The FitBit Thread

In the interest of allowing the Icrontic community to further creep its social tentacles into our lives, I thought it might be nice for any FitBit users out there to post their profile links. Here's mine:

https://www.fitbit.com/user/2426HF

For those of you that don't know what FitBit is, they make pedometers that also track your sleep patterns. Also they make a very nice bathroom scale. All of it syncs with their web service which lets you track all kinds of health and fitness stats including being able to track your food intake. I just got the FitBit One yesterday and have had the Aria scale since Christmas. They are both quite nice. I 100% recommend both of them. I have a few coworkers that have the FitBit Ultimate, they all like them (though the case keeps popping apart for my one coworker, a problem that was solved in the One).

Comments

• HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    WOOO someone else out there does have one! :D

http://www.fitbit.com/user/246HLW
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    I love the hell outta my fitbit.

As someone who is works from home I have a terrible habit of sitting on my ass all day and not moving. The only time I get up is to get food, take the dog out, or take a whiz - all which are like 20 steps. It's very sad.

I knew I was inactive, but getting a fitbit made me realize just *how* inactive. I set a daily goal for 10,000 steps, which I rarely ever get, but I started going on walks with the wife and dogs each evening so at least now I get 7-8k average (unless it's weekends).

Also really like the sleep tracker. I know it's not scientific, but the results are interesting nevertheless. Using the fitbit I found out my average "wake times" is anywhere from 20-40/night, which would explain why I can get 8-10 hours a sleep and still feel like I got hit by a train. Because if this information I think I'm going to schedule a sleep study soon and see if that helps.

It really is the best $99 I've spent in a long time.

Word of wisdom though: keep track of it. My wife washed hers. It fucked it up and now the battery only lasts like 4 hours so we have to replace it. On the plus side, the new model that comes up has a silent alarm and a few other nifty features.

Eventually I want to get the wireless scale as well.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
  • I love the silent alarm on the FitBit One. When I first got it, I didn't think there was any way that little thing would be able to wake me up. So far, it hasn't failed to wake me up once.
    That's good to know. Hopefully it will work for my wife too so I don't have to wake up to her alarm at 5:30am every morning... :ninja:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I'd love to get Flex when it comes out but I hate that it's just going to show that I don't move at all during the day. How good are these devices at tracking stuff in a gym? Like elliptical machines and stuff.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    I've used it at the gym on the treadmill, elliptical and arc trainers. It has worked well for all three. It tracks anything that is similar to a walking motion.

You can also track other activities on the FitBit website if you want to keep track of calories burned doing things like lifting (bro).
    Yeah its pretty damn sensitive. It's tracks just about everything.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    A question from a Facebook friend of mine "does the FitBit track calories burned during a workout like Strength Training or CrossFit?"

Thanks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    No, it does not. Particularly with respect to strength training, a full hour of lifting is only about 60 calories.
  • FitBit does automatically track an estimate of calories burned based off the number of steps taken. You can also track other activities via the FitBit website which will keep track of the number of calories burned.
  • entropicbeautyentropicbeauty Grand Rapids, MI
    http://www.fitbit.com/user/22S4VF

I love my FitBit! I'm already on my second one - I may or may not have accidentally dropped my Ultra in the toilet, but hey, it gave me an excuse to upgrade to the One!

As for tracking at the gym, it's definitely not accurately counting the calorie burn for weightlifting, and it has trouble tracking movement on a stationary bike (though I've figured out that if you switch placement from your core to your foot during a stationary bike session it's a little more accurate), but I think it's pretty spot on for most of the activities I do.
  • HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    Just walked 20478 steps, 9.5 miles with @Thrax, now it's time to sit back, relax and have some wine and cheese! :D
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    http://www.fitbit.com/user/2DMZRP Sent out requests to everyone. We need to come up with some fitbit challenges for us all to do.