF2 or L4D2. Mostly now it's just a file server which is how I intend to retire it as.

I'm looking to build 2 new gaming PCs. One for me and the for the wife. She actually enjoys playing games (favorite is L4D2) but never had a solid rig, which I think would allow her to get into it more.

We spend a lot of our time at home hanging out, so I really want to build these rings so we can gaming together more (admittedly I just can't get into the 360 much).

Icrontic/@Thrax previously had the great $600 PC (and other prices) segment which was awesome. I don't have a specific $600 budget, however since I'm likely buying everything X2 I'd sure as shit love keep this as cheap as possible.

As you can tell by my current PC, I've been out of the PC hardware realm for a good while. I'm looking for suggestions and advice since I really don't know where to start, specifically when it comes to GPU, processor, and mobo.

Also, I'm looking for 2 cheap gaming monitors. Like the cheapest that would still be considered a decent product. Size doesn't matter to me. If 20" will help me keep the cost down and get more out of my GPU for its money I'm fine with that.

I'm really excited about getting this build and getting back into playing games with fellow ICers. It's been too long.
primesuspect

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    YES! I can't wait to see you in games again!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    do you have any brand loyalties?

how about size preferences?
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    Nope, makes no difference to me.

I just care more about performance and the best bang for my buck, especially since im getting 2 of everything potentially.

Edit: also i just saw there were a few other threads in the last week or two about putting together a part list for a new computer, didn't mean to add another one.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    the reason there isn't a $600 gaming PC anymore is basically with prices these days you can't do it. I would put $800 as the bare minimum and you're still going skimpy. Add in a monitor and $1000 is min. If you are just going to run source engine games, an APU will handle that. Load up GW2 or Borderlands 2 you're going to want HD7870 or GTX660Ti or higher and that's $300 of your budget alone ;)

I just threw this one together few days ago for another icrontian, doesn't include case or monitor/keyboard/mouse. You can adjust accordingly

what parts can you salvage? gonna need new OS's for both PCs?
    edited January 2013
    Yeah OS I'm covered. Might have some other parts like an HD, psu, etc so hopefully I can keep costs down.

My main thing is GPU, CPU, mobo which I have no idea about. From what I gathered the 7870 is solid. Or should look higher? CPU I have no idea between amd or Intel i3, though i3 seems to be more popular.

Rest of it I suppose I can piece together :)
    edited January 2013
    Hmm if I can keep CPU/mobo cost down I might be able to get a 7950, though it might not be worth the spec trade off. I'll see what I can put together tomorrow.
    edited January 2013
    here you go, cheap gaming system ;) ($797.90 after rebates)

Solid. I'll go off of this, especially the CPU/mobo. Will bump the GPU if I can. :jared:
    edited January 2013
    yes please bump GPU if can. It's only the 1GB model in list

actually, just get this video instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131473

edit>>> I fixed image above with current 2GB GPU ;)
    See what you think about this. Different AMD processor and PSU. Same GPU as above. This is all sans monitor but I may get those a few months later and just use what we have for now.
    edited January 2013
    edited January 2013
    you might want to get a 7200rpm main drive. 5400 is probably going to be painfully slow.

edit:

also check your credit card rewards program (through the website). I get 3% extra back if i use one of my cards to pay at newegg.
    christ, i dont know how i missed the rpm. thanks for pointing that out lol.
    looks fine except the 5400 rpm HDD and I'm pretty sure you'll want 2x4GB RAM for dual channel over a single stick
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    If you're only going to do single monitor gaming, you could probably get away with a 7850. I have on right now and have very little problem on most games at 1080, anything higher resolution or multiple monitor and you're going to run into problems.
    Yeah it would only be a single monitor. If use the ones I have now resolutions would be 1920x1080 and 16XXxXXX. I was a bit worried about the higher res since eventually the smaller monitor will be replaced with one that as 1080. I suppose its not as big of a deal anymore as it used to be :P
    edited January 2013
    please go for 19x12 as a minimum when you upgrade the 16x10.

1080p is dead

preferably 2560x1600 ;)
    19x12 is dead, except in the high end IPS monitors. 1080p sucks, but that's the standard now.
  • Why pair a trinity APU with a 78XX? It defeats the entire purpose of the platform.

If you are going to put in a gamer card, and you want to utilize the AMD platform, get an AM3+ board with a pile-driver based CPU. I'm gaming great with an FX-6300. I utilize 7870's in crossfire, but honestly, one will do for just about any game you want to play single monitor.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Because the core performance of the Trinity APU is actually quite good, on par with Bulldozer/Phenom II/quad Vishera. It's a good way to cut costs.
    I ended up swapping out for a FX-6300 anyways. Similar price except 6 cores. Assuming that was a good move.
    Going to be ordering everything early next week.

Next question for you guys: Windows 7 or Windows 8.

I know Brian has bought into the Win8 hype. How about everyone else?
    my opinion: