video cards for multiple monitors

2»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Yes but the general rehearsal is this sunday and I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina:) If you can find me that adapter there I will pay a 100$ for it:)
  • I recently purchased an AMD Radeon HD6800, with two D-DVI outputs, and I connect two IPS Displays, made by Korean manufacturer CrossOver, which natively support 2560 x 1440. But only one port seems to be enabled. Both show up in the Catalyst Control Center software when I click on "Detect Displays, but one remains "black", with the other one showing up as Monitor 1. When I linger the mouse over that display icon, a popup says "1440 DFP, DVI, Disabled"

How do I enable the 2nd port on this card?

Thank you,
    Barry
    Thrax said:

Disclaimer: I work for AMD.

The AMD Radeon HD 6800 and 6900 Series cards support six simultaneous displays at resolutions up to 2560x1600. This requires monitors, splitters or hubs that support DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport. Using this technology, you can run 3 displays per Mini DisplayPort port on these cards. MST-enabled hubs or displays are pretty rare (and expensive) until the spring, but I wanted to point out that the multi-monitor capabilities of these cards is going to improve again in the spring.

Without using hubs or splitters, you can get four simultaneous displays working on these cards. You can connect two 1920x1200 monitors via DVI, and any monitor beyond that has to be connected to one of the two Mini DisplayPort jacks on the card. If your monitors aren't mDP, these cheap adapters will do the trick.

If you would rather use three 2560x1600 displays, connect two displays via mDP, and connect the third to the top DVI port.

At this time, NVIDIA cannot support more than three simultaneous displays, and you must buy two GPUs to do it.

//EDIT: For your needs, I recommend the Radeon HD 6850.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    2560x1440 requires a dual link DVI port. The GPU will need two such ports to connect natively via DVI, but most use one dual link and one single link (max resolution 1920x1200) to make a less expensive video card that supports more simultaneous monitors. You'll likely need to purchase an active dual link DVI adapter, or find some way to overdrive the single link. For overdriving, each GPU is different and you'll need to Google that.